No announcement yet.

My 85 Merc 2-Door Slicktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, I don't know what that rod means.... but it looks like your oil pump died?

By the way, I love the metal roof. I wish my Marq didn't have the vinyl roof option. Hope you get her back on the road soon.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

...anyone?

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
        ...anyone?
        Driveshaft for the oil pump. Driven from the bottom of the distributor, to the oil pump. Something got past the screen in the oil pump pickup, and froze the pump. Distributor kept turning, and there you go.

Comment

Ouch. That's one reason why I'd rather have my oil pressure gauge staring me right in the face. Yikes. Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully nothing was dropped or thrown, just the bearings and oil pump?

Comment

Engine has to come out of car if all bearings fucked. Can't replace the cam bearings in the car. If I remember correctly, they are installed from the rear. I'd question the condition of the valve train as well. Valves, valve guides, rocker arms, pushrods and lifters. If they don't have oil to lubricate... well you can figure that out.

Comment

Yikes. Hope you don't need a whole new crank! Though if you do, and have some extra $$$, it might be a good time for something fun ... :3gears:

That pump rod helps me understand the concept of soft distributor gears made of bronze or plastic. I suppose then if your situation occurs, the gear would strip and the engine would die, and possibly major damage could be avoided ...
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yup, as you can imagine, that rod isnt supposed to look like that. Its supposed to be a straight hexagonal rod, not a twizzler, lol.

Im still curious as to why it froze, because the engine had just over 10,000 mi. on a complete rebuild, ran Motorcraft 5-10w30 synthetic blend, etc. etc.

But I have been reading, I did have a High Volume oil pump, and those are known for randomly going out more often than regular pumps for some reason.

From what ive read, if they get a sudden jerk, pulse, etc. they can just start twisting the rod. And just so happen, I was going up a hill, where the car DID downshift about halfway up it.

So, you can put the peices together...

No more Cheapy HV Oil Pumps for me...

Lesson learned.
                ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
                ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Bowman85merc View Post
                  No more Cheapy HV Oil Pumps for me...
                  How cheap was it?
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                    How cheap was it?
                    Cheap enough to break, haha.

But honestley I dont remember, and I just tossed as soon as I removed it basically...

---

Oh, and dont worry fellas'

Nothing from this engine will be used on the new one except the accesories and maybe the carb.

Lets just say this new engine will be a little... bigger :evil:
                    ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
                    ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

That sucks. That engine looked like a really nice build too. I like your 2 door a lot. Hope to see it back on the road soon.

Comment

Ouch.
                        1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                        2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                        sigpic

Comment

bigger engine

Originally posted by Bowman85merc View Post
                          Lets just say this new engine will be a little... bigger :evil:
                          408...??
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Do not use a high volume oil pump with a stock capacity oil pan. Were you using a higher capacity pan?

You end up moving alot more oil throughout the rest of the engine, which means there is that much less in the pan when you really need it.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

That's how I got my Malibu those many moons ago. The previous owner (kid) had a 427 BBC built up; H/C/I/E, decent rotating assembly, and a stock oil pan. I guess at that time (circa 1995), there wasn't much of an aftermarket for those G-bodies. So long story short; the kid takes the Malibu out on the first night he got it back to rte. 78 and floors it to see what that engine could do. I guess it didn't take long before he started spinning the bearings and finally blew the crank apart. The car sat at his parent's house until he decided to sell the performance parts that were still good and put all of the stock bs back on the 427. Then he sold it to the dealership that I got the car from.

In your case that sux, but an opportunity (excuse to build something nice). Perhaps a 7 quart oil pan with high volume oil pump next time?

Packman

Comment

Sorta reminds me of the mid 80's Buick GN's. I really like the two doors.
                                95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
                                96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
                                77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
                                98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
                                90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

Working...
                                X