Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new front end and brakes/bearings today...feels like a new car
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
      new front end and brakes/bearings today...feels like a new car
      that is E X A C T L Y what i need to do.

thanks for the motivation.
      1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
      1994 MGM GS Montigua
      2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
      2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
        that is E X A C T L Y what i need to do.

thanks for the motivation.

buy moog and never worry about it again.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

buy moog and never worry about it again.
          always do, i need my problems solved.
          1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
          1994 MGM GS Montigua
          2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
          2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

I had no idea how badly I needed my problems solved. There was nothing BUT play in the p/s outer tie rod end...the stud that goes in the steering knuckle just kinda flopped around. The other 3 weren't much better, and the rubber bushing in the idler arm had worn into an oval.

Strangely the MOOG inner tie rod ends did not come with grease fittings. Rather, the grease nipples were in the bags in the box like they should have been, but there were no spots to put 'em.

thankfully, the ball joints are dandy. they're good for a while yet.

car goes down the road straight but pulls a little to the right if i let go of the wheel. appointment to get it lined up at 10am.
            sigpic

Comment

sweet. alignment didn't take terribly long - and i found a new place to get 'em done that's right here in town, and they charge very little compared to some other places. 35 bucks compared to the usual 70.

time to try and save money to get the 95 on the road.
              sigpic

Comment

you might be able to drill a small hole where the zerk fittings are supposed to go and thread them in. If you're very careful.
                Originally posted by gadget73
                There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

If it were me, I'd return them and ask for some that are already drilled.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    If it were me, I'd return them and ask for some that are already drilled.

At this point that would involve removing them and shippin' em back while I wait for new ones. Probably take about a month while my car is up on stands waiting for the new ones
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                      you might be able to drill a small hole where the zerk fittings are supposed to go and thread them in. If you're very careful.
                      Didn't even think of that. They come pretty much fully packed already, and pulling up the rubber boot to shoot some more in wasn't terribly hard.
                      sigpic

Comment

At this point that would involve removing them and shippin' em back while I wait for new ones. Probably take about a month while my car is up on stands waiting for the new ones
                        Then returning them might well be a lousy idea.

It does occur to me that it might be challenging to pull up the boot to add grease in the future once they're installed. Also, the grease fitting allows you to force old grease out as you force new grease in, so it removes any built-up metal shavings in addition to just adding grease.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

grease syringes are made. Looks like a needle and the one end fits into the grease gun and you poke whatever boot you want to grease and pump some in. I have a couple lying around here and used them for non zerk fitting equipped parts before.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

interesting. thanks guys
                            sigpic

Comment

I got some kind of 24hr flu yesterday and ended up sleeping the day away so I didn't really get to drive it much, just got in from taking it for a few test spins now...it's really amazing what new front end parts will do for the road feel of a car. I don't want to drive it now because I might fuck it up
                              sigpic

Comment

all of my grounds and positive cables are now at least 4ga, in some cases 0. somewhat of a bad idea since the two fat ring terminals and 3 fusible links don't quite fit on the solenoid stud.

had to run it like this;

alternator - 4ga cable - 175a megafuse (in holder bolted to fender) - 0ga cable to solenoid AND 0ga cable to battery

the battery is NOT running right to the solenoid, but to the fuse holder where it meets the cable to the solenoid (they're attached to one side, the alternator charge wire is attached to the other)

any reason not to run it like this? it works just fine and there is no drop in voltage between the battery and fuse holder or battery and solenoid. i don't see any difference in wiring it this way or having both on the solenoid.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X