1990 country squire resto/lowrider in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Back!!
    Didn't think i would recover from that back injury. Took 3 months but I'm 90% there. So, its back to work on the lowrider wagon.

Here's the back of the dash stripped of wiring because its not going back in, and I want to wire the engine to start for the very first time after an extensive rebuild!

Here's the engine all wired up with the harness going into the car through the heavily modified firewall

Here's my instrument panel

and my ignition switch!

So, tonight after more than 2 years and a full engine rebuild, blood, sweat and tears, I went for the start........And it fired first time!!! Sounds fantastic. Forgot how that V8 burbled away to itself. I know its only a 302, but its MY 302 and it works!

Timing adjusted and its as smooth as a babies bum!

Now, inbetween waiting for my back to recover, and needing a fix (and a possible profit) I bought these 2 foird fiesta zetec s cars

The first is heavily modified and may sell on for a small profit. The second is a reshelled write off that I will use as my everyday car.

Yeah, I know, the first one is a bit fast and furious for a 52 year old but I don't care!!

Andy.
    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

wow... fiesta blast from the past. I don't think those ever made it into sales on this side of the pond.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

well... at least not that version.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Right on man, congratulations. Great to see you back at it. It'll take more than a back injury to stop this panther from being built, am I right?

Originally posted by andyfanshawe View Post
          I'm Back!!
          I know its only a 302, but its MY 302 and it works!
          Hell yeah!

Comment

HI BuffaloRider.
            You are quite right! It'll get finished. Amazing how much motivation is produced by an engine fire up!

Anyway, more interesting news. I have decided that after 30 years of teaching teenagers, enough is enough. So I'm going to open up my own shop where I can build my wagon in peace (with 2 post ramps etc) and do custom work for anyone interested. So, exciting times. May take a year or so to get up and running but I can keep teaching during that time.

Andy.
            www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

fun and games... or rather lack there of?

good luck. As usual, will be watching this space.

Comment

Thanks guys! Thanks guys! Really excited to do this. But 1 step at a time.

Now the 302 is running, its time to scope some components as an intervention method to reduce the chance of a breakdown in future.

Here's the fuel pump waveform when running

And, I don't like this at all.
                Current is only about 3 amps or less, but the overall shape is good, with no commutator segment drop-outs. If I'm not mistaken, it should be between 6 and 8 amps, but I will have to confirm.
                But, I have no record of it ever been changed, and the wagon has done about 241 000 miles,so it damn well deserves a new one!

Here's the voltage waveform for injector number 5

Shows a good injector turn on and I can plainly see the injector pintle closing (the hump on the downward slope). So the driver in the ECU looks good and the injector itself also. Peak voltage is about 35V which is perfect. Then it ran out of fuel! Better get used to that.

So, next job is to disconnect the wires again in to the shell and build the rotisserie so I can tip it on its side and finish the welding underneath. Then its a good coat of paint on the underside and back on the frame it goes. And its then going back together!!
                Luckily my new shop is right next door to the chap who is going to paint it for me!!

More exciting times!

Andy.
                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Loving the build, Andy! Keep up the good work, and congrats on having the *ahem* bells to open a your own shop! BTW, I'm a BIG fan of third-gen F-bodies. Your Camaro looked great!

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
                  Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

awesome. and that injector waveform looks dang near perfect. No clue about the fuel pump current draw. I would expect it to be a noisy signal like that though since it's an electric motor.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                      awesome. and that injector waveform looks dang near perfect. No clue about the fuel pump current draw. I would expect it to be a noisy signal like that though since it's an electric motor.
                      Hi Slymer.
                      I have been reliably informed that 3 amps is ok for a ford fuel pump. What i will do though, is once its running at full throttle, check the O2 sensor for a rich signal. If not, the pump is not keeping up.
                      Yes, I like that injector waveform. Got to check all the others next. Have to get some fuel first though!

Andy.
                      www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Do you still own the MK VIII?
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Yes, I'm a pain with this, but............................................... ..................BUMP!!!!!! NEED MORE!!!

Comment

Not been here for a long time! Been building 2 other cars in the meantime, while the wagon waits!..

Now they are just about done, I have spent a few hours in the garage welding up a rotisserie that is suspended from the roof.

And here it is

and a view of the scaffolding pole that goes through the car!

I have a week and a half before I am back at work to roll the chassis out, pivot the car at 90 degrees, Finish weld the underside and paint it green. Then its back on the chassis and off it goes down to my new workshop onto my 2 post ramp (posh eh?).
                            Then perhaps it will get finished for next summer.

Andy.
                            www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                              Do you still own the MK VIII?
                              Hi.
                              No, it has gone to a new home.

Andy.
                              www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by PICKUP6772 View Post
                                Yes, I'm a pain with this, but............................................... ..................BUMP!!!!!! NEED MORE!!!
                                Ha! No problems. Loads to come in the next few weeks.

Andy.
                                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Working...
                                X