No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for my own curiosity ..why did you mask the center section of the drums ?
    sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      ...to hopefully be installed this weekend.

I can see the shift knob that belong to an 80's Oldsmobile.
      1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
      1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
      1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

Originally posted by hypostang View Post
        Just for my own curiosity ..why did you mask the center section of the drums ?
        When I first installed my wheels spacers I had a problem with that ridge being to high for the wheels spacers to fit properly. I had to have the wheels spacers milled a bit so they could sit around that ridge in the drum. I didn't want any paint build up there and it will never be seen especially after I coat it in antiseize so the aluminum spacers don't bond to the metal drums.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

well that makes perfect sense
          sigpic

Comment

You can also sandblast the exterior of a drum to make very quick work of the rust.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Most definitely.

Today I finished up the egr valve...and prepped the alternator bracket for paint. Will be removing the compressor bracket and support bracket in addition to coil bracket soon. Then..eventually the cruise solenoid vacuum thing will be removed and sprayed in addition to the blower motor housing. Then the engine will be thoroughly cleaned...hope to pick up some nice cone shaped brushes if I can find some to get down deep and in between stuff.
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

What are you using for paint on the EGR valve?
                sigpic

Comment

Everything is done in Rustoleum engine primer and paint. Aluminum for the mounting base and low gloss black for the bell.

~David~

Comment

I wanna know how it holds up ... I dont like the rusty look mine has , but it gets HOT
                    sigpic

Comment

Okay I will let you know. All will be fine though. Have the rest of the intake painted with this stuff for many months now and all is good. You can just click on my sig pic..scroll down to paint and read what is painted.
                      ~David~

Comment

looking good dave mang

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Thanks Gabe.

Today I removed the radiator shroud (should have done that first lol) as well as the fan. painted the blades of the fan aluminum...the center will be painted black in a couple of days. I dont think the clutch should be painted so I may leave that alone. I removed and painted the compressor bracket, and painted the alternator bracket that I had bathing in evaporust. I removed the compressor support bracket, coil bracket as well as the coil. All hardware and everythign will be painted including the coolant reservoir bolt (90 TC style) and radiator shroud bolts...everything.
                          ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                            You can also sandblast the exterior of a drum to make very quick work of the rust.

Thank you, Nathan. That works spectacularly, but not everyone has convenient use of a blast cabinet. I did for a year or so, and it was amazingly awesome.

I do keep hoping to save up for a cabinet .... that, plus the big compressor to actually keep blasting for more than 15-20 seconds at a time. Maybe if I quit finding a need for parts ....
                            Last edited by 1987cp; 05-10-2011, 07:41 AM.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Harbor freight has a cabinet I continue to eye every time I visit.

Today I painted all of the hardware for the fan shroud, coolant reservoir, compressor bracket, compressor support bracket, coil and coil bracket...and painted all the items the hardware belongs to. I have no finger prints left because of all the sanding. Everything is coming out very nice and it should look pretty nice once the car is put back together.

I also installed the freshly painted drums and it really does make the rear end look a hell of a lot nicer between those big spokes of wheels I have.

Tomorrow I want to finish painting the fan, clean the clutch for the fan and clean all the gunk left on the engine..mainly compressor, smog pump and anything else I can access while all these items are off the car.
                              Last edited by 87gtVIC; 05-10-2011, 07:04 PM.
                              ~David~

Comment

Finished painting up the fan, painted the neck and mounting point of the clutch, painted the cruise control vacuum solenoid thingy, half of the IAC and half of the cruise solenoid bracket (two toned)...and of course all of the hardware for those pieces.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X