My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
    also if that alternator support bracket is like mine you grounded it to a piece of aluminum...which is not a very good material to ground to...haha
    aluminum has better conductivity than iron or steel. assuming that bracket has good contact with the the block its fine.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

what color are you going to paint it?

black would look good

Comment

Damn, I need to step up my game. Haha. Nice work.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Vinyl Top Removal and Police Gauge Panel Install

Originally posted by jayh View Post
          what color are you going to paint it?

black would look good
          It will be painted a Dark metallic Brown color. I have to check out the color book to get an actual name. Black..everyone has black, now a Dark metallic Brown... Not many people will have that at car shows. It will probably look close to black in the shade

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
          Damn, I need to step up my game. Haha. Nice work.
          It is okay mang. I just happened to have a week off allowing me to get a few things done here and there. It is unfortunate I do not have the knowledge to do actual mechanical upgrades.

Today I wrestled with the 23 year old vinyl top. Boy was that a rough 5hrs lol. But I got it all off in roughly one piece.

Trim removed:

That rust color is from one clip that completely rusted away!:

The trim:

Just getting started:

Almost there:

Ahh:

One piece:

New police gauge panel installed:

I think it looks good.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Gonna be refinishing it in the stock brown/brown?

Looks like you're doing a bunch of good work to that car. I can't wait to see it finished and I wish I had the skills to do this stuff.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

i like how you are staying with brown, its a nice color. reminds me of the struggle i had with the lincoln and GMGTs vinyl roof lol. i also notice the vics vinyl strap is only the one piece compared to the lincoln and marquis 2 piece strap.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Are you slick topping it? Sorry if I missed this little smidget of info, you have gotten far too much work done for me to stay on top of things. I really want to see this thing done.

Edit: Done* being a relative term.... I know none of our cars will every be "Done"
                "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Night Pictures

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                  Gonna be refinishing it in the stock brown/brown?

Looks like you're doing a bunch of good work to that car. I can't wait to see it finished and I wish I had the skills to do this stuff.
                  Thanks mang. And yes brown with brown top probably. You have the skills. Everyone does. It takes mostly a lot of patience.

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                  i like how you are staying with brown, its a nice color. reminds me of the struggle i had with the lincoln and GMGTs vinyl roof lol. i also notice the vics vinyl strap is only the one piece compared to the lincoln and marquis 2 piece strap.
                  Thanks!

I really met my match with that top. By far the hardest thing I have ever done with the car.

Some night Pics with the engine off.

~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I still you should go with a black vinyl top to go with the brown pain
                    That gauge panel looks killer!
                    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Body Work Week Seven

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
                      I still you should go with a black vinyl top to go with the brown pain
                      That gauge panel looks killer!
                      We will see. and Thanks!

Brought my car in just to have the top half primered today. I still have to remove the bumpers and the bumper filler panels as well as have spots on the car touched up but I am getting closer.

It was a pain in the rear to get all of the fuzzy stuff off:

Masked off:

Layin' some primer:

The place the car is getting worked at:

The end result with a guide coat down.

Gonna have to begin wet sanding the primer soon once all of the body work is done with 400 then 600 grit sand paper. This paint is gonna be smooth!

Side note:

The car is a freakin blast to drive as of late. Coming home from the body shop my dad opened her up to 90. I think he had some fun too. All of the gauges read properly and the car is preforming flawlessly. Installed a new coolant temp sensor for the computer and the car now idles MUCH smoother and it is all around pure awesomeness.
                      ~David~

Comment

Are you going with a slick top (sorry if you already mentioned that detail)?

The dark brown is going to pop nicely! I was reading something online the other day about brown being the new black. When I drove by the local Dodge dealer yesterday, they had 3 heavy duty Rams on the front line, all brown (albeit a lighter shade).

Dark brown metallic is classy.

Good work, David! Its going to be a sharp ride. Are you passing on the police gauge bezel that I sold you?

Also... one of these days I hope to look through this thread and see images of a powerwashed engine bay...
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                          Are you going with a slick top (sorry if you already mentioned that detail)?

The dark brown is going to pop nicely! I was reading something online the other day about brown being the new black. When I drove by the local Dodge dealer yesterday, they had 3 heavy duty Rams on the front line, all brown (albeit a lighter shade).

Dark brown metallic is classy.

Good work, David! Its going to be a sharp ride. Are you passing on the police gauge bezel that I sold you?

Also... one of these days I hope to look through this thread and see images of a powerwashed engine bay...
                          New Vinyl will go on.

Thanks Nate. It means a lot coming from you. Yes the gauge bezel will be passed on in due time. Twas cracked but repaired and looks pretty much exactly like it did when I picked it off of you. It will even be reinforced with metal surrounding behind the gauge openings to prevent future crackings for future owners.

And yes I cringe every time I post a shot with the engine in it. I do want to clean it. It will happen, but by hand with scolding hot water and engine cleaner products.
                          ~David~

Comment

are there any performance mods coming?

is there a turbo or a blower in your future?

Comment

Awsome progress!

1980 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Signature Series
                              351 4 bbl, AOD, 3.08 open
                              duel exhaust with cherry bombs

Comment

If these images were in an album I you would have sticky pages if you know what I mean. Nice work, it is getting there for sure.
                                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                                X