No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It'll be nice to datalog the wideband. Is there no EGR due to the heads? My heads don't have the holes for EGR, though I wish they did.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      Inside binary editor I will have to tell the datalogger to look at the EVP signal as a wideband input. I will also have to make a new transfer function mapping my widebands analog output in volts to AFR.

I should be set to datalog with AFR in addition to the normal inputs the cars A9P computer monitors.
      That's how I had mine set up years ago, worked great.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
        It'll be nice to datalog the wideband. Is there no EGR due to the heads? My heads don't have the holes for EGR, though I wish they did.
        Exactly the reason.

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
        That's how I had mine set up years ago, worked great.

Good to know. If I have issues setting this up I know who to contact to help me out.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Decent weather gave me the drive to continue with the integration of my wideband into binary editor.

Today I located and connected directly to Pin 27 (the EVP input) with my widebands datalogger output.

I have a powerprobe multimeter and it came with some fancy attachments. One of which was a wire probe:

Came in handy ensuring I was cutting into the correct wire before the cut ever occurs. It screws into the wire and is insulated for safety.

I then pursued the weeping power steering pump.

Below you can see what I am dealing with:

Coming out directly between the pump and the coupler for the high pressure line. Then the weep collects onto the low pressure line and drips onto the underbody splash shield......ultimately onto my floor:

Previously I said that a 23mm wrench was required as my 22 was too small and my 24 too big. Turns out the 23 did not fit either. 24 or 15/16 is the ticket despite being a bit loose.

Was able to snug up on it a bit without too much effort. I will keep an eye out on it.

Speaking of keeping an eye out on things……you can never be to safe nowadays:

Last edited by 87gtVIC; 12-22-2016, 06:03 PM.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

fun with photoshop

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'll take your word on the leak location, but it sort of looks like it could be between the pump body and the reservoir from what I can tell. Its a miserable spot to try and photograph though.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Resi to body is standard leak spot, yes. It's somewhat of a floating connection there, with the resi being larger than it really needs to be - weather gets cold, o-ring shrinks a bit too much, resi starts leaking.

The pressure fitting seal is also somewhat of a floater, yes the fitting clamps onto the resi via the fat o-ring but you can only tighten the fitting into the pump housing so much - it's a flat face against flat face contact. If the fat o-ring is lousy the resi will leak there no matter how much you reef on the fitting.

Both of these are why I prefer Saginaw pumps with metal reservoirs to Ford's design - the metal can is tighter around the pump at the front, and it gets clamped down solid by the discharge fitting and at least one bolt (sometimes two), nothing can move at all and if it can't move it's got a lower chance of springing a leak.
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

If you look hard and are familiar with the reservoirs' body you can tell that the leak cannot be between the pump and reservoir as the wet spots start above it. Gravity only works in one direction. In person it is clearly coming between the high pressure fitting and pump, dripping down towards the pump/reservoir seam and then dripping onto the low pressure line.
                  ~David~

Comment

Pump is still leaking from the outlet fitting. Will give it one more look over and ensure it is definitely coming from between the bump and outlet fitting and not the outlet fitting and the high pressure line before I delve into replacing anything.

This is what I have in store if the outlet fitting is in fact my pumps ailment:

Gotta find seals 389349-S and 387571-S100. Wish me luck!
                    ~David~

Comment

389349-S is the fat bitch that seals the reservoir to the 3B008 outlet fitting. It does not seal the fitting to the reservoir, as like I said you tighten the fitting till it stops moving and that's it - fitting is bottomed out against the pump's housing, and the only thing sealing the reservoir is the 389349-S o-ring's elasticity. If you need to tighten the outlet fitting to stop a leak between it and the reservoir like you did earlier, then it was not tightened down properly in the first place, and if that actually works to stop the leak but you only get like a 1/8" turn out of the fitting and you have to lean on the wrench hard to achieve so then you're running on borrowed time anyways. In any case it's a stupid design, but it is cheap and kinda works. Most parts stores sell a reseal kit for this junk, it's less than $15 IIRC and gives you all the o-rings that the pump uses plus a few extras and a front seal and maybe the shaft bushing as well.

387571-S100 seals the output fitting to the pump housing, if that was leaking I'd expect you to have low pressure in the line and thus lousy steering assist. But if you're already there, and you have the o-ring, might as well replace it.
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

I am getting an entire reseal kit just to cover all the bases. I am in no way in hell replacing things that are not leaking. Pump is staying put in the vehicle as I encounter this task.....unless of course something big requires my attention and extra effort to do so/access the ailing areas.
                        ~David~

Comment

Question: what did you use to pull the pulley off of the p/s pump?

Comment

a power steering pump pulley puller.
                            ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              I am getting an entire reseal kit just to cover all the bases. I am in no way in hell replacing things that are not leaking. Pump is staying put in the vehicle as I encounter this task.....unless of course something big requires my attention and extra effort to do so/access the ailing areas.
                              Oh yeah, don't even touch the reservoir if she's not leaking. I was talking about replacing the smaller o-ring on the output fitting tho, you'll have the fitting out anyways to get the fat low-pressure o-ring replaced so it may be a good idea to replace the o-ring that actually seals the high pressure while you're there. You're still working with just the fitting and nothing else here, sorry if I didn't make it clear last time.

Comment

Two orings on the outlet fitting are getting swapped. That is/was my plan unless the pump has other things in store for me.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X