No announcement yet.

1987cp's new '81 LTD 2-door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its cool that you got a 2dr, but don't make that your daily driver just yet. I'm learning day by day that my oil burning/dripping, coolant leaking, rear end whining, no heat working, non-squirting washer fluid, cold engine stumbling, gas guzzling, burnt alt wire having, under powered, stuck in .00005" snow, brown turd of a 2dr is a real whore to drive all over. I think I'd rather ride a unicycle with no seat. AND....I get to drive to Peru IN tomorrow, YAY. I get to make up my own swear words as I drive and hope I don't die. But yes, its a 2dr. At this point, for 1,500 I'd give you my vic, all my parts for it, the spare 302, cragar S/S rims, teh whole shebang.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
      Mike, for the 302 dizzy, what slot plate you got there? I have a 13/18L that I ain't using (too much for my 11:1 engine), so if you want more than 20 degrees centrifugal advance but less that 30 the 13L slot will give you 26, so for a total of 38 mechanical you can run 12 initial. Let me know.
      All of mine are 10/15; I would imagine yours would be worth playing with if it interchanges. I imagine the inner diameter would be the important dimension ... guess I'd better go measure it. Which reminds me, I definitely need to call tomorrow on those advance springs the guy at Johnson's said he would order for me - running on both lightest springs really isn't working out very well.

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
      Its cool that you got a 2dr, but don't make that your daily driver just yet. I'm learning day by day that my oil burning/dripping, coolant leaking, rear end whining, no heat working, non-squirting washer fluid, cold engine stumbling, gas guzzling, burnt alt wire having, under powered, stuck in .00005" snow, brown turd of a 2dr is a real whore to drive all over. I think I'd rather ride a unicycle with no seat. AND....I get to drive to Peru IN tomorrow, YAY. I get to make up my own swear words as I drive and hope I don't die. But yes, its a 2dr. At this point, for 1,500 I'd give you my vic, all my parts for it, the spare 302, cragar S/S rims, teh whole shebang.
      Hehe - sounds vaguely like the problems I've already had, if only the factory engine package had been more interested in keeping on keeping on. I feel pretty fortunate I have a proven engine/tranny sitting on the floor right now, along with spares for most other things I might need. I do still need to find a second good front turn signal socket, though ...

Do you find your doors are kind of saggy and loose and generally ungainly? I also need to fix the driver's window tracks somehow, seeing how it likes to go crooked and not close right on the way up. I wouldn't have particularly gone for a 2-door, myself, except that it's what happened to come up for sale in the right condition and at the right price not 30 miles from the house.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        I wouldn't have particularly gone for a 2-door, myself, except that it's what happened to come up for sale in the right condition and at the right price not 30 miles from the house.
        Hey, you have the furthest end of each Panther spectrum. Pretty cool if you ask me. Who needs the sedan? If you get one, it better be a Mark VI. Only then will your Holt Panther Trifecta be complete.

HPT for '09?

Comment

A Fox-body Mark VI? Sure!

Comment

All of mine are 10/15; I would imagine yours would be worth playing with if it interchanges. I imagine the inner diameter would be the important dimension ... guess I'd better go measure it. Which reminds me, I definitely need to call tomorrow on those advance springs the guy at Johnson's said he would order for me - running on both lightest springs really isn't working out very well.
            Pretty sure shaft diameter is the same, tis just the length where it goes in the engine that's different, or at least that's what I've been told. As for springs, I run both light springs too, but my centrifugal don't start to come in till like 1200 rpms or so - have you tried spreading out the tabs the springs hook up to? This will increase tension on them and delay advance to higher rpms, tis what you're looking for, right?

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'm after. I hadn't thought of messing with the tabs!

Comment

A Fox-body Mark VI? Sure!
                Mark VI is a Panther chassis, doofus! :p

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

lol ya your thinking fox CHASSIS lincoln mark VII

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Nope, I was thinking of the small four-door Lincoln made around '85 and '86 that looked a lot like a Fox LTD. I had *thought* they were called Mark VI like the '79-'80-ish Panther Contis ..........

Comment

they are just continentals, fox chassis 4door, the mark VII was the first mark to be fox chassis after ditching the panther chassis to ownly the towncar. i only really like the 80-82 conties since they have the more traditional front end.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Doors are a little saggy, and thats with good hinges. Gotta realize those are some heavy mofo doors. Don't have any problems with my windows tho. Cept the pass motor is toast.

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                          they are just continentals, fox chassis 4door, the mark VII was the first mark to be fox chassis after ditching the panther chassis to ownly the towncar. i only really like the 80-82 conties since they have the more traditional front end.
                          I had not realized that.

Yay Fox Continentals! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...39_Desktop.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
                            Doors are a little saggy, and thats with good hinges. Gotta realize those are some heavy mofo doors. Don't have any problems with my windows tho. Cept the pass motor is toast.
                            That's true enough. "fordor" doors are more than heavy enough; I hope I never have a reason to remove these things. And to think how much lighter they must be than on the old Mark V, etc!

Last I heard, Tom was still lusting after my crank windows ......... :p

Comment

Check the top, drivers side hinge. Look just underneath where it bolts to the body, bad rust can usually be found there. Take care of it.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'm after. I hadn't thought of messing with the tabs!
                                Try that for now, all you need to do is pull the coil wire off, lift the cap with the plug wires, then bump the starter till the spring tab is visible through the 1/4"x1/4" access hole in the breaker plate, and then use a screwdriver to pry the tab a bit outwards, repeat for the other side - takes a few tries, but you won't spend more than 10 minutes total.

Comment

Working...
                                X