No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds like good progress but, dont wait too long for paint. that primer is like a sponge and you will see rust poking through. and also, GMGTs exterior is 98% complete and i started on my interior...so hurry up! lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I know what you are saying, luckily I am using high build epoxy primer that creates a great/hard exterior impenetrable by water giving me some extra time.

Ahh you can have the spot light for now, but everyone will be blown away once this car is complete.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Sounds like hes calling you out. haha. My money is on anyone at this point.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

hehe friendly competition is good. It makes each of us work harder to have a nicer end result. Plus it only benefits ourselves.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

lol, i jus keeping the pressure on bro!

Comment

Oh I feel it!

Got outside at 6:30am and primed the plastic bumper filler pieces with the flexible primer. Came out suburb.

Then I wire wheeled the undersides of the doors and trunk lid lip with the compressor and then applied rustoleum rust reformer to help preserve the metal that is there.

Then I began wet sanding out some of the spot puddy spots as well as blocked out the repaired fenders.

Taking a break now, but will wet sand/block out the two metal bumper filler pieces as well as the license plate bucket later today.

Tomorrow I plan on wet sanding the repaired p.side door handle area (remember there were some crack in the primer) as well as some other spots of spot puddy....I may even go over the car with a fine tooth come and apply spot puddy here and there. I also am going to prep the door jambs for paint. I was told that some paint will be mixed up for me tomorrow and if the weather is nice I plan to get at least one door jamb completely painted in its final color by Wednesday and maybe the other door by Thursday.
              ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                no pics..just work!

Fixed numerous spots with spot puddy (still have to wet sand out level), primed my license plate bucket and metal bumper fillers as well as repaired my fender with Evercoat Kitty Hair. I had a little rust poking through the primer underneath where the wheel well trim will go so I had the guys grind out all of the rust that was there with a whiz wheel and we globbed in the Evercoat kitty hair and then of course sand it down and topped with finishing puddy and sanded out and primed. Even though that rust would have been hidden it still needed to be taken care of properly.

Also took care of some spider cracking near the passengers side door handle that resulted in me putting back the door handle too quick and cracking the primer in multiple places when the car was first primed. That is all fixed up and ready to sand out.

I hope to prime all of the plastic bumper filler pieces tomorrow with my flexible primer, grind down the bottom of the doors and apply the rust reformer and wet sand out any places work was done today.

Gonna go around the car a couple of times with the spot puddy and fill in any little scratches or dings and wet sand that out in the weeks to come.

Car is looking good.

get a rust free fender david or it will come back in a few months......trust me on this, i did the same exact repair on project 79 and it came back with a vengance.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah I plan to pick on up anyway whenever I get a chance because you did mention this to me once before.

We did cut out everything though, but it may always come back like what happened with Tom. Luckily I will be reusing the wheel well trims so if it does come back I can always touch it up and it will be hidden again. We cut out the entire piece beveled the edges around and applied the evercoat kitty hair forming basically a makeshift patch with fireberglass goo instead of welding in a patch panel. The body man said the problem with that rust was that the fenders are doubled walled and moisture gets retained in between the wall and just rusts it out, with both walls knocked down and kitty hair packed into the walls the car should look stellar for quite a while. If rust comes back it will not be in the same place. I have my fingers crossed that it will stay away for at least a couple of years with the measures we took to stop it. Nonetheless a rust free fender is on the list of things to get whenever I hit up a JY again just in case I, or future owners, would ever need it.

Finished blocking out the license plate bucket and the two front metal bumper filler pieces. Gonna rest till tomorrow when I get into prepping both door jambs for paint!
                  Last edited by 87gtVIC; 06-07-2010, 02:33 PM.
                  ~David~

Comment

The New Exhaust Set Up

Minus the high flow catted H pipe

Consists of 87 Mustang exhaust manifolds, new bolts, manifold gaskets and longer o2 sensors.

~David~

Comment

Did some more work on the car again like blocking out primer and blocking and filling in places with spot puddy. My dad brought home some paint for me today so I have to wait till nice weather comes before I attempt to paint the final color in the jambs.

4-1 mixture of color to thinner, I hope me preval spray gun can handle metallic paint.
                      ~David~

Comment

You going to paint those headers black?

Comment

Nah gonna leave them as is because I want to upgrade at some point anyway.

And HOLY CRAP 1 pint of my BMW Hot Chocolate Metallic Paint cost me 60 dollars! I hope that 1 pint is enough for the door jambs.
                          ~David~

Comment

David.

It looks to me like those header bolts are grade 8 (I can't quite see if there are 6 tick marks on the hex heads). But the color tells me they are.

Good choice. I too enjoy quality fasteners.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

That's expensive as fuck. Did you buy it through BMW or something? One pint should be plenty if you're not wasteful.

Comment

i know the feeling. the paint for mine was a shit load lol

Comment

Working...
                                X