My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Thanks. And as far as I know the club has been around since before I was born. The idea is the perp cannot steer the vehicle because of the long arms.

lol It gives the customer added peace of mind and security.
    wait till the lock fails

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Yeah..then it would just piss me off.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

There are also tools to break those clubs, although they are expensive. I watched a guy use one on a repossession one time.

Those switches and levers you removed look just like mine...

Maybe in the future I will change them.

Good progress, David. I am doing some underhood clean up, as well... except I took the engine out. I hope it'll be worth it when I get it back together.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Thanks Nate..And does that mean I have finally not offended you by posting an engine picture? I mean look how far I have come.

These pictures were taken April 14, 2009.

And now:

~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah, looks great. Nice before and after.

The blower motor is very easy to pull out. The bottom screws are a bit of a pain, but not too bad. I painted that on mine.

I still want to pull the booster on mine, and my master cylinder cap still looks like yours did.

When I get the wiring all run, I'll get to those. Right now the wiring is all piled up on cowl...
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I am thinking about dropping the inner fender to get to the lower p.side most bolt for the blower motor. Did you do that as well?

My booster needs it BAD. But a cleaning will have to do as it is a bit more of extensive work pulling that out.
              ~David~

Comment

I did pull the blower with the fender out, although I don't think you have to. It will make it a little easier, but not sure if it'd be worth the extra effort.

When I pull the booster, I may just replace it with a new smaller diameter unit.I may do away with the power brakes altogether in the future, though, so that part remains to be seen.

Comment

I say go with the smaller one for you just so you are more ready to go come 5 speed time. That is if that is still on your mind.
                  ~David~

Comment

Trying to remember whether the lower blower-motor bolt can be reached when the suitcase is still intact.

Nathan, has anyone tried putting hydroboost on a Vic?
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

why in the name of all things good and holy would you install hydroboost in a vic?
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                        why in the name of all things good and holy would you install hydroboost in a vic?
                        Aggressive cam grinds don't provide near the vacuum that a stock grind does. Custom options can still provide a stockish idle, with excellent high rpm performance, but most aggressive OTS grinds do not provide adequate vacuum to operate power brakes.

Thus hydroboost, which cares not how much vacuum there is.

I do want to make my car a stick shift, in the future. I am undcided what I will do though. I considered eliminating power brakes all together, just to free up room on the firewall, perhaps for a clutch master cylinder.

Comment

Good point! I had not thought of that. I believe them to be horrible and evil things in the astro vans I drive but that's a pretty good idea
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

there's a few cars at work (that come in regularly) that run hydroboost or aftermarket electric brake boosters because of the cams. It seems like an extra annoyance, but that's from teh perspective of someone who has to get the damn things to warm up and watches them getting repaired.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

There is plenty of room for the clutch cable with the smaller brake booster so I would say that there is no reason to get rid of power brakes completely. I don't know how aggressive of a cam your going with but mine thumps pretty good and I haven't had any issues with loss of braking either.
                              1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                              2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                              sigpic

Comment

That engine bay does look pretty.

One of my parts guys said that one of his TCs had hydroboost. He didn't know whether or not it came like that from the factory. Probably something installed by the first owner though.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                                X