1987cp's new '81 LTD 2-door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    hope you don't plan on painting the car, like ever. once that silicone gets on the paint, you're pretty much done for. it will fisheye like a bitch.
    I was lucky with my repaint. I always silicone the tires, bumper moldings, and rub strips, and have made the the mistake of trying to do the vinyl top once or twice over the years. I used silicone and grease remover all over the car, and had the painter finished prepping it and I don't have a single fish eye.
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
      Ok, so i'm not too sad about the clears.

But what about those cranks for a trade?

Man ... I should NOT have bought a two-door car with you around! And just when I'm looking forward to not having to worry about finicky electronics to keep my windows going up and down ..... :p
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Anyway, rest of the story about last night is that I went over first thing this morning and swapped starters and drove it home.

hope you don't plan on painting the car, like ever. once that silicone gets on the paint, you're pretty much done for. it will fisheye like a bitch.
        Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe View Post
        I was lucky with my repaint. I always silicone the tires, bumper moldings, and rub strips, and have made the the mistake of trying to do the vinyl top once or twice over the years. I used silicone and grease remover all over the car, and had the painter finished prepping it and I don't have a single fish eye.
        I'm hoping for a while to get away with just buffing the original paint and touching-up where it's damaged. Lack of fisheyes FTW!

Comment

How true. I have had that happen way too many times... you'd think I'd learn.

If it starts to fisheye while you are apinting, you can add a product called "Smoothie" to the paint (in the gun). That really helps to eliminate them.

After i repainted the passenger's front fender and door on my car, I had porosity in the paint. I wet sanded it, making the pores really visible, and it looked really bad. After I waxed it like 3 times (ocver the course of a year), I decided I wanted to fix the paint. So, I sanded it down, and got ready to paint. Fisheyes the first pass with the gun. The wax had caked in the pores, and caused that to happen. Smoothie helped, but it would still look better if I color sanded the fender and door.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Question

How gay would it be to buy this old LTD II trunk emblem, cut off the "II", and put it on the two-door?

Comment

Ummm...what does an emblem have to do with your sexual orientation? :confused:

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
              1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
              But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Okay, scratch "gay" .... substitute words like "stupid", "randomly destructive to historical artifacts", "detrimental to the appearance of my own car", that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
                  nice day time shots of the 81. mike I didn't know there were no chrome stocks on your 81. Plus that's the first time me seeing that different wiper stock.

What's with the wire?

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    Okay, scratch "gay" ....
                    Done.

substitute words like "stupid",
                    Slightly.
                    "randomly destructive to historical artifacts",
                    Meh.

"detrimental to the appearance of my own car", that sort of thing.
                    Depends on if you do a good job of cutting it up or not. Or you could just leave the II on there and hope no one notices.

There. That a thorough enough analysis for you? :p

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Those wheels look awesome on there. I still can't believe you got that car for 500...

As far as the LTD II emblem: Toss that bad boy on the deck lid. I'd leave the II attached, and paint the insert black (around "LTD"). It'll look fine. Besides, how many people know the difference between and LTD and an LTD II? Just say the II means that this is your second LTD. The first was a CS, and this (the second LTD) is a tudor...
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Throw the emblem on and if someone asks, say the "II" is because it's a 2door. Problem solved
                        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. The most obvious thing would of course to be the curlicue LTD script like is on the p/s C pillar, but I really don't like it that well. I've found a couple more badges I ought to consider:

I also thought about the Fox LTD badge, but I don't think it would look right. Best bet in my mind is to try to match the style of the "F O R D" lettering on the port side of the decklid.

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                          Those wheels look awesome on there. I still can't believe you got that car for 500...
                          Heh.... if you'd been the one trying to convince the dumb thing to stay running whilst pulling into the garage a couple days ago, you'd believe the price a bit better! The old Duraspark module flaked out again after only about 5 minutes' running time, and even after swapping the HEI module back on temporariliy, it still really didn't want to stay running. Methinks this engine has reached about the end of its usefulness!!

Comment

did you get it home from the video store yet?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                              What's with the wire?
                              That's a piece of old speaker wire, presumably leading to the blue-cone Alpine speakers in the dash.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                                did you get it home from the video store yet?
                                Yuppers; that was the first time temporarily rigging the HEI module. Then the starter crapped out after it fired exactly once, so I got to swap the starter in the Family Video parking lot first thing Sunday morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X