No announcement yet.

My '90 LTD Crown Vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not that anyone cares about my car, but in the interest of keeping track of this shit somewhere;

- this week = new motorcraft plugs, new blue streak distributor cap and rotor. runs great.

- tomorrow = KYB GR-2s installed to replace 20 year old OEM shocks, front brakes serviced, wheel bearings and etc replaced, oil change.

Have a slow leak on my drivers side rear axle. Not enough to write home about but it's only going to get worse, and definitely not better.

Before learning about this axle seal leak, I had purchased a camshaft from a 1994 Cobra from a guy on corral, as well as a Lincoln mk VII ECU and 19lb injectors from 85crownHPP. New trunk emblem is on the way from monterey. The HO stuff will all go on at the same time and will be accompanied by the usual front-of-the-motor gubbins - harmonic balancer, timing set, water pump.

The HO swap honestly started out because I need valve cover gaskets and figured I'd replace the intake/tb while they were off...my injectors are sketchy, it wouldn't be too much more trouble to replace those...no sense in buying new 14lbers so I might as well get the HO injectors. Well, If I do that, I'll need a new cam and computer...not too much extra work to pull the lower off.

car guy justification ftw
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

an old dude at the gas station last night was telling me about his 91 marquis, wishes he still had it, but had to scrap it.

after he came out from paying, he called me over and told me he's still for the original turbines. i asked if he'd be willing to get rid of them and he is - he's going to come see me at the store some day soon, since he lives fairly near it. no center caps but i'll have turbines! to hell with the lacey spoke rims.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Pics after you get some of these goodies installed!
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

wow, you've gotten pretty ambitious. can't wait to see this thing in HO'ey goodness.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I can't wait either! I need to clean up the engine bay bigtime before anyone gets to see anything.
            sigpic

Comment

speaking of engine bay; i'm going to have a bit of a purple/black thing going on.

been sanding down the fender braces from a wagon, they're going to be purple. upper plenum is black and nameplate is purple. air box is black and purple. rice ftw. i want to paint the throttle body but i don't want to fuck it up.
              sigpic

Comment

cobra cam got here yesterday.

anyone have a ballpark figure of how long it'd take them to do the swap? trying to figure out how long my car will be down for.

i am tearing it down to the block/heads (they're staying together though). replacing everything except the lower intake when i put it back together...
                sigpic

Comment

who's doing the swap?

Comment

me with as much assistance and instruction as i can get. the only thing i'm really unclear on at this point is how to adjust the heads for the new cam. other than that it's basically academic - parts coming off and others going on
                    sigpic

Comment

no head adjustment required.

Comment

i mean for the lifters and pushrods etc...i figured with the change in firing order i couldnt just stick th new cam in there.
                        sigpic

Comment

i think valve lash is what i mean...maybe? i'm just learning the terms.
                          sigpic

Comment

for fuck sake....the old man that wanted to sell me his turbines brought them in today. not in the best of shape, they would need to be recleared. somewhat dismayed at their condition, i offered 50 bucks - easily worth it in their condition - and the old guy laughed at me.

I can barely afford the 50 bucks, but I tried 75. Nope. Tried 100. Nope.

How the fuck can he think they're actually worth money? I would be LUCKY if I could get away with less than 5 hours work per wheel. They're in "great shape, just look at them" - apparently. y'know, despite the peeling clearcoat and corrosion that's gotten underneath it.

What the fuck is it with people?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                              for fuck sake....the old man that wanted to sell me his turbines brought them in today. not in the best of shape, they would need to be recleared. somewhat dismayed at their condition, i offered 50 bucks - easily worth it in their condition - and the old guy laughed at me.

I can barely afford the 50 bucks, but I tried 75. Nope. Tried 100. Nope.

How the fuck can he think they're actually worth money? I would be LUCKY if I could get away with less than 5 hours work per wheel. They're in "great shape, just look at them" - apparently. y'know, despite the peeling clearcoat and corrosion that's gotten underneath it.

What the fuck is it with people?

The more fucked up part is that you are likely the only person even remotely interested in them. If he ever comes around again offer him 30 bucks and make him feel like the dick he is.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I was parked outside a convenience store last night with my girlfriend, I had just come out from getting us something to drink. The old man pulls up next to us, I notice it's him, and give him a nod. He pulls to the other side of the parking lot until we leave, and then he leaves as well. WTF?! If I see him again I want to ask him what he actually wants for the wheels.

anyway, my car - hitting my HO throttle body with a wire wheel to get the grossness off and down to bare metal. it's gonna be black, along with the upper plenum. hard to get in all of the nooks and crannies that it's got, but at least it's pretty easy to avoid the mating/gasket surfaces.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X