No announcement yet.

85 351 4door Vic **DUW**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got some stuff done on my FOUR day weekend.

Mainly valve cover gaskets (driveways everywhere thank me), repainting the valve covers and a few other things under the engine bay.

As I started disassembly, I quickly found an annoying surprise.

Cracked..housing thingamabob. It's been repaired at some point, but cracked even further. Obviously though, since it's been repaired without my knowledge, it's been like that for years. I don't know what it affect, other than my wiper hitting the windsheild trim on high speed, which I had already noticed.

What all is involved in this? I'm not quite sure how to disconnect the wiper motor from the wiper assembly, and I could only find 2 bolts on the housing itself, which doesn't seem right. I'm assuming I can swap this from any -91 panther?

The thing that struck me was just how many things I have NO idea the function of under the hood. Lots of weird stuff with vacuum lines and wires going to them.

Maybe some of you can give me an idea what these things do for future reference:

this thing mounted to the driver's valve cover. 2 vacuum lines going to it, one obviously to the vacuum motor near the throttle linkage (I can't get a clear description of this thing's function either), and the other going to somewhere over on the passenger side of the engine bay. It also attatches to a funky plastic vacuum cannister that, until I recently found pics of a super-mint 351 engine bay, I had assumed was some mechanic's hack job.

I have no idea where the electrical connectors go.

I ended up painting it with silver krylon indoor/outdoor paint. I wasn't expecting much but it came out looking GREAT. It dried in under 10 minutes, refused to run (I tried) and was thin enough to let the part number still show.

These pics also give you an idea just how rusty and oily the valve covers were.

This is some sort of regulator for the line from the evap to the carb. There's an electrical connector to it that I believe went into the same loom that the coolant sensors and main carb connection go to.

This weird thing had a vacuum line teeing into the evap hose that the above goes to, and only had the one wire. The other end of vacuum just went to manifold or right at the carb base.

another shot of the evap stuff, this time hooked up and with new lines

This coolant stuff has me confused. I get the need for one coolant temp sensor (though I'm not sure what the computer would do with that info), but I don't understand why there are two, or why there's a vacuum hookup.

My toolbox. heh, get it, toolBOX? heh. ok, you can stop throwing the tomatoes now.

You can see some of the vacuum lines I've replaced. Eventually I'll have all-new lines.

a shot of all the nasty oil slathered everywhere from the leaky gasket. Yet more coolant temp stuff, I think. There seem to be at least 4 coolant sensors on this engine, weird.

valve cover off. Sludgy? doesn't look too bad for the mileage.
    You can see the oil alllll the way back to the heat sheilding in the transmission tunnel, as well as on the exhaust manifold. From about 15-30 minutes into every drive, it would smell of burning oil. Pleasant.

more sludginess, some increasingly knarled hands, and an emissions device looking a bit like a muppets character

other valve cover off. you can see where the gasket was leaking, and where it was getting onto the exhaust

I used fel-pro cork gaskets and some cheap (tremclad?) high-heat gloss black enamel.

It came out fairly well, but since I had to put the covers on before the paint could be cured by the heat of the engine, they got scuffed up a bit. Overall though, a shit ton better than the mess of rust and oil.

left side also shows the quick job I did on the ballast resistor with some tremclad semi-gloss.

If the silver paint on the thing on the valve cover (I'll get a pic of it this week) holds up, I'll probably use the same paint on the rest of the coil, the rusted band on the alternator, and a few other bits.

I'm also going to paint a few more things with the black semi-gloss tremclad rust paint. I've already done the master cylinder (don't expect that to last), a/c cannister, wiper motor, and a lot of the lines (tranny, brake, etc.). I'll go over most of that stuff again.

I'm also going to try and hit the oil cap with some yellow high-heat paint if I can find it.

So if anyone can give input on what those things I currently refer to as "doohickies" do, I'd be thrilled.

I've had a minor infusion of cash, so hopefully this will be getting some more substantial updates soon.

Next steps:
    Vacuum lines. That'll hopefully be done in the next week or two. Somehow ALL the autoparts stores are out of 3/16 line. Yet again Hotspot is by far the cheapest at 70 cents a foot. These are the guys who, after an initial screwup, were waiting with the right part when I came in to return a rad, and still manage to undercut most other places by over 100 bucks. Great organizations, great prices, and they don't seem to sell much in the way of white-box off-shore no-name crap either.

Rag joint rebuild. Thanks for the input Scottmang and Thain.

Rotors and bearings up front, maybeee a full brake rebuild including rear axle bearings, seals and lines.

