No announcement yet.

Sly's Panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the little thin "springs" on the bottom of the clip.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yes. That does look fragile.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

And now it's time for... BECAUSE I CAN!

With your host... SLY!

And now... "Because I can"... I have reinstalled the redneck ram-air... and I call it... The Son of Redneck Intake.

The new air filter assembly I just got has a perfect 4 inch diameter inlet... which is perfect for a 4 inch hard aluminum dryer hose with a 6 to 4 inch reducer on the grill end.

No need to ask why I did it. I did it... "Because I can!"

As for the how... well... I had to relocate what is left of the washer tank to allow clearance for the air filter assembly. I had an aftermarket coolant recovery tank bracket left over from busting one tank accidentally and bent it into submission to mount it on the inner fender. This require relocating the soup can, or vacuum reservoir, over an inch or so to make room.

Here's the end result:

Having made room, I installed the hose and reducer, after patching some old holes with duck tape from the first time around. I also removed the hole makers so I won't have to fix the dryer hose again. I positioned the reducer behind the grill using 3 hose clamps. One on the reducer at the 4 inch end and the other two for hold up and forward positioning.

And here's the rest of the pics of the riggin.

Attached Files
        Last edited by sly; 04-15-2011, 09:50 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

That's pretty neat! Who doesn't love a little redneck ingenuity?

If it were me, I'd split the end so it has two inlets, and space them evenly behind the grille. I just have a thing for symmetry.

sigpic
          - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Interesting stuff. Got any pics of that air cleaner before it was installed? Looks in those pics like basically a doohickey with some metal riveted to it.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

that's the way it comes shipped... check this link:
              Explore replacement air filters, cold air intake systems, air box intake kits, custom accessories and more, factory direct from Spectre. Join our legacy of performance.

or Summit's page:

Comment

That's rather nifty! Don't recall seeing one like that before.

Nice to see more evidence that Spectre is serious about offering aftermarket air cleaners that really serve a purpose! I wonder if they'll sell me just the lid from one of their round air cleaner assemblies ....

Comment

yeah... K&N doesn't have anything that large. I like it.

just did the egr spacer coolant bypass on the 88 this morning. had to take the upper plenum up and while I was at it changed out the PCV hoses (hard as a rock and cracky) with fuel/evap line as well as put a fuel/evap line section out the other side to connect the evap line easier (no more lifting the plenum to change the evap line when it's cracky). The car has even more balls now (even running the AC). it's nice.
                  I used my compressor and lightly blew out the coolant that was trapped in the spacer. That was interesting. Then I hosed off the wiper motor housing after everything was back together.

Pic before the hosing off:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on POTM!
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

still waiting to see my car up top though.

Comment

It will happen Slymer. I had to wait a couple days as well. Jon is busy with life.
                        Last edited by 87gtVIC; 05-04-2011, 07:43 PM.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

ah... ok. np.

Comment

woot! got my screen cap of the POTM!

Happy day!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              It will happen Slymer. I had to wait a couple days as well. Jon is busy with life.
                              Life? Life??? How dare he!!!

Comment

congrats sly. the lincoln looks good up there!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                                X