The Galactica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
    Thain, that air filter, why the heck did you stick it there?
    Because thats where the free parts I found located it. I got tired of hearing noise about the lack of filter system, and the stock air box flops around annoyingly when you have no bracket to locate it. Its also ugly as hell.

I could get away with that cause I got open hood and the hot air from the manifolds actually gets pushed back down and under the car, but yers just gets trapped up there and sucked in my the engine - why not extend the piping and pint the filter behind the washer bottle?
    Because I'm lazy and I don't want to re-locate or remove my washer or overflow bottles. I kind of like the stock ones, and moving the filter to a better spot would require doing something with them. I'm also planning on making changes to the intake soonish anyway, so I might end up having to relocate the stuff anyway.

Also what elbow and silicone fitting did you use for that filter?
    I believe it came from the Box of Mike, but don't quote me on that. Unknown what they're from, it was stuff sitting around the shop.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by OVERKILL View Post

In regards to your heat issue, what was going on? Fitting a cooler thermostat is only helpful if your cooling system is adequate enough to handle it, as the cooler you try to run things, the more cooling is required to do that. Perhaps your other T-stat was dying and sticking shut? Because if it can stay at 185 now, then obviously your cooling system (cooling capacity-wise) wasn't the issue.....

Yes, the Mark VIII fan doesn't cover the entire rad, but it's pretty close! It covers a lot more than any of the other fans I've seen........
      Temperature on the stock gauge was running over at the L, sometimes slightly past it edging into the H area, add-on gauge put me at 205-215 cruising on the highway with no AC. Probably the thermostat was just shot and replacing it with a new of the same temperature range would have fixed it. I had a brand new 180 in the trunk already though, so I used it. The 195 was a newer Motorcraft, I'm not certain if I installed it with the Explorer intake, but it was not more than a year old. It always ran on the hot side of the scale on the stock gauge, and I'm not entirely sure I trust the add-on one since the temperature probe looks like it may have suffered a little damage at some point in it's life. Not sure which is more trustworthy at this point, but they now both read happy, stock gauge dead center of the scale, add-on at 185-190. I don't honestly recall but its possible it was the thermostat in the motor when it overheated badly last year from a failed water pump gasket. I might have cooked it then and it didn't get really apparent till it got hot outside.
      Last edited by gadget73; 06-11-2007, 02:34 AM.
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Because I'm lazy and I don't want to re-locate or remove my washer or overflow bottles. I kind of like the stock ones, and moving the filter to a better spot would require doing something with them. I'm also planning on making changes to the intake soonish anyway, so I might end up having to relocate the stuff anyway.
        Who said anything about relocating bottles? Did I relocate my bottles?

Comment

yes the warm air intake came from the box of mike

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

ooh..nice motor dude! me likey!
            what is that intake? the explorer intake?
            sigpic
            1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Damn that looks great man. Usually I don't like the light ford blue in cars this new but in yours it looks great! You running it down the track at SF?
              2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
                ooh..nice motor dude! me likey!
                what is that intake? the explorer intake?
                Yes. early 97 Explorer intake with internal EGR, a Lightning EGR spacer, and the 65mm Explorer throttle body.

Originally posted by zwack88 View Post
                Damn that looks great man. Usually I don't like the light ford blue in cars this new but in yours it looks great! You running it down the track at SF?
                Plan on it. I kinda like the lighter color because its easier to see leaks. The dark blue hides a lot which is good or bad depending.

Comment

Well at least with the 180 you get SLIGHTLY more timing The ECM starts pulling timing just past 190 degrees........
                  1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

How do you like the new steering box? Still using the stock P/S pump?

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                      How do you like the new steering box? Still using the stock P/S pump?
                      Love it. Nice and firm. The car has slightly too much caster so the wheel is a little heavier than it needs to be. Think next time I have it aligned its going back to factory specs. Right now its at like 6 degrees, factory is 3 degrees. The extra stiff torsion bar in the box makes me need that extra caster a whole lot less. And yes, factory (original too I think) pump works fine with it. Lines are coupled because the fittings on the box are different but thats it.

Comment

Really nice car, i love everything you have done to it. Do you have any updates?
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I think I've replaced the body mounts and tires since the last update. Might have swapped back to stock springs, but I don't know the timing exactly. Its got a 3 row radiator now too, a new stereo and a much nicer sub install. I don't document much. I just do stuff and drive the car. I have limited time to do major work on the car, so I just don't bother with taking pictures.

Comment

So i guess a new top is still in the making.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

All's I know is Im happy the aquarium tubing is gone lol.
                              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Since I never update shit, here's some new engine pics. Mass air was done a couple weeks ago, along with the inner fender swap and the airbox setup. Inner fender, overflow bottle, and vac reservoir/relay cover is 1990 Towncar, airbox 1994 Towncar, air tube is 98ish Vic. The relays aren't re-wired into the correct 1990 relay panel, its just my stock relays shoved in the cover. Mass air meter housing is 94 Townie, but the electronics are 95 Tbird with a V8. ECM is a Mustang A9M. I've noticed better fuel economy, better power, and better drivability since doing this. Haven't put it on the dyno, but I've had it at the track and gotten a best of 16.021 in the quarter. Considering I used to be in the 17s, its doing much better now.

Oh, if I've never mentioned it before, the valve covers are 1985 Mustang with my own paintwork. Masking those off was a real pain in the ass too, let me tell you.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X