• Show
Clear All

ok not in a rush that be great

Comment

Originally posted by rellik god View Post
      ok not in a rush that be great
      Will do.

Heres a progress update.

Onto the passenger A post top. Heres a sequence of photos as it is cut away

Going to have to go down one more layer. Certainly far worse than the other side. Shouldnt take long to do though.

Andy.
      www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

EEek! That looked so promising from the outside.
        Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
        AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
        Open/Lock/Ratio #
        -----------------------
        G / H / 2.26
        B / C / 2.47
        8 / M / 2.73
        7 / - / 3.07
        Y / Z / 3.08
        4 / D / 3.42
        F / R / 3.45
        5 / E / 3.27
        6 / W / 3.73
        2 / K / 3.55
        A / - / 3.63
        J / - / 3.85

Comment

Metal cleaned up as far as I want to go

Worried about how deep the rust goes on that corner, so out it comes as one unit

Heres the top of the panel removed

and the other side

Really surprising that it has only gone through in that one area.

New steel going in tomorrow.

This was an interesting sight. Loads of media from the blasting I did over a year ago.

Andy.
          www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

First plate fabricated and clamped in place

Next plate fabbed and drilled for spot welding and etch primed underneath

Dont know whether you can see the tiny pieces of masking tape in this picture where the spot welds will be

Weld it in tomorrow and close it all up.

Andy.
            www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Once again, exception detail and a model for the somewhat uncharted territory of a complete resto of a non-rustfree panther.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

This might seem an odd question but have you been keeping track of the hours you've been putting into this wagon?
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                  This might seem an odd question but have you been keeping track of the hours you've been putting into this wagon?
                  Hi 1990LTD.
                  A good question but I haven't kept a count of the hours - enjoy it too much! But it will probably be a few

More progress time;
                  Plate welded in

and welds ground down

Final plate made and holes drilled for spot welding. Notice the painted panel under it with masked off areas where it will be welded through

Welded in

have a look at this for welding penetration! Gone through 2 thicknesses!

Heres where I think some water gets in to the A post. Here I am levering up the panel at the bottom of the windscreen revealing a gap where the sealant has gone.

Onto the bottom of the A post. On the other side it was rotted out, so I thought I would cut this side out to check

Looks good this time but the inner rocker has some corossion on that may need doing.

Andy.
                  www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Truly amazing. Great work. Everything is immaculate.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

definitly check there and pull off the fresh air guard there.thats where my water leak was and also check up under dash under fresh air box

nice work andy
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        Truly amazing. Great work. Everything is immaculate.
                        Thank you.
                        www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by rellik god View Post
                          definitly check there and pull off the fresh air guard there.thats where my water leak was and also check up under dash under fresh air box

nice work andy
                          I certainly will.
                          Wow, your car certainly had the rust bug! I'm assuming you live where salt is used on the roads a lot!?
                          Have you blanked off the air inlet? (first picture)?

Andy.
                          www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

yes

Comment

Andy, I have to say that is some of the most shoddy work I've ever seen...
                              Not really. I just couldn't think of anything positive that hadn't already been said a dozen times.
                              Honestly I'm very impressed with your level of dedication and the quality of your work. Doubly so
                              given the limitations of doing it at home with the tools you have. Keep up the good work.
                              Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                              AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                              Open/Lock/Ratio #
                              -----------------------
                              G / H / 2.26
                              B / C / 2.47
                              8 / M / 2.73
                              7 / - / 3.07
                              Y / Z / 3.08
                              4 / D / 3.42
                              F / R / 3.45
                              5 / E / 3.27
                              6 / W / 3.73
                              2 / K / 3.55
                              A / - / 3.63
                              J / - / 3.85

Comment

Thanks GoodSamaritan, you are a gentleman sir.

Loads of bodywork done over last few days.
                                Top of A post finished and sealed

Bottom of A post welded up with an access hole for rustproofing

Bit of a warning here. Found this at the bottom of the A post stuffed in a corner

no not drugs, but sound proofing.

Quite a few of these in that area and I thought I had got them all out. You can see the weld burns in it. Could have set the damn car on fire.

Just the fender to do now so heres a couple of views of where we are at.

Then we are bracing up and engine removal for the floorpan to be cut out!

Andy.
                                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Working...
                                X