Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    a power steering pump pulley puller.
    Do you have the brand of pulley puller that you used? Sorry for all of the questions; I had one from Professional Products and stripped it out because none of the studs threaded into the pulley correct; and the clamshell, no matter how I adjusted it, wouldn't grab the hub of the pulley. :-/

Comment

I used an OTC 4530 puller/installed set just yesterday. Not sure what David uses, but I really like mine. It has different attachments for GM and Ford. Just under $45 on Amazon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2656.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	1281114 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2657.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1281115
      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

No clue what brand mine is. My fathers from back in the day. I had to clean the threads of my power steering pump as they were boogered up. I was a scared once the reinstall came around that something would get messed up, but it held out and did the job.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks Giraffe! I will check that out.

Sorry for the threadjack Dave :-/

Comment

Two orings on the outlet fitting are getting swapped. That is/was my plan unless the pump has other things in store for me.
            Hopefully that's all there is. Factory pump I take it? It's actually pretty amazing how long these things will keep running with just basic reservoir reseals every once in a while.

I had to clean the threads of my power steering pump as they were boogered up. I was a scared once the reinstall came around that something would get messed up, but it held out and did the job.
            Yeah that's always a concern for me as well, it's even worse if you don't know for sure what thread the thing is supposed to have in there. I actually seal the new pumps there with a suitable bolt and RTV, the bolt is not holding the pulley on obviously just acts as a plug to keep moisture and therefore rust away so the pulley can easily be reinstalled if it needs to come off for whatever reason.
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Yessir. Factory pump.

Good idea on saving/preserving the threads with the bolt/sealant combo for future doings. May not be a bad idea to address that myself once I am under the hood again.
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                Do you have the brand of pulley puller that you used? Sorry for all of the questions; I had one from Professional Products and stripped it out because none of the studs threaded into the pulley correct; and the clamshell, no matter how I adjusted it, wouldn't grab the hub of the pulley. :-/
                Mine is a Lisle that I got from Amazon for about 35 bucks. Works pretty well. The really shitty ones don't grab on the pulley, the clamshell bit is just rough cast and that doesn't work. There isn't a ton to grab on to and if the clamshell isn't machined properly it will just slip off. My Lisle is more of a block than a clamshell, the two halves interlock and bolt together so it grabs the pulley hub very securely.

The stud is only for installing the pulley. Removing it you use the pointy bit to push against the center of the pump shaft.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Banged out the outlet fitting o-rings today.

Quick diagram for reference:

One last crappy view of the leak between the housing and the outlet fitting:

Outlet fitting removed after power steering high pressure line was removed.

Squashed O ring:

New orings! I purchased an entire gates rebuild kit for the power steering pump. Right now I only need the two on the outlet fitting but some day down the road I may need the others….I will be set.

New o rings on right of photo compared to the originals on the left:

The big o ring was wasted.

All looks good right now. Hope for it to stay that way.
                  ~David~

Comment

I might should save that diagram so when I need to jack with mine... Looks like the drive shaft seals need replacing on mine again. Replaced it about 8 years ago. Though if I can find the receipt and it says lifetime warranty on it, I'll just have AZ replace the whole thing when I get a wild hair to fix it. Won't be any time soon though. Beater gonna beat.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Heads-up to anyone wanting to do this, if you have a '89 or newer vehicle do NOT remove the pressure line from the fitting, instead unscrew the fitting from the pump with the line still attached and replace the fitting o-rings with it still on the vehicle. The line connection to the fitting is a swivel type and will allow you to unscrew the fitting from the pump without any issues, however if you do pull the line off you'll then need to replace the teflon o-ring that seals it to the fitting. This is a bitch to do as you have to heat said o-ring under running hot water and slide it up a cone-shaped punch till it expands barely enough to go past the threads, and then you gotta be real quick with reinstalling it before it cools down and shrinks on top of said threads and gets cut. It's an idiotic design that not only offers nothing for system reliability but actually adds another possible failure point, every vehicle I work on that needs the pump replaced if possible I roll it back to the '88-down style pump and hose which is fully user-serviceable with great ease, as shown by 87gtVIC here. Single-use teflon seals bring out the suck, if you got one avoid messing with it unless you're looking for a challenge or you're just a glutton for punishment, lol
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

oh... that would extra suck. Glad I have an 88 now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Dealt with that on my Mark VII. Tore the teflon, and it leaked like crazy. Total pain in the ass to change too, since it happened to be the one on the top of the rack.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Uncovered her and started her up. Been a week and a half since the last start up but a beat was not missed. Was under 30 degrees but the car did not care one bit. Turn key and go. I did not go anywhere right away though as I wanted to futz around with the AFR datalogging and such.

Hooked up the laptop and opened up binary editor. Selected EVP as an AFR input and set up a transfer function for it. 0volts=10.00 afr and 4volts=16 afr. I based this off of what I set the Hi and Low values within my wide band. It actually allows me to set the min and max and the analog output for the datalogger follows. Neat.

It works too which is a plus. After I figured out how to resize and arrange gauges on the dashboard of binary editor I was able to confidently say that the readings viewed by the datalogging are the same as the readings that my wideband is displaying. I did a couple datalogs just to confirm that it is infact logging and it is.

Next up was tightening the lower alternator bolt. Once that was complete I saw wetness around the bleeder for the master cylinder. I have a rubber cap over the bleeder and pulled it off and some sort of fluid came out. Grabbed a 10mm socket and snugged up on it a bit. I may have air in the lines right now because of this but the test drive after went well. May build up ambition to do a cautionary brake system bleed once the weather turns around.

Threw some convoluted tubing over some wires I had coming out of the firewall just above the computer and called everything good.

Last thing to address was the trailer hitch. I had purchased another 2” receiver cap so I can cap off both the front and rear of it so no debris gets inside. Cleaned out the inside of sand and crud and installed both caps. Not much should get inside now.

OH no more power steering fluid leak. The O rings around the outlet fitting proved to be the culprit. Very happy about that.
                            ~David~

Comment

Good on ya for fixing the leak. Before I headed out to Florida with Ashley a week ago I noticed the TB was leaking coolant, an incognito leak that had been dripping coolant onto the valve cover for who knows how long. Only noticed it while fixing my HVAC vacuum leak issues but I ripped all that stuff apart to put new gaskets on but am very happy to report that some 2600 miles later and no leaks. Car runs a bit better now too, was leaking all around TB and ingesting coolant as well as dripping it. Never leaked enough to make it on the ground though. Anyway, glad that's fixed as I was worried it would still leak after I got done with it. Great feeling indeed.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Took her out for a spin this morning. Nice brisk winter weather and she was running like a champ. Clocked ~2100 miles on the new combo and am really happy. Of course I took some pictures.

And my favorites of the morning:

~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X