No announcement yet.

LTDMan's '87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX (The Blue Beast) *DUW*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

second skin is pretty expensive, id prolly go with Fatmat sound deadining, looks like pretty good stuff, on ebay u can get 100 sq. ft. for $89.00
    ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
    ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

Fatmat was what I was originally considering as a cheap alternative to dynamat, but after further reading up on it, it turns out that fatmat isn't much different from common roof flashings, like which are sold at Lowe's, or any home improvement store.

A non-biased tester did a review on Fatmat, vs common RF's, and found that Ice Shield (which is a common type of roof flashing) actually outperformed Fatmat, and was only around half the price. Fatmat does have a higher heat rating though, which will make it better for area's which absorb extreme heat, like the sheetmetal roof of the car, or the floorpan areas around the cats.

I will be doing much more research into this, before I decide for sure on anything though.

Comment

Engine Updates

OK, Today, I finally Conquered the Beast.

After buying a Volt Meter, and probing around, I found that the cranking problem was being caused by a direct short to ground in the ignition switch wiring, right by the column. Looks like some of the wiring had gotten pinched when I installed the dash. An easy fix, and 5 Minutes later the engine was now cranking normally.

I also solved the No-Start condition. After replacing the entire Upper Intake/Vac Lines/TPS/MAP, Spark Plugs, Wires, Dis Cap/Rotor, Ignition Coil, TFI Module, All Fender Relays, Fuel Filter, and teh failed Fuel Pressure Regulator, the engine now fires right up, and runs like a champ. The problem was the FPR all along, but at least I got a bunch of other maintenance stuff outta the way for now.

On a side note, this special Ford tool was really hard to find. Not even the parts god's at Napa could find it for me! I had to drive over 50 miles to find a store that had it in stock, which was an Advance. The guy at the counter said supposedly these are getting harder and harder to find, as the company that makes most of them has discontinued making them, so get 'em while you can.

Gonna be throwing a Seat in, and taking my first Cruise in it soon. Looking forward to beating the ever living crap outta the Powerglide AOD, lol
        Last edited by LTDMan83; 09-28-2008, 08:52 PM.

Comment

I got my ignition tool form summit. hows the floors coming along? I had to take my whole seat and carpet again I found another pinhole leak on the drivers side so more surface rust to grind off what fun lol. at least I will paint the floors right this time. I cheaped out and didn't buy por 15 but this time is different. are you gonna keep this motor in this one? powerglide lol no second gear lol

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
            I got my ignition tool form summit. hows the floors coming along? I had to take my whole seat and carpet again I found another pinhole leak on the drivers side so more surface rust to grind off what fun lol. at least I will paint the floors right this time. I cheaped out and didn't buy por 15 but this time is different. are you gonna keep this motor in this one? powerglide lol no second gear lol

I'm still busy working on stopping the cause for the rust, which is all the leak points in the car, before I start in on the floor resto. The vent windows in the front doors leak like a bitch. I'm beginning to think that I'm gonna have to go ahead and swap the front doors from my parts car, (which don't have vent windows) to stop the leaks. I was planning on swapping doors anyway.

I'll be going with Por15 for the floorpans, as I need something durable, that I can brush on, and get down into the crevasses of the floor.

I will be keeping the original motor in this car for awhile, at least until I can find a good, low-mileage Exploder engine, for the right price.

I'm gonna try and Kill the Powerglide AOD, while having fun beating on the car, it will give me a reason to swap it out for my re-built one, at a faster pace, hehe.

Comment

Body Updates...

Had the day off from work today, for the first time in 3 weeks (besides Sundays), so teh LTD got a bit of a Body makeover.

"New" LTD Script Tails, in Mint condition. Not even the inside of Reverse Lens housing needed re-finishing. Found these on eBay, many thanks to petemang (85crownhpp) for posting the link in the eBay section of this site.

Re-using the original housings, since they are in good shape. Only thing wrong with them is the side marker brackets are rusty.

Luckily I have a set in good shape.

Good Set, Painted with HD Anti-Rust.

Re-assembled Tails.

Shots of the car with the tails installed. I also went ahead and removed the "Granny Trim", off the lower portions of the car, and I must say, I love it so much, that I think I'm gonna keep it this way permanently, makes the body lines flow a little smoother, imo.

Also went ahead and installed an old junkyard LTD Waffle Grille, well, because I love waffle grilles. I have a NOS Ford one that I'm saving for after I paint the car. I also just noticed today that the car has a Mercury Front Bumper on it , (The push blocks are closer together on the MGM Bumper) and even stranger, after looking at a pic of the '87 MIB Vic, it has a Mercury Front Bumper as well! Maybe Ford ran out of Front Bumpers toward the end of the '87 Model Year, and hit up the Mercury Plant for more. I'm still continuing my quest to find a perfect condition "Vented" 1980 LTD Front Bumper though.

Now that I have the Car Running, and looking a little better on the exterior, I will be fully diving into and finishing the rest of the Interior Project. It will take awhile though, as everything will have to be Perfect, or I will never be Satisfied with it. I will have many more pics of the process, from start to finish. Stay Tuned.
              Last edited by LTDMan83; 09-29-2008, 03:20 PM.

Comment

mang those turbines really set it off looks like you need new sealed beams lol

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Yea mang, there isn't a 15in inch wheel out there that can beat a good shiny set of Turbines.

I have a set of mint sealed beams, sitting inside my closet here. I'm waiting until I swap the front clip from the other car before I install them.

Comment

That rear-bumper is awesome!!!
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

lookin' great so far mang!
                      sigpic
                      1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Glad you got it running again. I was starting to get worried!

Good luck killing the Powerglide AOD. That tranny hasn't had 2nd gear in at least 40K miles (it was gone when my uncle bought my '82 with 78K, I swapped the trannys at 121K). About the only thing I didn't do to it was a neutral drop.

I like the granny trim gone, but you need to find some polished rocker panel mouldings off a base model or wagon.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

it is looking great i must say that i am jealous that i don't have th etime to do this to my vic.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

it is looking great i must say that i am jealous that i don't have th etime to do this to my vic.

Comment

Thanks Guys

This car is pretty much my main hobby, and the pit all my spare cash and time are thrown into. I also enjoy restoring Vintage Cars (anything Ford related), so its all pretty much a labor of love. Although it can be a major pita sometimes. This car only has 3 1/4yrs left before it will be considered a "Classic", and can receive a special license plate, and lower insurance rates.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                              I like the granny trim gone, but you need to find some polished rocker panel mouldings off a base model or wagon.

I agree, they are hard to find around here in good shape though. Most of the ones I find are usually on PI's, and have already been beaten out of shape. I would like to find a nice set though.

Comment

You're doing one helluva job restoring that CV. Are you going to find a matching front bumper? If Ford had put Ford lettering on the bumper strip like on the box MGMs, I would retain the stock bumpers that I got on my mom's car. Hopefully when I go to PA for the 292, I'll have enough time to pick up bumpers and tailights off of a 79-81 LTD.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                                X