Carb rebuild. If anyone has the Ford Rotunda tool kit for this, PM me. This might be an excercise in futility. If there isn't a noticeable improvement in overall driveability and power, I'll probably go to the 4-barrel setup discussed here: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=33429

Re-wiring stereo and maybe picking up front speakers.

Tracking down the ever-annoying exhaust leak

A few minor appearance things I have in mind

I'll also be getting the nice red center caps that Monterey1962 sold me in the next little while, so hopefull this is the last ever picture of Sophie with capless wires:

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

God bless. lol A lot of work you have going on. I have no idea what those doohickies are but good luck. And that engine pic looked better already.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks, it sure is better than the underhood pic from my first round of pics.

If I can work at the pace you do, that stuff will be done in no time.

Then again, if I could work at the pace you do, they'd already be done.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

Did some searching on Rockauto and found out the names, if not uses, of a few of the mystery parts:
          this thing mounted to the driver's valve cover. 2 vacuum lines going to it, one obviously to the vacuum motor near the throttle linkage (I can't get a clear description of this thing's function either), and the other going to somewhere over on the passenger side of the engine bay. It also attatches to a funky plastic vacuum cannister that, until I recently found pics of a super-mint 351 engine bay, I had assumed was some mechanic's hack job.

I have no idea where the electrical connectors go.

I ended up painting it with silver krylon indoor/outdoor paint. I wasn't expecting much but it came out looking GREAT. It dried in under 10 minutes, refused to run (I tried) and was thin enough to let the part number still show.
          This is an "Egr vacuum solenoid". I'm still not 100% sure what that means it does, but at least I know it's EGR related.

It's also listed as an "egr time delay switch". I'm not sure what point it's delaying it from though.

This weird thing had a vacuum line teeing into the evap hose that the above goes to, and only had the one wire. The other end of vacuum just went to manifold or right at the carb base.

This is a "vapor canister purge solenoid", which I'm guessing means it controls when the contents of vapor cannister are emptied into the intake.
          another shot of the evap stuff, this time hooked up and with new lines

more sludginess, some increasingly knarled hands, and an emissions device looking a bit like a muppets character
          The muppet character is a "carburetor bowl vent solenoid", so I guess it regulates the movement of vented gases from the carb bowl into the evap cannister.

Comment

The "egr time delay solenoid" or something... Painted with cheapo krylon paint. It seems to not flake and it dried almost instantly. I put on 5 wet coats in 3 minutes with zero running and without obscuring the part number. Weird, but this'll probably be used on most of the stuff that came in bare metal from the factory. Coil, throttle brackets, all the weird solenoids.

I've mentioned my amazement at the number of vacuum lines in this thing. Here's a pile of the vacuum lines that I've replaced. There's probably about a 3rd of this that I threw out, too, and almost 10 feet of line still to be replaced.

Comment

This weekend I restored the coil. More Krylon plastic paint, but again it worked. The black is the same high-heat enamel that I used on the valve covers (which is holding up quite poorly). It's not perfect, but it's a shit ton better then the previous appearance, pictured in the first few pics in post 163.

I thought I had tracked down a significant "vacuum leak" when I checked the vacuum fittings on the outside of the intake air temperature sensor. The metal had fatigued and cracked. I epoxied it and thought I was good to go.

I started the car up, and the racing idle that was the prime indicator I was seeing of a vacuum leak had barely been improved at all. It still idles somewhere north of 2000RPM warm, by my guesstimate.

Upon further inspection, the throttle linkage is binding somewhere, leaving the throttle ever so slightly open. I can push the throttle lever back to the idle position with my pinky finger, but after every application of throttle, it goes back to resting at 5% or so throttle. I tried using an old piece of vacuum line to compress the return spring, so there'd be more force closing the throttle. It doesn't seem to have worked though. I'm not sure how to deal with this, other than by replacing the throttle cable, but I don't know that that'd do anything anyway. It's wasting a lot of gas, and I've even felt brake fade from holding back a car that will hold steady on flat ground past 30MPH (50KMH) at idle.

I should be getting a glove box lock in the next two weeks or so from a cool mang on here too.

I'm making a firm parts list for the spring overhaul and have a few questions

Will these rear springs give me a slightly firmer ride and higher ride height than stock sedan springs? If now what am I looking for to do that?

RAYBESTOS Part # 5911089 {Sold in Pairs -- Inside Diameter=5.05" Wire Diameter=.625" Free Height=15.94" Load height=11.63" Professional Grade}
              Rear Variable Rate

Is the improvement for Raybestos Professional grade Plus rotors over Wagner rotors worth at 10ish dollar increase? Any other highly recommended brands?

Is this what I want to rebuild my rag joint?

