No announcement yet.

1990 country squire resto/lowrider in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inner fender cut out exactly as the other side and the lower front sat in my acid bath

That will be in there for a day or two so its onto the front door. Onto my worktop it goes and the base stripped of paint just in case there is any rust underneath

Which is a good job because if you look closely in the next picture you will just be able to see some rust marks that would have bubbled the new paint up.

I knew of the underside rust but hadn't seen it for a bit, so door turned round and here is my next job!

Should be simple enough to sort out....lip bent back, rust cut out, a spell immersed in acid and weld in new steel.

Andy.
    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Remember this window channel?

Here it is out of the acid

Its now etch primed.

Remember this one rusty spot under the passenger front door?

here it is now

Even though the lip of the skin is rusted the actual skin is not perforated, so its into the bath of acid to see what comes out.

Fender out of the acid bath and onto my worktop!

I've strapped it up to hold it at an angle so I can de double skin the lip.

Here it is all gone.

Apart from the one spot, it actually looks in good condition- a bit rusty but not thin. Far far better than the other side. Spot of media blasting coming up!

Andy.
      www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Remember the rust at the base of the passenger front door?

Which turned into this

and finally into this

That has now been seam sealed, so back onto the fender. A puddle of acid to get rid of some more rust

Leave that do do its work and onto the hinges on the passenger A post.
        The top one had been welded for some reason. You can just about see where the weld has pulled a lump out of the corner of the A post

and the corresponding hinge

pity you cant see the lump of weld on the hinge face in the photo very well.

I'm moving on a bit so I can get this car channeled within the next 4 weeks or so!

Andy.
        www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Hi Andy Fanshawe

Originally posted by andyfanshawe View Post

The top one had been welded for some reason. You can just about see where the weld has pulled a lump out of the corner of the A post

They were like that from the factory, well my old Town Car was so I assume the Ford version is/was the same.

Regards

Dereck
          President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Originally posted by Dereck View Post
            Hi Andy Fanshawe

They were like that from the factory, well my old Town Car was so I assume the Ford version is/was the same.

Regards

Dereck
            Hi Dereck.
            Thats interesting because the other side certainly wasn't.
            Why would they have 3 bolts and a weld? Did your town car have that?

Andy.
            www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Been on holiday for a few days so managed to find a few minutes to do a quick sketch of the finished project!

Not to Chip Foose standard but we can't all be geniuses!

Andy.
              www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Hi Andyfanshawe

Originally posted by andyfanshawe View Post
                Hi Dereck.
                Thats interesting because the other side certainly wasn't.
                Why would they have 3 bolts and a weld? Did your town car have that?

Andy.
                Yes my Town Car was like that, I assumed the weld was put there as a little extra security for when the "heavy" door was swung open it would help stop the pillar form cracking.

Regards

Dereck
                President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

That sketch looks pretty nice, actually. Going to swap to earlier-style bumpers? If it were me, I'd keep the '90 front bumper and try to do something more molded-in-looking in the rear, but then, I haven't the "skillz" and it's not my project! LOL.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    That sketch looks pretty nice, actually. Going to swap to earlier-style bumpers? If it were me, I'd keep the '90 front bumper and try to do something more molded-in-looking in the rear, but then, I haven't the "skillz" and it's not my project! LOL.
                    Hi 1987cp.
                    Going to the earlier style bumpers is a really good idea. But I'm in the UK and most likely will be cost prohibitive to get some sent over. But they will be cleaned up and modified and possibly even completely redesigned.
                    You are right about the rear bumper though. Looks as if it doesn't belong there! Definitely will be moulded around the shell.

Thanks for your comments though - much appreciated.
                    Andy.
                    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

hey andy good work.could you tell me the measurement of your body mount height up front from frame to bottom of rad support

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rellik god View Post
                        hey andy good work.could you tell me the measurement of your body mount height up front from frame to bottom of rad support

thanks
                        Hi rellik god.
                        Distance is 4.9 cm both sides.
                        Are you adjusting things?
                        Andy.
                        www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

I like your final rendition of your wagon. That will definitely turn heads when you complete that project.

Packman

Comment

yes trying to adjust front rad support. so 4.9 cm = 1.9 inches? is that measurement from the big size mount lower on the top of the frame to the top of spacer piece which hits the rad support.i got 3 inches = 7.62 centimeters from lower rad support to top of frame.i dont have that adjuster piece you have in picture so im looking for a spacer piece to make

thanks
                            Attached Files

Comment

is that measurement from the big size mount lower on the top of the frame to the top of spacer piece which hits the rad support?

Yes. So yours is 1" more than mine. In the next few weeks I may not need the spacers anymore, so if you are not in a rush I could send them to you.
                              Andy.
                              www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

is that measurement from the big size mount lower on the top of the frame to the top of spacer piece which hits the rad support?

Yes. So yours is 1" more than mine. In the next few weeks I may not need the spacers anymore, so if you are not in a rush I could send them to you.
                                Andy.
                                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Working...
                                X