Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project BOB

Big, Obnoxious Bronco

This will be the wagon's replacement. I was looking for one that was rotted out so I could take the axles and go solid axle in the Explorer. I dug around for several days, then happened upon this thing for crazy cheap. I figured it'd be a perfect donor truck. When I arrived to pick it up I realized it's in awesome shape so I decided I'm gonna keep it and build it.

I don't yet know whether it's the 351M or the 400, but as soon as I get it home I'm gonna check the rod stroke so I can know for sure. Being that it's a Custom it's probably just the 351, but that's fine. When I'm ready I can swap the crank and pistons to get the 400.

The previous owner installed a new 4-core radiator but didn't save the adapter fittings from the original radiator, so the transmission lines are currently not hooked up. I already picked up a huge 11x11x1.5 transmission cooler (looks like a 4cyl radiator) to install so the C6 shouldn't have any trouble staying cool. It also needs a steering box, as the one on the truck is leaking pretty badly. Additionally, most of the marker lights are missing, including a tail light. Still, the price I paid is well worth needing to perform these mild repairs.

Then the day after buying this I scored an old school winch to mount on the front of it. With the winch, OBA (using the factory York compressor), electric fans and huge oil coolers, and welding the spiders in the front axle, this thing is gonna be pretty stout by the end of the year!

So on with the pictures!

2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

So now you have two trail rigs?! Does the explorer get demoted now?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

No. The Ex will still see plenty of action as the family trail rig (or when friends want to ride but their rigs are down for repair/upgrade.) This is going to be used for when I go out solo or with a buddy. It won't have A/C (going to use the compressor for on board air) and the doors/top will be off most of the time.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

Love the camo
        1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
        2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
        sigpic

Comment

nice rig. There's something perverse about an '11 mustang carrying parts for a 70s Bronco.

Slap some fender flares on there, black out everything not camo'd, and you've got a badass looking truck.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Silly car person, BOB stands for Bridgestone Owners' Bunch (an association for folks who like Bridgestone USA bicycles).
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
              nice rig. There's something perverse about an '11 mustang carrying parts for a 70s Bronco.

Slap some fender flares on there, black out everything not camo'd, and you've got a badass looking truck.
              When driving home in a 2011 Mustang... if someone calls and offers a free, fully functional 8,000# winch... you don't run home to swap vehicles. You hope the trunk is big enough. Haha

I think I resolved the plugged fuel line the other night. Blasted 120psi through all the lines.

Last night I ditched the air pump and installed new battery/starter cables but it was too late to try to fire it up so that will have to wait for tonight when I get off work. I'm anxious to get it all set up and on the trails.

Comment

I killed a few minutes tinkering with it today to try to resolve the fuel supply issue. I disconnected the line before the fuel filter and cranked away, but nothing came out. I then disconnected it at the pump and blasted air through, but there didn't appear to be any restriction. Without the output line on the pump I cranked and nothing came from the pump. I already know the fuel can get to the pump just fine (let's not get into that) so it's gotta be a bad pump. So... off to the parts store I went and spent more money than I intended to spend. I picked up:

New fuel pump and gasket
                New transmission hose (to hook up the external oil cooler and a power steering cooler)
                Oil/Filter (synthetic blend to help break up any crap that's built up in the motor)
                Thermostat and gasket (thermostat is supposedly designed to fail open if it does fail)

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to swap in the new fuel pump and fire it up... but a buddy is hopefully coming over to help build the frame for a workbench in my garage. If he does that, there are no guarantees on the pump getting swapped, but if he doesn't... game on. While I'm ready to have this sucker running I'm also ready to not have to sit cross-legged on the floor of my garage any time I'm working on individual parts before/during/after install.

Comment

I need to find one up here without any rot to toss my built 400 into. I love those trucks
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

well since you have the 400 done and not doing anything you could just but in my wagon and you dont have to worry about tripping over it any more,It will be out of your way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LMFAO
                    '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
                    "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
                    "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
                    "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
                    "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

Just to update anyone who was interested in this build... it took a back seat to family time, but recently I've made some big progress on it. I scored a parts truck and ditched the C6 for a T18, which has a 6.32:1 first gear. I also clocked the transfer case flat (rotated it so it no longer hangs 3" below the frame rails) and twin sticked it. Twin sticking allows me to operate the front and rear axles independently of each other. The benefit to this is once I add the independent (individual cables for each side) rear hand brakes, I can lock the rear driver side brake, put the truck in front wheel drive, and "dig" for a sharp curve. This would pivot the truck on that rear driver tire.

Last week I got it running/idling pretty well on the stock Mastercraft 2bbl, but I have an Edelbrock Performer 400 intake and 1406 carb to install once everything else is up to snuff. I've repaired a shit ton of wiring, as well as upgraded to the 3G alternator and installed a Taurus fan. I modified the brake booster brackets and pedals so I no longer have the vacuum booster- it's now a hydraulic brake booster from a '99 F550, which I'm expecting to stop the 38s pretty well.

This coming weekend I'll be finishing up all the suspension swapping and brake replacements, then it'll be 95% finished. I still need to fabricate the hoses for the hydroboost, but that should be simple once I figure out what adapters I need for everything.

It's been a MUCH bigger project than I expected it to be starting out, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the build stage and anxiously look forward to having it out on the trails so I can see all this hard work pay off!

Comment

Gee, that looks like a lot of fun. Makes me wish I still had one of my father's '73 F-350's that he had back in the day.

Packman

Comment

That truck means business.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I want one.
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Need to update my sig. Traded the Mustang in on a Wrangler and sold the Explorer, which the new owner totalled a month later.

Comment

Working...
                              X