No announcement yet.

RaceBox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those quadrajunks aren't worth the metal they are made out of. But hey if its free, why not?

Comment

Like any carb, it's all in the tuning. Very different from an Edelbrock or Holley.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by 81_TC View Post
        Those quadrajunks aren't worth the metal they are made out of. But hey if its free, why not?
        Thats what most people who can't tune them say.

I do not claim to be an expert, but I will say that your post is incorrect.

The Qjet was a forward thinking design in carbs, if you ask me. The small primaries provide fantastic throttle response. There are no gaskets below the fuel bowl level, and they have a secondary metering system, which is what gives most people fits.

I spend alot of time at the drag strip in the summer, and have seen more than a few extremely quick cars using Qjets. My favorite is a '67 Nova that is owned and raced by an older gentleman. The car runs deep into the 9's with a small block topped with a highly modified Qjet.

They do suffer from several common ailments (such as the egging of the throttle shaft bores), but these are common well known problems that can easily be checked for, and addressed.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

i hate the quadra-pukes just cause i hate taking them apart and rebuilding em lol. they are a good carb when they are in good shape but, like said, if you know how to fix/tune em, your all good!lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

yeah... the sipper primaries and toilet flusher secondaries make for some good get up and even better GO. That 85 Pontiac Parisienne Brougham would totally leave my 88 MGM in the dust. And the Pontiac needed a carb rebuild.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the thermo quads were comparable if not better, however the stupid idea of using plastic housing royally was a dee dee dee moment i think, damn things always warp. however one wants a real carb you go with a predator! rofl
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
              X