No announcement yet.

My 1979 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice Townie! I had a '79 for about six months back in '09. It had the half glass roof option but the surrounding metal was rotting pretty bad on the passenger side. That 400 was guuuutless but smooth. What a tank of a car. Felt like the king of the world driving it. Does yours have the digital quad 8-track? It was neat to see a digital tuner in a '79. First of its kind, from what I recall. Nice to see you're taking good care of yours. I flipped mine to a Lincoln nut in Toronto (owned an interior design company called Continental Interiors, haha) and he dropped a lot of money into it making it nice.
    RyPow
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
    2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
    1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
    2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
    2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

sound system

Originally posted by RyPow View Post
      Does yours have the digital quad 8-track?
      Just the regular 8-track player. I don't own any 8-tracks though...
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

My TC got bird bombed... :naughty: At least I have the weekend off, so I'll have time to clean'er up.
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

If a car is parked outside here, it gets bird bombed regularly. I haven't moved my Vic in two days and it's gotten hit once a day
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

scary starter!

I started the car this evening BUT the starter kept on spinning and made a grinding noise! To make matters worse, I couldn't shut it off at the ignition...My step-bro was out in the parking lot with me. I popped the hood, then he took a wire off one of the spark plugs, unhooked one of the battery cables (getting shocked a couple of times) before the engine finally stopped.

I was going to drop off my car at the body shop so that Paul could get started on it this week. I'm not very happy tonight
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

stuck solenoid. that sucks man. hope there was no flexplate damage. i recall you replacing the solenoid somewhat recently? the starter might be killing it.
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I don't think it's the solenoid because the part was replaced last summer. The age of the starter is questionable though...Car was transported via flat-bed to the shop I frequent. I wrote a letter for them regarding what went wrong, so they'll have an idea of where to start trouble-shooting.
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

that's what I mean, a starter is capable of killing the solenoid that's sending power to it if it's pulling too much current through. before I replaced my starter it killed a new solenoid. the solenoid can actually get welded shut
                  sigpic

Comment

either a stuck solenoid or you have an issue with the ignition. pull the little red wire off the solenoid, and use a test light to see if its sending out power with the key off. im gonna still put money on the solenoid. the starter cant get power with out it, so i dont think the starter would be questionable at this point.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I'm going to call the shop on Monday to get an up-date...
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

current status

Starter is being rebuilt. Solenoid will be replaced. No idea if the ignition switch is bad...On a positive note, the new hood insulation arrived today
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

The barge barges on!
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm itching to drive it again...

The barge has been at the shop for two weeks now...I really miss driving it!!
                            '79 Continental Town Car
                            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

hey pat you still never got the tc back yet?
                              79 Grand Marquis

Comment

Nope...I'm going over to visit the shop after work tomorrow. I really hope they'll have some good news for me!!
                                '79 Continental Town Car
                                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                                X