Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 merc marquis brougham + GMGT rebirth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did you detail the underside of the car too?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
      did you detail the underside of the car too?
      Yes, he's got a full set of 4 turbines with whitewalls bolted in down there to switch to when we're not looking.

Comment

how did you know?lol

what you mean detailed? the whole underside is getting under coated.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

hey tom, have you ever had cold start issues with GMGT? the carb seems to always be empty after sitting overnight or longer. you have to let the fuel pump run for a bit to fill the carb bowl. the carb dont drip after running or anything. i wonder where the gas goes. its done this eversince i got the car but, always forget to mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
            hey tom, have you ever had cold start issues with GMGT? the carb seems to always be empty after sitting overnight or longer. you have to let the fuel pump run for a bit to fill the carb bowl. the carb dont drip after running or anything. i wonder where the gas goes. its done this eversince i got the car but, always forget to mention it.
            Yes I usually just pumped it up a few times and it fired right up. I traded 8 spark plugs for that carb. I got a good deal lol
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

if the carb bowl is has fuel, it will fire up no sweat. just, when its sat for a night you gots to sit there and let the pump prime up and fill the carb back up. its so epty that the accelerator pump pumps air lol. i hope they were good spark plugs lol. i think i will be investing in a holley or even a carter!

Comment

Get a Holley, they are the best.

Comment

if the carb bowl is has fuel, it will fire up no sweat. just, when its sat for a night you gots to sit there and let the pump prime up and fill the carb back up. its so empty that the accelerator pump pumps air lol. i hope they were good spark plugs lol. i think i will be investing in a holley or even a carter!
                  Quick question: Does the fuel you use have ethanol in it?

Comment

yes it does, around 10% according to the pumps. why do you ask?

Comment

yes it does, around 10% according to the pumps. why do you ask?
                      Because I suspect your dry bowl problem is due to the ethanol-laced fuel boiling away whenever you park it and let it sit. I've had customers with similar problems in other cars, both carbed and EFI, with one 1993 Exploder being sooo bad it would take two ignition cycles to get it started (key on, pump runs, key off, key on again, pump runs, start)....and this was after the customer insisted on EVERYTHING in the fuel system being replaced....just in case. Every time I broke into the system, it had dry fuel lines right above the injectors.

All I could do was have him get gas from somewhere else, and I installed a 180-degree t-stat in it....the problem went away.

Comment

I believe most premium (91+ octane) is ethanol free in Ontario mang. Easy way to test Pirate's theory.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                          I believe most premium (91+ octane) is ethanol free in Ontario mang. Easy way to test Pirate's theory.
                          Yes, I agree. If it's available, it would be what I would run anyway.

Comment

i have never had this issue with any of my other cars or boats. and heres the kicker...iv only put fuel in the car once a month ago. it was doing the same thing with the fuel the car came with lol. but, i gots a nice holley sittin a work, jus need to find out what CFM it is.

Comment

It should have a part # on it that you can look up and it will tell you.
                              1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                              2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Auntie Christ View Post
                                Because I suspect your dry bowl problem is due to the ethanol-laced fuel boiling away whenever you park it and let it sit. I've had customers with similar problems in other cars, both carbed and EFI, with one 1993 Exploder being sooo bad it would take two ignition cycles to get it started (key on, pump runs, key off, key on again, pump runs, start)....and this was after the customer insisted on EVERYTHING in the fuel system being replaced....just in case. Every time I broke into the system, it had dry fuel lines right above the injectors.

All I could do was have him get gas from somewhere else, and I installed a 180-degree t-stat in it....the problem went away.
                                I have that problem, fuel boils away and it takes longer than it should to start the car. It's bullshit. Fuel wasted.
                                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X