No announcement yet.

My 1983 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2-Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once you know how many miles you get out of a tank you can make due without a gas gauge (providing you fill up the tank each time). One of my cars (93 Taurus??) had just a shitty gauge I used mileage instead.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
      Once you know how many miles you get out of a tank you can make due without a gas gauge (providing you fill up the tank each time). One of my cars (93 Taurus??) had just a shitty gauge I used mileage instead.

exactly what i am doing at the moment until my fuel sender arrives. also the fuel gauge will have opposite resistance for now which means when i have a full tank means i am empty on gas and a empty tank means full. unfortunatley my fuel gauge on my other cluster doesnt work. i had to replace a bulb on the cluster and slightly hit the fuel gauge needle now it dont work at all. fucking analog crap another reason to go digital.
      Last edited by MattsLincoln; 06-30-2011, 08:08 AM.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I like the blacked out look, makes it very inconspicuous.

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
        I remember having to do that...safe bet was to just fill up after 200 miles. No chance in Hell to run out of gas that way.

sigpic
        - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

I used the tripminder's gallons used function when my float went bad. I drove the car around like that for about a month.

Comment

well i bench tested the unit and it works. hooked it in the car and nothing worked wtf. i belive i have my wiring right. though i dont have a full circuit board on the back i cut it up just for the connection part itself i cut off the little silver thingy that was attached to the circuit board and never hooked that little spring looking thing either to the board is that why it isnt working. i tapped into on the harness the yellow with white wire which is the fuel sender wire the red with white stripe wire is the ignition wire there was also a pink with white wire which also tied into the ignition switch didnt tap into that one. have the grounds right and still nothing. fatnasty if your reading this i really would like a clear shot of your chooped up circuit board for outlining mine.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
            1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

can i not even use the circuit board it's useless to me. why wont this fricken work. arrg im pissed i have to go to work but i cant without fixing the speedo.

Comment

You do still have your stock speedo, right?
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yep but useless cause i cut the circuit board. checking my evtm on something

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
                    i have to go to work but i cant without fixing the speedo.
                    Do you have a smart phone? On my Android I have a GPS speedo app.
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

success tapped into the wrong wire for the ignition switch now everything works well and according to my fuel gauge which seems accurate it looks like i may have a digital fuel sender already in the car. pics after work. got to enlarge the the face a little more to see the numbers fully but other than that it looks badass. also the amp light that isnt hooked up will the alternator still work if not can i rig something up so i can make the alternator work without the damn light.

Comment

Don't drive far distances without that light hooked up.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
                          if not can i rig something up so i can make the alternator work without the damn light.
                          Yup, we do it all the time. You'll want a voltmeter hooked up, though.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

well here are the results from todays driving with the new speedometer. the gas guage does not deplete or rise. i have only the fuel sender wire hooked to the back of the fuel gauge. looking in my evtm there is also a black with green hash marks that went to the instrument cluster then to a small voltage regulator on the cluster and then tied into a black with green dots wire for what it said fuel gauge and that also tied into the fuel sender wire. i guess those need to be tapped into my fuel sender wire. also can i bypass the voltage regulator. also i believe my alternator is not running becuase i dont have a complete circuit on it but i could not locate which wire on the cluster fed that amp light so i can tap it into the ignition wire to complete the circuit and have the alternator run again. due to the alternator not running the choke ran high all the way home also when giving full wot the car bellows at the bottom end and sputters like hell with like no increase in speed. i am guessing this is cuase the alternator is running is that why. anyway fatnasty if you are reading this please tell me what wires you tapped into for your fuel gauge to work properly.

Comment

well worked more on the cluster today got the alternator working again. just ran the amp light wire directly to the ignition wire now it runs. also theres no more of the bottoming out now. now the fuel gauge has me questioned i have it hooked up only to the fuel sender wire which i think is all i need for it to work. still doesnt read right but i think that may be becuase i need to put in the new electric fuel sender(cost me $109 with shipping)which will be here next week. i just put $30 worth of gas in and it reads almost empty.

uploading pics and a vid now.

Comment

heres pics video coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X