No announcement yet.

My 'new' 2003 Grand Marquis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I looked at that. Two weird things though, they were a LOT smaller dia than the pins, and there's only one per side.

Pete
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

You can use the old brake pad seated on the caliper then put the c clap over it...this way you squeeze both pistons at once.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah I would ordinarily, but the pads were in good shape and I didn't want to damage them. I also saved the good front rotor and both back ones (they weren't bad). I even save the old hardware if undamaged. All boxed and tagged. Yikes, I'm more like my depression era dad everyday lol. Pretty soon I'll be eating apple cores so to not waste them

I did them 'cause I was getting a pulse and wanted it to die. Die! And I sure wasn't changing the rotors without new pads.

Ah shoot the AC doesn't work. Doesn't even kick on/ increase idle. Should I try charging it before going nuts?

Pete
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375

Comment

Not a ton done since last inane post, had to change the fan resistor thingy, easy, and yesterday got new rear speaks in.

I put 6 x 8 Clif Designs in the front a while back. I almost bought another pair for the rear (which idiot at Ford decided not to use 6 x 9s??) but noticed they only went to 80 hz, so I picked up a pair of Infinity Kappas which I've liked in the past.

I dismantle the back seat/package shelf cover and lo and behold - a factory cutout for a sub!

Dang nab it that changes everything. If I would've known I would've dropped a little sub in there and gotten the Clifs (which have very very good SQ). I assume that's the same sub from a Lincoln? I wonder if I could bolt in an 8" from underneath. Anyone know?

Anywho I got the Infinities in clean the hell out of the removed parts and take it for a spin. I had to put the shelf cover on loose first 'cause the Kappas have a neat little button on the tweets, 'off' is 0 db, 'on' turns the tweet down 3 db, but once installed the shelf covers it up so I needed to give it a listen both ways. '0' won the day.

First impressions on an un-broken-in new speaker. There is definately more low end (although I won't judge it for a couple weeks). They do seem to be more sensitive than the Clifs, instead of the 1 notch to the front I had the fader set to, it's now better on 2. Highs are more prevalent than the Clifs too.

I'd feel better rating them if I had them at all 4 corners. I'm thinking at this point that once I pick up a factory Lincoln sub and see if it works I'll end up putting the Clifs in the back too, for a more sonicly matched sound.

But matching, volume or tweeter adjustment aside, they are WAY better than factory. Can't wait till the bass smooths out.

Did I mention, WTF was Ford thinking, putting 6 x 8s in the back??! Rocks in the head? Frontal lobotomy? Too much crack? Not enough?

Also got the AC o ring kit, orafice tube, and the quick disconnect tools. I'll have the AC done just in time for winter

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by sniper308 View Post
            Nice Panther but a few more pics will like more :camera: like.. Interiors,engine bay,trunk,undercar,front,rear, so far.
            ^What he said.
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I've managed to lose my camera! Perhaps when my sis in law stops by...

Gonna start an interesting project. I'm having my speakerbuilding bud take a look at the details for the sub, maybe he'll come up with optimum speaker parameters for the size trunk.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
                I've managed to lose my camera! Perhaps when my sis in law stops by...

Gonna start an interesting project. I'm having my speakerbuilding bud take a look at the details for the sub, maybe he'll come up with optimum speaker parameters for the size trunk.

Pete
                With trunks as big as Panthers have, there is never a problem getting a box to perform well. I had a huge box with a 15 in my 89 MGM and it really rocked.
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I should be more clear. I'm not going to install a separate box, I'm going to use the factory cutout hole on the rear deck.

One concern I can see, that the backs of the 6 x 8s aren't covered and perhaps the sub beating will interfere with them. I may try the cardboard covers off a box.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
                    I should be more clear. I'm not going to install a separate box, I'm going to use the factory cutout hole on the rear deck.

One concern I can see, that the backs of the 6 x 8s aren't covered and perhaps the sub beating will interfere with them. I may try the cardboard covers off a box.

Pete
                    I understand now. Sounds like a good idea. I would think you may need to reinforce that area a bit to keep the rattles down.
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Haven't done much, new tires basically, but have driven it a ton more.

It is just plain fun to drive. Handles super well, good feeling take off/accelleration, nice note even with single exhaust, great brakes (I can see why everyone does the big brake conversion!), and now getting chilly I love the heated seats. I'm going to refit some into my 85 if I ever get caught up. Another thing, the volume control on the steering wheel. When I get back in the 85 after this one my thumb tries to press a nonexistant button.

Did have a park/tranny problem (another thread), just been careful with it for now. Changed the headlight bulbs with some nice aftermarket ones, a slight improvement but not really worth it.

One thing I've forgotten since selling my old 97, dropping noses on oncoming cars at night when they see me

Planning on doing a tuneup soon. When I change the plugs do I need to change the boots too?

Pete

Comment

If they are damaged or sticking to the plugs, yes. Otherwise you're probably OK but it wouldn't hurt if you've got a few extra bucks.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Still done very little to her, just second base

But I got a chance to see her snow moves. With new but nothing special tires on the front and new Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grips on the rear this thing is a beast in the snow. Phooey on FWD, I'll be pulling them out this year. Or maybe just laughing as I drive by :p

Pete

Comment

1. you have a dirty mind! but, i like it lol

2. dont stop, drive right past

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I'm down with number 2 But only non UAW/CAW ones

The hood latch spring is getting really weak. I cleaned & lubed the living crap out of it but a bit of ice on the hood and it won't pop up. Found the hood latch assembly on ebay, a NOS Motorcraft, asking $15 got it for 11 delivered!, the seller is a super nice guy. He's still got another one, fyi... And I picked up some hood struts, SACHS SG404024 from Rock, USA made and lifetime warrentee.

Getting ready for the IRS parts buy. For this car I'm going with a Cloyes timing chain kit as the engine noise is slowly but certainly getting louder. I've already got the gasket set. I considered changing the water pump while I'm there but interestingly they seem easy to change on these engines, you don't have to remove them to do the chain, they are fairly expensive and the feds aren't being too generous this year (and my driveway needs attention!). I'll pull it off inspect it and change the gasket anyway.

Developing a slight constant wobble on the right front with a slight pull. My first thought, change the whole front end! My second thought is, it's only got 65k, you're an idiot. Too used to the 85 It's either a bearing, lower ball joint, or the strut? Perhaps a tie rod end. I did have to change the lower ball joints on my 97 early on. I'll have to take a hard look at it.

I'm hoping to do some interior work too, the drivers seat is getting a little hole, and the dash trim piece that says 'Grand Marquis' has a little wave in it, but that is pretty far down the priority list. I'm thinking if I've still got enough left I'll get coil packs.

Blah, blah, blah. Cars, they're reminding me of the Pretenders, it's a thin line between love and hate.

Pete

Comment

So your engine valve covers don't have the dots and x on them? If they did, the tensioner stuff was already done. I have some info on my website (see my sig) with pics of the markings. Nice car though!

Comment

Working...
                                X