No announcement yet.

1990 country squire resto/lowrider in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress today for the first time in ages.

The task was to repair the rust corner of the wheelarch, finish the panel replacement where the spare wheel used to be and try to weld some holes up.

Heres the card template for the rusty corner and a black line where I am going to cut

Here it is removed and the offending rusty steel

New steel clamped in place for welding.

I spot welded the join down the quarter panel to prevent any distortion.

Heres the wheelarch lip in place ready for welding

and welded

to be continued..............................

Andy.
    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Cardboard template for bottom panel made

And panel transferred to steel

Welded in

Fully rustproofed by heating the panels and spraying dintrol 3125 in till it seeps through the joints

Finished arch waiting for prepping for paint

View from the outside to the inside!

Hole welding next. Copper plate clamped to the back of the panel to absorb the heat and prevent distortion

Andy.
      www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Its been said many times, but I do have to reiterate. You do really, really nice fabrication work, Andy.

Keep up the great work!
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

fuck you do nice work, Andy. I can't wait to see more of this car.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Nice mang. I wish I had some skills like those.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I love the sketch, and all the improvements to the quarter panels. This just keeps getting more interesting.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I really like the sketch, but it seems that color scheme would fit a mopar better.
                Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Yeah, the paint may need a bit more thought............................

Recent evenings have been wet and getting dark quicker, so not much progress till today.

Time to remove the "wood" from the rear quarter so I can do some more welding and get it prepped for paint.

This is me with a hair dryer and a wallpaper scraper!

All off-but not the sticky residue yet!

Cutting the light unit metalwork out

Ready to be welded up
                  -and you can see the 5 holes around it I had to weld up.

More tomorrow.
                  Andy.
                  www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Time to start thinking about the lowrider part of this build.
                    Yes it will have air suspension but it really needs to be lower.

Now this will take a lot of work, and I certainly can't do this outside, but................cutout the floor and firewall where the frame is and lower the whole body down over the frame, and remake the floor and firewall. Probably have to lower the motor too!! Oh, and move the steering column, and wiper motor, and trans tunnel..................
                    That will give a nice stance, and combined with air, will make this wagon sit on the floor.
                    Hmmm........

Andy.
                    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

A body drop?? Daaaaammmmnnnn. Not one for scraping pavement, but that ought to look slick.

I've been considering doing an air suspension set up on my Marquis, but have no idea what I'm doing. What do you plan on using?

sigpic
                      - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
                        A body drop?? Daaaaammmmnnnn. Not one for scraping pavement, but that ought to look slick.

I've been considering doing an air suspension set up on my Marquis, but have no idea what I'm doing. What do you plan on using?
                        Hi Mr M.
                        the rear suspension is on coil springs, so they just need replacing by an airbag with suitable plates for top and bottom (more details on that later). front suspension has shox going through the springs so a shockwave needs to be used. See these and other components at www.ridetch.com

Then a digital control system needs to be used. I am using the auto pilot sytstem on my camaro, but there are a few others available now.

More details soon.
                        Andy.
                        www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

just out of curiosity, how low would it be sitting without the body drop?
                          Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                          New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

for the front you might want to look into z'ing the frame. that will lift everthing up in the front so that you dont have to worry about dragging though the oil pan and such
                            f/s modded 99 s10 - $3500, F/s 90 accord - $450, f/s 84 Cutlass $2200, parting out another 90 accord
                            86 LTD wagon - wifes back up car
                            slammed 86 pontiac wagon - back up dd
                            79 fairmont - DD

Comment

also to go low in the rear placing the bags in the rear coil mounts my not get you the low that you are wanting with out cutting into the cargo area.

well here is the question. are you wanting to lay the car out on the frame and rocker? if so i suggest installing the air ride and making it lay out on the frame first.

i have been looking in to baggin, and body droppin my 86 pontiac wagon
                              f/s modded 99 s10 - $3500, F/s 90 accord - $450, f/s 84 Cutlass $2200, parting out another 90 accord
                              86 LTD wagon - wifes back up car
                              slammed 86 pontiac wagon - back up dd
                              79 fairmont - DD

Comment

Hi Guys.
                                Good comments and questions.

I want the car to ride at the suspension setup as it is now-to keep all the factory settings-camber, castor, pinion angle...etc. BUT the wagon looks too high in this position. It looks very dated and more like a 4 x 4!
                                So the body has to be lowered over the frame to get the stance I want.
                                Z'ing the frame at the front won't be needed since the oil pan won't go lower anyway.

The air suspension will then (most likely-but no guarantees yet) sit the frame on or very near the floor.

Okay, todays jobs....
                                Today managed to make up the panel to fill in the gap where the side marker light used to be. Joddled it so it would sit flush and spot welded it in.

Completed panel

Just got the wheelarch lip to repair in 2 places and the quarter can can be prepped and painted. then its on to the other side.

Andy.
                                Last edited by andyfanshawe; 09-19-2010, 04:00 PM.
                                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Working...
                                X