No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My indicators are still regular bulbs. I don't think an LED in that spot would bother anything but they're all a lot brighter than standard lights and I didn't want that. High beam indicator is stock for the same reason.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Are the leds dimmable?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
        Are the leds dimmable?
        Yes, but take heed to what Gadget said - the high-beam indicator will be something that either never gets LED in my vehicles, or will be fed reduced voltage when parking lights are on. I actually did the reduced voltage thing to an auxiliary LED warning lamp on my dash, it was way too bright at night so I used a small relay and a resistor to drop its voltage to where its brightness was tolerable in the dark. Daytime use was full brightness and worked very well.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

yep. Dash illumination LEDs dim fine. I just don't want a bright blue headlamp indicator. I ran blue dash lights for a while, started to bother me so I changed to warm white with the stock filters. Ends up looking like stock lights but brighter. I can still cut it back if I want to.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Blue is one of the hardest colors for the human eye to process when it's in night vision mode. Red is the easiest IIRC. Guess what color the gauges on most new big trucks are - not red, that's for sure. Always found that a bit stupid, and being said gauges are pretty much just PCM-controlled LCDs nowadays I don't think one could even change the color if they wanted to...
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Everyone remember that back in October? Passengers side rear lower headbolt broke.

SO I go out today and swap in the sending units for the Autometer oil pressure gauge and water temp gauge.

Get done swapping the sending units out and refill up the radiator as a bunch of coolant came gushing out the hole for the water temp sending unit. Flush the engine out good and well with water and blow dry everything. Start the car up and let it run a while. Come back and for some reason green is still dripping off the tranny and onto the floor. Look around to see if there is a leak and sure enough the driver side lower back headbolt is weeping coolant. I go with my hand and pull the fucker right out.

Junk.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That sucks. Don't suppose it broke off where you can just extract without tearing the motor apart and change the thing right in place is there?

Think I'd be going with a different head bolt. I've recycled my stock replacement ones twice now without problems.

Comment

That is what I would like to try. It broke at the exact same length as the other one...just a smidgen below the head surface. I am going to get some sort of sleeve to put in the head bolt hole and drill the center of that some to get it centered, then proceed with the left handed drill bit and an extractor. If that proves to be successful I will install an actual stamped ARP head bolt (same ones I have on the since repaired passengers side cylinder head) and pressure test the cooling system. If I get lucky, great. If not, I would have had to remove the head anyways so no big deal.
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Jeez man, if it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all with them head bolts! That really really sucks!

Aight, here's a possibly stupid question. On some diesels it is recommended that head bolts be re-torqued after so many miles. How that is done is by following the torque sequence used when installing the head, and completely loosening and re-torquing the bolts one at a time. Now, since each bolt becomes loose all the way during this procedure (again, only one bolt at a time), it is possible to replace it if there is such need. Obviously if the bolt is brand new you're ending up with a fresh non-stretched bolt, so some monkeying around may be needed there depending on a number of factors and level of concern. However! If one is to replace all the head bolts on that head, then this becomes a non-issue. So I'm wondering, can this trick be applied on 302s as well?

Comment

That's a blow I wouldn't take so well. F-bombs abound. You seem to be handling it well lol. Wonder why it failed?
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Shit for materials would be my guess, same reason it went poof on the other side. Rear of these engines gets hotter than the front and so it expands a tiny bit more, maybe that was enough to push them things past the breaking point (literally).

Comment

Probably more of a heat treatment issue than a materials failure I'd think. If they made it too hard, it would tend to be brittle. Also possible the alloy was off.

Comment

I am taking it well for sure. I would have been more pissed if it was the same side.

In hindsight I should have replaced the bolts on that head when I had the intake off fixing up the passengers side. But then there is always "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

I know how to do the job, its more of an annoyance.
                            ~David~

Comment

Comment

I'd be pissed with that magnetic light on the roof, if my paint was as nice as yours.

OEM bolts 4 lyf
                                __________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                                The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                                It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
                                X