No announcement yet.

1990 country squire resto/lowrider in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needed to finish the inner wheel arch yesterday and today so i can start to paint this thing

Heres a strange ugly bulge in the rear of the inner arch that needs to go. Notice the black marker line where it is going to be cut

And here it is ...gone...

Patch welded/glued in

The numbers on the panel is where I asked one of my young sons to press down in order from the inside while I tacked it from under the arch

Finish welding next and seam sealing and rustproofing. Then its epoxy paint underneath and final prep on the quarter for its temporary white paint.
    Then its onto the other side.

Andy.
    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Looking good.

Did you have to do any rust repair inside that panel or was that the rust proofing stuff you use?
      Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
      AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
      Open/Lock/Ratio #
      -----------------------
      G / H / 2.26
      B / C / 2.47
      8 / M / 2.73
      7 / - / 3.07
      Y / Z / 3.08
      4 / D / 3.42
      F / R / 3.45
      5 / E / 3.27
      6 / W / 3.73
      2 / K / 3.55
      A / - / 3.63
      J / - / 3.85

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
        Looking good.

Did you have to do any rust repair inside that panel or was that the rust proofing stuff you use?
        I've had to do rust repairs everywhere!
        The brown staining is the dinitrol 3125 rust proofing.
        Interesting thought that-rustproofer that looks like rust:smirk: They ought to make it a different colour! Bright red would be good!

Andy.
        www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

good work andy can't wait to see this thing done!!!!!!!!
          '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
          "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
          "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
          "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
          "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

While I am messing about with tedious welding, priming etc, I have had time to think about the front of this car.
            To put no finer point on it, it needs redesigning. Too flat and too old fashioned.
            What I would like is to produce a concealed quad headlight arrangement. Behind a phantom gille, or even better, behind a venetian blind grille. In other words, turn engine off and the grille closes up leaving it all black. Turn engine on and it opens up.
            This may or may not involve scrapping the front nosecone/headlight panel.

Just a few thoughts for the time being........

Andy.
            www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

andy,

many older Lincolns used vacuum operated headlight doors. I would imagine there were some more common cars from your side of the pond with a similar arrangement. engine on = open, engine off = closed
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I for one am interested in seeing how such an arrangement might work out. I agree that the Box Vic nose is pretty square, ugly, and outdated.

I know some General Motors cars in this country with flip-up headlights used electric headlight-door actuators; while in at least some cases the actual mechanism seems to have been pretty junky (Cast zinc? Really?), possibly the rest of the workings might be closely related to something you could make use of? Heck, I'd personally be even more interested in a non-hidden-headlight arrangement that looks slicker, but I can see the draw of hidden headlights as well.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

dont get to wrapped up in making it ''different'' just for the sake of being different. Just keep it simple clean and classy. just my 2 cents though.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                    dont get to wrapped up in making it ''different'' just for the sake of being different. Just keep it simple clean and classy. just my 2 cents though.
                    I fully agree.
                    With no lights visible (or anything else come to that) at the front, it will be the essence of clean:smirk:

Andy.
                    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        I agree that the Box Vic nose is pretty square, ugly, and outdated.

But then again there was a reason why a went to an all 79 front end lol
                        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post

But then again there was a reason why a went to an all 79 front end lol
                          Because it's even squarer and more outdated?

sigpic
                          - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
                            Because it's even squarer and more outdated?
                            no, I just wasn't too thrilled with the grille from 82 up and the turn signals for everything except 79

Now I just need to find me an 80 front bumper....
                            Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                            New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Finally got to finish weld the inner arches and seal from inside the tailgate area.

I even managed to weld the inner frame to the inner arch. have a look here to see what I mean

Heres the welding under the arch

Nearly finished this side. Looking forward to doing exactly the same thing to the other side!!

Andy.
                              www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by andyfanshawe View Post
                                While I am messing about with tedious welding, priming etc, I have had time to think about the front of this car.
                                To put no finer point on it, it needs redesigning. Too flat and too old fashioned.
                                What I would like is to produce a concealed quad headlight arrangement. Behind a phantom gille, or even better, behind a venetian blind grille. In other words, turn engine off and the grille closes up leaving it all black. Turn engine on and it opens up.
                                This may or may not involve scrapping the front nosecone/headlight panel.

Just a few thoughts for the time being........

Andy.
                                Hey the '78 and earlier LTD and Marquis wagons had hidden headlights as an option. They look pretty cool with the hidden headlights I think. I'd post a picture for you but I'm pretty computer ignorant.

I love following your thread, your fabrication skills are off the charts.

Isaiah

Comment

Working...
                                X