The Galactica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moves out a little better... and that chirp

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

definitely feels better. The 0-60 isn't hugely improved but its definitely better over 60. It doesn't quit pulling before the trans shifts. I'm sort of curious (and hopeful) that the chirp thing will go away with new tires. The ones on here are 7 years old and barely above the wear bars. I drove it a week ago in the rain and it was scary.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Certainly sounds much healthier.

I just don't think the explorer cam is good in performance applications. I understand it has great low end, but it doesn't seem to breath enough up top. I wish there was a factory option in between a stock HO cam and explorer cam, that would be perfect for lincolns/wagons. I guess the "cobra" cam is kinda close. Then again, if you actually want improvement there's plenty of aftermarket options like that cam.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

yeah, the Explorer cam was fairly "meh". John's car with the Cobra cam does quite nicely, doesn't have that soggy bottom end you get with the HO but it doesn't run out of steam like the Explorer cam does either.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Does the XE258 cam have the same low-end the Explorer or Cobra cam does? If I were to get an Explorer engine, I'd like to keep the low-end so I'd want something very mild, close to stock but with a bit more range.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I've got an old crane cam that looks spec-wise like a hot truck cam. High lift, not terribly long duration and 112 center. Talking to the mustang guys, they say it has a similar power curve as an e-cam, but with a lot more torque all the way through and a better idle. I figure on a mild stroker with a half-ass decent top-end it should work nicely. I also have a holley systemax cam lying about if anyone is interested. Don't think I'm going to use it, it's more like a ford f-cam.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                Does the XE258 cam have the same low-end the Explorer or Cobra cam does? If I were to get an Explorer engine, I'd like to keep the low-end so I'd want something very mild, close to stock but with a bit more range.
                pulls from idle till the trans shifts. I haven't shifted it manually to see where it runs out but its solid till 4900 at least. The Explorer cam got wheezy by about 4500. It feels comparable to a Cobra cam while driving, but its got a bit rougher of an idle. nothing obnoxious, but enough that it sounds like there is more than a stock motor going on. It has what I'd consider stock drivability, no bucking or surging or any of that annoying crap that would make you not want to drive the car every day. Mind you thats with an un-tuned mass air ECM too, so no magic was involved to make it behave itself.

Comment

Do you know anything about the Lightning cam, if it's the same as the Cobra cam?

Not that it really matters, since aftermarket is easier, but it's good info to know in case I run across someone selling one.
                  88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                  Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Its not. I believe its flat tappet actually, but otherwise I know virtually nothing about it.

Comment

Lightning cam is very mild, may even be the same as the normal truck cam. I remember for sure that it's milder than the factory panther 351W cam (208/219, .444 lift).

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I'll quit talking about doing this now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dashboard with gauges.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1277917
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	gauges in car closeup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1277918

Still needs to be painted to match the dashboard, some trimming done to fill in the little gaps at the edge of the DIN mount, and I need to do something about the lighting. It doesn't match anything either. But the gauges are working and attached to the car in a part that has been sitting around gathering dust for several years while I talk about putting it in someday.

Comment

What car did you get those pedals from? Are they from an LTD?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                          2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                          2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Not sure what the chrome bits came from. 87gtVic found them somewhere. I think the brake pedal pad is originally specified for a Torino or LTD. It came from LMR if I remember right. You can't see it, but it has a chrome button in the middle that says Disc Brake. Its been on there several years now.

Comment

Looks good.
                              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                              Past Panthers
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I love those pedals too, and want a set for our Townies. Damn that thing is fast!
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X