My 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis Project

Hey all I figured I would start a thread on my 89' Merc since all I do is just ask on how to fix this at that. So Ill post some pics and updates to see what I own and fix.

Well this is . . . aaa ummm well I'm still thinking on a name but this is my car I payed 800$ for it 3 years ago. The funny story on how I came to get this car was that I lost my license for speeding and got my other car towed for 30 days. So I always wanted a big car and originally wanted a Crown Victoria but this came up for sale so I called the owner and agreed to see the car the next day but I had no car to go with. So I called my friend and asked if he can give me a lift 1 hour away to see this car. He had school that day so he said he can only drop me off so it was either buy the car or take a cab home. Funny how I was kinda forced to buy it haha. Came with a slipping transmission the owner said the garage he changed the fluid and filter at put the wrong filter in yada yada yada. It was in great shape spent 5 years in Florida and I am the 2nd owner. She had 173,000km on her (107,497 Miles) and she ran great. Two weeks later I was making a U-Turn in a small village and I herd a PUFF from under the hood then followed by smoke and a burning smell ended up the alternator took a crap. Replaced it with another 2Gunk.

Here are the pictures that I still have from the classifieds add the old owner posted.

Here are some pics of when I got home and cleaned her up real nice.

The CB ever worked just there for show. . .still

Last edited by V8GrandMarquis; 03-09-2011, 02:55 PM.

another panther saved! i like the color

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
      another panther saved! i like the color
      Thanks it actually took me about a year and a half to figure out what colour it is. Is it grey or a silver or maby a silver beige or no no maby a greg beige but it grew on me and I love it.
      Last edited by V8GrandMarquis; 03-09-2011, 04:35 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

Comment

Check engine light's on. :p
        Car looks really nice. 800$ is a good price for these cars if they're in good shape.

Comment

Another quick update 3 month from buying the car transmission went out dished out 1000$ for a rebuilt witch i'm still having problems with.

1 Month after that the exhaust fell off right after the cats so I went to get that done at first I asked take out 2 cats make a H pipe and nice 2.5" pipe and some cool tips.
          Well they fucked that up, they put a X and when the exhaust had to go over the axels they used little tercel penis pipes and the way they put the tips were UGGGGLLLY!

I took it back the next day very upset and told them they F***ed up so I say to make it more easy for them heheh just make 2 pipes front to back no X or H and shoots out from behind the bumper so its hidden.

I've always driven German cars i've had 12 MK2 Jetta's some diesel some gas and 4 old ass BMW's. Thats where I got the yellow high beam idea from.

Last Summer I took off the hubcaps because they were all making a click when the car moved so I took those off and painted those ugly rusted steelies black to make it look decent.

Friends BMW 740il who though he was all tough a big until the Merc showed up.

Some photos I took during the summer

At the watering hole for the 32nd time that day hahahaha

Last Summer She it 200,000KM very proud

And this is the most current picture of the car and she is in need of some mechanical attention. I put on 235/75R15 tires on turbines with some old school centre caps.

Went back to muffler shop to get the last 2 cats out true straight pipe.

Things To Do:
          Valve cover gaskets
          Front passenger side spring cracked
          Front drivers side spring toast
          Both front shocks are finished
          Sway bar bushing are non existent
          Front brakes pull a little
          Rear brakes well there aren't any
          Full tune up
          Fuel filter
          ext.

Just waiting for warm weather like everybody else
          And there are some small holes starting to appear and crazy amounts of clear a pealing off. So some pictures of the rust are coming as well with a repaint of the car hope fully.
          Last edited by V8GrandMarquis; 03-09-2011, 07:08 PM.

Comment

the paint color, is the same as GMGT, light pewter met. its a mix of silver and copper. more silver than copper. i had the same problem when i painted GMGT. do i put silver or gold on the ownership? i put down silver lol. and it looks good with the turbines. and do them yellow lenses work good in snow and rain?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Nice car mang. I am digging the rumble seats lol. I see something familiar sitting in the "waiting to be installed" pile.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                the paint color, is the same as GMGT, light pewter met. its a mix of silver and copper. more silver than copper. i had the same problem when i painted GMGT. do i put silver or gold on the ownership? i put down silver lol. and it looks good with the turbines. and do them yellow lenses work good in snow and rain?
                Hahaha yea the paint is a bit of a head scratcher when your trying to debate what colour it is. When ever I get a ticket on it, it says grey. As for the yellow high beams I used modelling pain witch was great until it start to slowly fade but I recently found a product that is made to colour glass like spray paint it makes it much more yellow. As to your question ohh yes what a difference it makes in snow,fog especially, rain, at night ext. The yellow really cuts trough more then white.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  Nice car mang. I am digging the rumble seats lol. I see something familiar sitting in the "waiting to be installed" pile.
                  hahaha yea can't wait. So rumble seats i'm guessing are the more conferrable LS seats then?

Comment

haha. Sorry for confusing you. I was referring to the guys in the trunk.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      haha. Sorry for confusing you. I was referring to the guys in the trunk.
                      ahhh ahahahaha well thats my friend to the left and me on the right

Comment

very nice mang looks great quick question is all the road signs in french lol

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
                          very nice mang looks great quick question is all the road signs in french lol
                          In quebec every thing is in french

Comment

Small Update I've received some misc. parts for my Merc special thanks to WagonMan he also sent me the centre caps.

Comment

Update July 22, 2011

So it's been a while and the car isn't getting any better. Here are some shots of getting it out of storage I took these photos almost 4-5 months ago and the car fired right up after hooking up the battery.

Here if you look right before the PR door there is a pretty big and deep scratch or gash happened in a parking lot never found out who did it but I AM VERY
                              (I put greece on it so doesn't rust thats the yellow looking crap if any one was wondering)

. . . So a week after these photo's I took the car to my buddy's garage and there it sat to get worked on but still nothing she's just sitting there shortage in money.
                              Here is when I went to take her for a little spin after sitting almost 2 months so far so good until a freaking tire came off!
                              This is how she sat:

And this is how she sits:

Again very disappointed 140$ in towing but car is now back at the garage resting on its 3 wheels with the 4th in the trunk.
                              In the next two weeks i'm robbing a bank and fixing my Merc . . .well I just worked my butt off but I will be getting her on the road very shortly and have lots planned to do on her. I was also having some fun with photo shop just wondering witch of these do you prefer I'm planning on hanging a plaq on my wall. THANKS!

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X