No announcement yet.

1990 country squire resto/lowrider in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks enslow. Makes interesting reading.

Now its time to start to reconstruct the inner wheel arch and tie the inner to the outer.

Heres a panel cut to fit

Heres the back view with the area painted that I wont be able to paint/treat effectively after its welded in. I've kept the edges clear of paint so it wont burn off and block the rust proofers treatments path. The holes are there for the adhesive to grab to.

Tack welded in.

Next panel made up and painted on the inaccessible side. Then areas scraped where the welds will be

Tacked in. You can just see the white adhesive squeezing out.

Andy.
    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

you are a god with the metal work andy!!!!!!!!!!
      '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
      "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
      "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
      "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
      "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

Nice metal work.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

is that weld trough primer you are using

Comment

Originally posted by rellik god View Post
            is that weld trough primer you are using
            Hi relllik god.
            No, I don't use weld through primer. The reason why? Well even that primer will burn and flake when welded, leaving bare metal spots that will rust. Especially behind the panel where you sometimes can't see.

I make sure everything is paint free on the weld line (the red paint you see is a normal spray can on top of an etch primer), weld it up, then coat the back sides of the weld with dinitrol 3125 and then heat the panel up to make it flow into all the seams. If access is difficult I will drill access holes and plug them afterwards.

My spot welder (or any spot welder) will not work with any primer on (including weld thru). My MIG welder doesn't like it either. Coughs and splutters like an asthmatic pensioner

Just some simple steps to ensure that the car lasts a long time after welding repairs.

Andy.
            www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Weld thru primer is a zinc rich primer to be applied where panels are overlapped and welded. An example would be a lap weld, where you lay a piece of metal over another and plug weld it thru holes or you put a bead along the edge of the overlying panel.

The area under the lap needs protection, any other paint is just going be burn. Weld thru will burn but it melts back into the weld.

It is not to be painted or primed over, it has VERY poor adhesion qualities. So after you prime an area that will be "trapped" in a lap and weld it, you want to wipe off any weld thru primer that is still showing before you prime it with "real" primer like etch or epoxy.

ive asked and been told the samething from a couple of local bodyshops about weld through primer and i am still wondering if its worth useing it or not. your way seems good keeping an area to weld

Comment

What about a 2 door wagon conversion? And I mean proper length (longer)front doors. Hmmmmm.............

Andy
                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by andyfanshawe View Post
                  What about a 2 door wagon conversion? And I mean proper length (longer)front doors. Hmmmmm.............

Andy
                  I know of a two door (at least I think its still there) with 2 good doors if you REALLY want to try it. Shipping would suck, but yeah.
                  Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                  New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Andy
                    im not sure it would look right on a wagon hmmm. I would say you would have to put the tudor little 1/4 window in between the door and the big wagon 1/4 window to keep it looking right

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

Andy
                      I consider that from time to time when pondering my two-door. It'd be frowned upon by some people since both "tudors" and wagons are considered to be comparatively uncommon, but since when did car crafters care about originality?

I think the hardest part would be deciding what to do about the windows, as the wagon rear doors have the deformed window frames that increase loading convenience and match nicely with the quarter windows (and are the reason why I kept bonking my head when I first switched to a sedan as a DD!). Possibly the 2-door quarter windows could be integrated into an attractive arrangement alongside the wagon quarter windows? Or would some custom glasswork be required to make it work unless one is willing to put up with larger expanses of metal in funny places? Or maybe do something screwy like the "sedan delivery" thingy that classic Chevelle guys love. Now I'm going to start getting the urge to do some Photochopping .....
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Would look cool with actual two door doors. I seen it done with stock wagon doors and it is just gross looking.
                        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks guys. All good stuff. But what about something that it REALLY needs?............A roof chop.

I can feel some more sketching coming on-hey 1987cp, that photoshop would be cool.

Andy.
                          www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

photochop? :p

I've never seen a chopped panther... ever. that would definitely be different.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              Would look cool with actual two door doors. I seen it done with stock wagon doors and it is just gross looking.
                              Like when the high school class chopped the center out of a Colony Park and left this Gremlin-looking thing? That was way weird, and they still copped out with having ugly metal areas in front of the quarter windows.

Thanks guys. All good stuff. But what about something that it REALLY needs?............A roof chop.

I can feel some more sketching coming on-hey 1987cp, that photoshop would be cool.

Andy.

Roof? Dunno about that, I think they could use more overhead clearance even stock, and I'm short. Though, you seem to be more than capable of dropping the floorboard down between the framerails should it become necessary.

I'm actually not very good with Photoshop, but I'll try to play with what pictures I have if and when I get the opportunity.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                                Like when the high school class chopped the center out of a Colony Park and left this Gremlin-looking thing? That was way weird, and they still copped out with having ugly metal areas in front of the quarter windows.
                                Yes. That is the one
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X