My '90 LTD Crown Vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

now i need to memorize a different firing order

I can start putting it back together now. Going to keep taking my time so I don't fuck it up. Working on it for an hour or two a day is awesome, but I'm getting antsy to drive.

Need a front main seal, can't believe I didn't think to get one. I probably figured it came with the timing cover gasket set but it did not. Still need a harmonic damper and injector o rings/filters and it will be ready to go.
    Last edited by 1990LTD; 04-02-2012, 10:59 PM.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Comment

I remember which pairs of cylinders are switched but not the actual order thanks

i hope i can get it back together quicker than i took it apart.

to install the distributor, do i just rotate it to TDC on the compression stroke #1 and drop it in pointing there?
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

timing cover + parts washer = clean timing cover. i DO have a new front seal for it, so that's nice. need some lock tite for some of those bolts though, don't know if you can get by without using some sort of thread locker on the cam bolt etc but i'd rather be safe than sorry
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
            I remember which pairs of cylinders are switched but not the actual order thanks

i hope i can get it back together quicker than i took it apart.

to install the distributor, do i just rotate it to TDC on the compression stroke #1 and drop it in pointing there?
            Yeah that will get you close enough for it to run before you mess with a timing light. Remember, COUNTERCLOCKWISE! BTDT twice!

Comment

LOL thanks man. did that too, made for some fun troubleshooting.

Finding TDC and making sure I'm not 180 out will be fun.
              sigpic

Comment

LOL thanks man. did that too, made for some fun troubleshooting.

Finding TDC and making sure I'm not 180 out will be fun.
                If you have any kind of compression in cylinder 1, you'll be able to figure that out...

Comment

I know how it's done, I've just never done it before Same goes for the rest of this stuff that I'm currently doing to it.

Can I spray a few shots of carb cleaner on the block and not worry about it in the oil pan? I'll obviously be changing the oil before I run it.

There's some oil on the drivers side of the block where it was leaking down from the top of the motor and I'd like to give it a bit of carb cleaner and wipe the stuff off, I can put a rag over the opening in the front of the pan so no solid pieces get down there but it would be hard to prevent liquid from running down the motor.
                  sigpic

Comment

I know how it's done, I've just never done it before Same goes for the rest of this stuff that I'm currently doing to it.

Can I spray a few shots of carb cleaner on the block and not worry about it in the oil pan? I'll obviously be changing the oil before I run it.

There's some oil on the drivers side of the block where it was leaking down from the top of the motor and I'd like to give it a bit of carb cleaner and wipe the stuff off, I can put a rag over the opening in the front of the pan so no solid pieces get down there but it would be hard to prevent liquid from running down the motor.
                    Just cover the opening in the front of the pan (where the timing cover will go). I wouldn't be worried about the carb cleaner. I'd be more concerned with the chunks of whatever the carb cleaner breaks free from the block.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      If you have any kind of compression in cylinder 1, you'll be able to figure that out...

My father did that trick to me when he was rebuilding the Lincoln SA-200 welder. Scared the crap outta me when I was a kid.

Neat project ya got.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                        My father did that trick to me when he was rebuilding the Lincoln SA-200 welder. Scared the crap outta me when I was a kid.

Neat project ya got.

Packman

What trick? I was just gonna stick a kleenex over the empty spark plug hole and turn the motor over until it started to move the kleenex with air coming out of the plug hole, and then stop when the piston gets to the top of the bore.

Since I've got the valve covers and intake off it will be even easier since I'll be able to see the valvetrain doing it's thing.
                        sigpic

Comment

He made me stick my finger in the #1 hole while he turned the engine over by hand. He said nothing would happen. Then laughed his ass off when I jumped outta my pants (and soiled them too in the process) on the compression stroke. At least you used a tissue.

Packman

Comment

LOL either way works. I'll use a long screwdriver or something to contact the piston and figure out when it's at the top of the stroke.
                            sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

To find the compression stroke I use an old straight spark plug boot with a balloon on the end and stuff the boot into the spark plug threads. When that cylinder approaches TDC you'll know about it when the balloon blows up! Then it deflates again after TDC. Makes for entertaining stuff though.

Andy.
                                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Working...
                                X