Steering : Steering Coupling Assembly
              DORMAN Part # 31005 {Size 3-3/16" (3.1875) O.D. ; 1-1/3" (1.3333) I.D. HELP! - Carded}

Where can I get front brake flex lines?

While I'm in there, are there any things I may have overlooked in the following:

Spring isolators and maybe shocks when I do rear springs

Wheel bearings, calipers while I do rotors

Wheel cylinders and this kit:
              Drum Brake Hardware Kit
              RAYBESTOS Part # H70672 {Axle Kit Professional Grade #H7067}
              Rear; 10" X 2-1/2" Brakes
              While putting in drums and shoes

Anything other then front end parts (ball joints, sway bar and control arm bushings, tie rods, wheel bearings), u joints, hoses, and radiator as far as non-routine stuff to do that "probably needs doing at this point" for the sake of reliability?

How difficult is a brake booster re+re?

As always, any advice is appreciated.

The most urgent thing though is the throttle lever bind, for obvious reason.

Also, inb4 toyota jokes
              Last edited by johnunit; 04-13-2010, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Can anyone help me with the stuff in the post above? It's sucking down gas with the throttle issue, and I'm gonna be ordering parts tomorrow.

Comment

Hi johnunit.
                  If you disconnect the throttle cable and start it up and rev it from the carb, does the idle still hang too high? If it does, the throttle cable or bracket is causing the problem. If thats the case, I would check the bracket the cable is attached to on the inlet is not bent. Even removing the cable from the carb and trying to get some thin penetrating oil down it while it is vertical may work.

If the idle still hangs, it is not your throttle cable. Then keep disconnecting things from the carb linkage till it doesn't hang. Whatever made it drop back is your problem.

Sometimes carbon build up in the carb barrels causes the butterfly to not return fully.

Good luck.
                  Andy.
                  www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

I can push the throttle lever back to idle position manually and the idle settles, but blipping the throttle again, it will not settle properly once the throttle is released.

I will try what you said, removing the cable, repeat, remove spring/bracket/etc., repeat until it stops hanging up.

I'll also shoot some carb cleaner down the throat and see if that clears it up.

Comment

Just my opinion, but it sounds like things like new suspension springs are the last thing you should be worrying about in the current situation.

Back to basics, is the carb in anything like known condition? What about the miles of vacuum lines running every-which-place?

Thanks for reminding me how much easier it is without solenoids all over the place. :p
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I'm saving the springs for the last set of purchases in the spring overhaul. I'm only doing it because the right side sags quite a bit.

I don't really know anything about the carb other than it having worked for me in the year or so of ownership. Originally I thought it was a vacuum leak, but after checking and rechecking everything, and in light of it being 90% new lines, I'm pretty sure that the throttle refusing to sit closed on it's own is the bulk of the problem.

I'm also going to replace the return spring for the tranny TV rod, since it feels and looks pretty weak. That might go some ways to convincing the throttle to return to idle when I want it to.

Comment

I had this issue with another car, the throttle cable from the cruise control was holding things up. if you have cruise control... try adjusting that cable a bit looser and see if it'll idle right.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Took Andyfanshawe's advice and did a step by step disassembly of the throttle bracketry. It became apparent that one of the springs for the transmission tv rod or throttle cable had weakened from rust. Bought a new, significantly stiffer one and once installed my idle went down to where it should be. I don't doubt there's still a vacuum leak or two, but at least I'm not almost chirping the tires going into drive.

Also bought the rag joint rebuild kit (thanks again Gadget and Lincolnmania for helping me figure that out), calipers, rotors, and Gymsol or something rubber protectant. Gymsol seems to have actually brought my faded vinyl roof back into line, so I no longer have a pastel green top on a dark blue car. Ordering pads, speedo cable, and front wheel bearings from Rockauto once the money goes through to paypal.

I also found an interesting part in the "extra" section of Rockauto that I may have to pick up...

Comment

Care to share what that extra part is?
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

DORMAN Part # 7116 {Triple Gauge, Chrome - Mechanical; Oil Pressure/Water Temperature/Ammeter; Back lit; Panel size: 7-1/2"W x 2-7/8"H; Cable length is 72"}

I'll be making a bracket for it that allows it to slide back under the dash and be hidden.I'm trying to keep the car 100% stock looking, at least when I want it to be. I'll be swapping out the ammeter for a tach that I'm hopefully going to get a deal on. All told, with senders, I should be able to come in well under 100 bucks for a brand new hideable yet factory looking set of gauges.

I'm not 100% sure how I'll set up the moveable bracketry, but one idea I'm throwing around would have the illumination automatically turn on when it's pulled out into view, and off when it's shoved back into hiding.

Comment

Working...
                                X