No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That has to be one of the cleanest engine compartments I've ever seen, especially considering the car gets driven.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Some time ago I added black seat belt sleeves that mounted up to the rocker panel to replace the cracked originals.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...16#post1386216

while on a junkyard trip this summer I came across a 1979 Ltd-s model that had really good condition black seat belt receivers with great condition black plastics.

The plastics around my seat belt receptacles were replaced and painted to somewhat match by myself years ago but the color was off and the paint wound up not sticking well and they were cracked too.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...439#post898439

This morning I went about adding the newly acquired black seat belt receptacles to my car. Came out better than I could have hoped.

before:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7348.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.05 MB ID:	1392551

during:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7350.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	1392548

Above...from left to right

Stock 87, stock 79 in the middle and my combination that I installed into my car on the right.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7349.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	1392552

I swapped the inner press button and the chrome outer cover onto the 79 black housings/plastics and receiver.

and after:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7351.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	1392547

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7353.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	1392550

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7354.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.63 MB ID:	1392553

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7355.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.02 MB ID:	1392554

and the black covers swapped into the stock belts with chrome backs

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7352.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	1392549

looks good to but the beat up plastics and crappy paint don’t do it for me.

The black plastic receptacles now match really well with the black sleeves down at the rockers. Much happy.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 10-28-2023, 01:49 PM.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I wonder if the black receivers get less scalding-hot in hot weather and sunlight...
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Id imagine more, strictly because of the low albedo of the dark color.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Black will absorb more light (heat) than other colors so it should be hotter.
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Looking good !

Comment

How hard is it to take apart those buckles? I've looked at my own before, but couldn't find an obvious way to disassemble them.
                1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Remove the buckle from the vehicle. Look at the bottom of the cover and try to pry up one corner. Usually one side has a bit of room to slip a thin flat head in. Put buckle in a vice with a set of rubber soft jaws and then from inside use that same thin flat head and tap on the backside of the tang and it will pop loose the cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7349.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	1392605

you can see the tangs in the photo above on the black cover
                  ~David~

Comment

Working...
                  X