72 mustang coupe build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roadwarriorP72 View Post
    I would think if it fits in the bay of a fox body my big body mustang should more than work
    The steering linkage and steering box are in the wrong locations vs. the Fox body cars. It looks like the #5 and #6 tubes are going to nail the steering box (they go around the steering shaft in the Fox body), so you'll have to go up and over....

I've got a friend with a '66 Mustang, and we've tried several sets of headers already, lol. None of them fit, and allow retention of the P heads. There is a set out there that fits....but it's the JBA set, and it's north of $500....so he's got a regular set of GT40 heads ready to go on in their place.

Problem Solved.

Comment

update

update, got a fuel rail thats not screwed up and a throttle cable. just need some injector o rings and warmer weather and i can rap up the motor. as for the headers i can get them modified to fit on the drivr side i know someone with time to kill.

Comment

I like the 71-73. For whatever reason, those seem to be the most hated models, and I really never understood why. On the other hand, the Mustang II is somehow popular, and I always thought those were just butt ugly.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

it's the T tops... yeah... that's it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the mustang II sold well at the time it came out and it was liked but I cant seem to work around to liking them. I love the 71-73 my dad and my sister both have 72 fastbacks and i think the look of these cars are awesome and mean if done right. i also like my coupe because its different without being too hard to find parts for.

Comment

Update

i put the injectors and the rail on and put the distributor in. now i ned to get the motor and trans to work so i can swap out the old motor

Comment

bringin this thread back with a vengeance.

update, the motor and trans have been pulled and i ordered the cable clutch conversion kit. all thats left really is to drop in the motor and trans at work and run the harness and fuel lines expect pictures. may need to get the FMS shorty headers cause my macs arent gonna work.

Comment

....may need to get the FMS shorty headers cause my macs arent gonna work.
                  Hmmm....
                  Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                  The steering linkage and steering box are in the wrong locations vs. the Fox body cars. It looks like the #5 and #6 tubes are going to nail the steering box (they go around the steering shaft in the Fox body), so you'll have to go up and over....

I've got a friend with a '66 Mustang, and we've tried several sets of headers already, lol. None of them fit, and allow retention of the P heads. There is a set out there that fits....but it's the JBA set, and it's north of $500....so he's got a regular set of GT40 heads ready to go on in their place.....

Comment

You are gonna have yourself a nice car when you are done. If only my buddy had your ambition. He's got a 73 Stang conv. with a 302 4bbl holley and an AOD. Basically it looks like shit, runs like shit but in his mind it's perfect and refuses to do any work to it.

Comment

this my goal...

Ive had this car since i was 19, i worked a garbage job to buy it and ive poured my heart and soul into this car. it was my first real car, the toyota corolla i had doesnt count. i also have alot memories in this car good and bad- cruising, taking girls on dates going to punk concerts, just havin good times man. Now i make enough to afford to do something and put a newer roller 5.0 with fuel injection among the other plans i have. i cant wait to have my mustang back on the road.

Comment

the mustang II sold well at the time it came out and it was liked but I cant seem to work around to liking them. I love the 71-73 my dad and my sister both have 72 fastbacks and i think the look of these cars are awesome and mean if done right. i also like my coupe because its different without being too hard to find parts for.
                        I took my driver's license test in a '73 fastback. 302 with a 3 speed. I picked up my '71 Mach 1 shortly after graduating High School and had alot of fun with it. It has been in storage for over 20 years waiting for a restoration. I have a couple of less indepth projects to finish and then I am going to get to work on it. They are finally making parts like grills for them.

Comment

update, the motor and trans have been pulled and i ordered the cable clutch conversion kit. all thats left really is to drop in the motor and trans at work and run the harness and fuel lines expect pictures. may need to get the FMS shorty headers cause my macs arent gonna work.
                          Ditch the P heads. They are not worth the trouble. Regular GT40 heads are cheap and plentiful right now. 96 Explorers are starting to really hit the bone yards. Spend the money on different heads instead of spending time money blood and sweat trying to get the P heads to work.

Comment

im gonna get the FMS shorties , i tried a set and they work. besides if i change heads again it will be because i got AFRs to put on .

Comment

recent progress

a clean slate but not for long.

here some pics of the engine about to go in.

no more automatic

just need a harness, fuel pump, radiator and various other doodads.

its gettin" there folks.

Comment

very cool car. Looks like it's progressing well.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                                X