1990 country squire resto/lowrider in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 351-lincoln View Post
    looks GREAT! you have very good attention to detail. might i suggest a 2600lb bag? lower lift pressures and smooth rides. might be a must for a car thats well over 4100lbs.
    Hi 351-lincoln.
    Thanks for the observation.
    I dont actually know what bags they are! Long time since i bought them!

But they will be in there only as far as after the engine and trans goes in. Then they will come out and be replaced by "shockwaves".

Hopefully they will support the weight of the car until then!!

Andy.
    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Boring but important bits now. Cleaning and painting.

Brake discs/rotors first. Media blasted and painted.

Heres one of the rear drums

Taped off for media blasting

And media blasted

Photo of the red painted one tomorrow.

Back axle next. I'm going to prep this best I can without media blasting and paint it with epoxy mastic paint.

Heres the rusty thing

and about halfway through prepping

Andy.
      www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

I'm amazed at what you appear to be doing with so little space.

Two questions:

- What did you use for media blasting (or was it farmed out)?
        - Is it just me, or do photos of English backyards always just look super-civilized somehow?
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Good work!

I like where the airbag thing is goin'
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but are you keeping the side mirrors?
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              I'm amazed at what you appear to be doing with so little space.

Two questions:

- What did you use for media blasting (or was it farmed out)?
              - Is it just me, or do photos of English backyards always just look super-civilized somehow?
              Hi 1987cp.
              I use aluminium oxide as a media or if I'm desperate some play sand from my sons sand pit!! Bigger things are farmed out locally.

I think they look civilised because we have less space than yourselves. We have to make good use of the space and it is easier to look smart. If I had a big yard it would be super uncivilised!!

Is your backyard clean and tidy? How much space do you have?

Andy.
              www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but are you keeping the side mirrors?

Hi.
                I don't think I will keep them.
                They need moving forward anyway and one of the bases is cracked and has been badly repaired.
                I'm sure there are modern units that will do the job better.

Andy.
                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by andyfanshawe View Post
                  Is your backyard clean and tidy? How much space do you have?
                  Nope, nothing like, probably because I'm a pathetic American who bought a property built, maintained, and "improved" (read: spent money to add structures and landscaping that really don't work) by pathetic Americans. :p I have 0.40 acre total, which is more than a lot of people but it's very poorly used. Someone about 80 years ago had the bright idea to plant pine trees all over the place, so that does cut into usable space a bit until I can afford to have them removed.

Lately, though, I've realized that instead of putting up ever more and larger outbuildings like an American farmer might, I need to organize what I have already, so I've gotten extra fascinated by small spaces that both look nice and aren't ruined by the guy who tramped through with car parts in hand.

I still need to get me a sandblast cabinet, though. Maybe if I can get my little 24x24 garage "tidy", as you guys put it, I'll have space for one after all!

BTW, re side mirrors, I've finally pulled one of the mirrors off of the doors I kept from my '79 Squire when it went away. I'm thinking that if I can get around to measuring the dimensions and angles of the little steel insert that supports it, it might be possible to obtain another part that's similar and even somehow trim the window glass with a diamond blade to fit. IMO, the '79-'80 Panther mirrors are just better, not only because they look nicer, but they're better placed, bigger, sturdier, and don't make the doors rust prematurely. Of course, they've been getting beyond scarce for a long time now despite their high original production numbers, so I'm interested in finding other mirrors that would work as well.
                  Last edited by 1987cp; 04-08-2010, 07:35 AM.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

A 24 x 24 garage? I'm assuming thats feet and not metres!! That would be fantastic! We couldn't fit that on our back garden even.

Finally finished prepping the back axle. Only took 12 hours! Wish I'd had it media blasted now.

But thats too easy!!!

Removed the halfshafts and discovered a Limited Slip Diff. Bonus. Didn't know it had that.

Also took off the backplates.

Bit of painting later and here we are

If you look carefully under the diff, you will see a plastic bowl with a big split in it. It didn't have that split until the axle fell off the stands! guess where all the oil went that was in it? Yep, on my Wife's beloved patio. Oops! And I've still not put her a bedroom door on yet either!

While the brake backplates were off, guess what I did?.............

The diff cover was also a bit sad, so media blasted and a bit of contrasting silver paint

Now a few days off on our short easter hols in the caravan, and then I'm going to put it all together! Am I seriously looking forward to that.
                    1 week to get the engine, trans, driveshaft and axle in and all associated pipework/wires/fluids etc, plumb and bleed brakes, strip and paint the fuel tank, find or make a suitable TV cable and fire it all up.

Phew!
                    Andy.
                    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

I have a TV cable I can sell you. It's like new!
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Coming along nicely.

I saw you mention aluminum oxide and that you only use regular sand when you're desperate. How big a difference is there? How does it behave differently? Are there any other medias you've experimented with first-hand?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                          I have a TV cable I can sell you. It's like new!
                          Hi
                          PM me a price will you? Remember it has to come to the UK.

Thanks.
                          Andy.
                          www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Uh, the poly frame bushings you installed (red part on top of the black frame bushing...?)....I think I see cracks in them?

Comment

Originally posted by The Auntie Christ View Post
                              Uh, the poly frame bushings you installed (red part on top of the black frame bushing...?)....I think I see cracks in them?
                              Those are height adjustable spacers. You twist them and they rise. Probably just a casting edge you see.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                Those are height adjustable spacers. You twist them and they rise. Probably just a casting edge you see.
                                Quite right.
                                The poly bushes are the black ones. If you go back a few posts you will see more detailed photos of the adjustable spacers.

Andy.
                                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Working...
                                X