My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always referred to those blocks as "pushers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

New Dash Speedometer Bezel

Thanks everybody!

Picked up a new speedometer dash bezel from Wagon Mafia (Matt). A little clean up and some new silver paint and it looks like new again. My old one had the mounting tabs broken so I am happy I found a good used one.

Before:

After:

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nice.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Incredible progress mang!

A few questions:

How much more do you think the vinyl top would cost if you had rolled in with the old vinyl in place?

What paint and application technique did you use on the dash? is it as nice as it looks in the pictures?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I see you have alot of time, love, and dedication into your car. You seem fairly intelligent, you should research and learn about engines. It can be rewarding improving the performance of your car yourself.

Comment

This is true, you definitely get work done, and seem to me to be quite capable of doing mechanical work. I don't even understand what you are saying half the time about relays, and wiring, and loads, and all that other fancy talk. Either way Im glad to see you getting your car looking purdy, not that it wasn't in good shape before.
              "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                Nice.
                Thanks

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                Incredible progress mang!

A few questions:

How much more do you think the vinyl top would cost if you had rolled in with the old vinyl in place?

What paint and application technique did you use on the dash? is it as nice as it looks in the pictures?
                Not sure. Probably would have been a lot more just because any normal person would roll in there with the car completely assembled so the shop would have to take everything apart which would take a couple of extra hours.

And I used a silver paint marker for that dash piece. My dad got it from a friend in 1995. All you need is a steady hand and it turns out great. Nice even strokes using the edges of the dash piece as a wrist guide and you cannot go wrong. Yes it looks as good as it does in the picture. You can hardly tell it was applied with a paint marker when all of the lines are even.

Originally posted by jayh View Post
                I see you have alot of time, love, and dedication into your car. You seem fairly intelligent, you should research and learn about engines. It can be rewarding improving the performance of your car yourself.
                Thank you...I know..I just have a know it all father that believes a HO conversion is not even possible because he INSISTS that I do not have a roller block. I know I can do stuff but it is scary because every time I do anything to my car where my dad helps he always starts arguing with me. I have been asking him to install the 3.73's we have into my car and he says there is nothing wrong with my 3.08's. Freaking 3.08's suck balls. I get SHIT fuel economy around town.

This is true, you definitely get work done, and seem to me to be quite capable of doing mechanical work. I don't even understand what you are saying half the time about relays, and wiring, and loads, and all that other fancy talk. Either way Im glad to see you getting your car looking purdy, not that it wasn't in good shape before.
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  Thanks

Thank you...I know..I just have a know it all father that believes a HO conversion is not even possible because he INSISTS that I do not have a roller block. I know I can do stuff but it is scary because every time I do anything to my car where my dad helps he always starts arguing with me. I have been asking him to install the 3.73's we have into my car and he says there is nothing wrong with my 3.08's. Freaking 3.08's suck balls. I get SHIT fuel economy around town.

I just came home with HO parts one day. My dad flipped shit about how there was nothing wrong with the current engine, and how it only had 36k and I was going to ruin it. The he was flipping shit about a new cam and "you don't need that" then eventually "we don't have space for all these parts" he even flipped shit about the new wheels. But now he wants to help me out with the motor work, and says the car looks great with the wheels. Once they know there is no stopping you they come around. Oh yeah he also said it wasn't a muscle car and didn't need a trak lok rear end, or gears any lower than 2.73s... So I know the feeling.
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

your motor IS a roller

Comment

your motor IS a roller
                      Yeah my dad wasn't having any of that either... "You have too many miles on it to change the cam."
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

rollers dont wear, unless you break a dogbone, but then its catastrophic failure

Comment

rollers dont wear, unless you break a dogbone, but then its catastrophic failure
                          Yeah that was my point, but he didn't / still doesn't believe me, and he has restored many a car, and transplanted many an engine in his day. I guess its just because its a "granny" car. He is also not familiar with Fuel injection, so he is not comfortable with working on it.
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Yeah that was my point, but he didn't / still doesn't believe me, and he has restored many a car, and transplanted many an engine in his day. I guess its just because its a "granny" car. He is also not familiar with Fuel injection, so he is not comfortable with working on it.
                            welcome to 1986. yes, thats 25years ago

Comment

welcome to 1986. yes, thats 25years ago
                              Yeah I know, he worked on cars all through the 70s then just stopped doing engine work for a while, he still does all basic stuff to avoid the shop, but no real mods.
                              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Interior Video and Pics...Plus Painted Grand Marquis Horn Pad

Installed the speedometer bezel and it looked good so I was in the mood for a video!

Bezel Installed:

It is nice to have a semi complete interior. The entire dash has been unscrewed since middle January!

INTERIOR VIDEO

I also painted a 1986 Grand Marquis horn pad...came from the same car my p.side door came from I may or may not install it. It does look HOT though.

Disassembled to be throughly cleaned:

Painted with interior vinyl and fabric paint:

Any suggestions on the horn pad?

Just for a before pic:

Let me know if there should be an after!
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X