No announcement yet.

1979 Ford LTD, barn find FTW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice work mang! Good to see another LTD-S out there that's not being sent to the crusher! What are the future plans for it? get it road worthy and drive it?
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Nice! That would make a nice weekend cruiser.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
        nice work mang! Good to see another LTD-S out there that's not being sent to the crusher! What are the future plans for it? get it road worthy and drive it?
        Tis the plan. I've seen your LTD-S and was admiring it and comparing it to mine for reference. I like what you've done with it! Half the roof has been sanded and primered, then school happened so I've only been back for the engine part. The other half of the roof is next, as well as the left half of the car. Then a complete sand-down and primer of the trunk lid, a bit of undercoating, and it should be ready to roll.
        1984 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (Daily Driver)
        1979 Ford LTD-S (Project)

Comment

Does it have crank windows?
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
            Does it have crank windows?
            Yup, crank windows, Shaft Style radio, no cruise, vinyl seats.

Comment

Update! Well, found out the hood is bad underneath, so that will have to be replaced, even after all of the work I did on it. Otherwise, things are not very busy around here, thanks in part to college. However, a couple weeks ago, we had the car running around driving. My mom took some video of it. My dad is the one driving, though I got some wheel time around the yard later.

Engine started running a bit funny, put the 2 barrel back on it that came with the motor, running okay now. We're gonna see if it's just something we're overlooking with the Variable Venturi.

One question for you guys: Does anyone know where I can get a new rear bumper/reinforcement box for it? Ours is rusted pretty much beyond repair, and we've been looking high and low, and still haven't found anything.

Other than all that, we've been poking around and working on it as time allows. Hopefully it'll be inspectable within a month, before the snow flies.

Comment

Thanks! (delayed response to above post^ lol). i believe any bumper reinforcement from 79-87 should work...i saw some at one time online. can't remember where but i know they are available unlike the bumper covers themselves. It would probably be best to just go to a junkyard and get the whole bumper assy, unless your looking for a special strip-less bumper like i aam, which are harder to find. Hood too, shouldn't be more then 50-100 at a junkyard. It's too bad your more then 6 hours away from me, I'd love to see another S model.

How's the undercarriage/floors/frame look? much rust there?

As far as the radio goes...i may have hacked mine when i got it =/, really regretting it now. I'm curious as to your dash configuration can you post a few pictures of it?
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Thanks! (delayed response to above post^ lol). i believe any bumper reinforcement from 79-87 should work...i saw some at one time online. can't remember where but i know they are available unlike the bumper covers themselves. It would probably be best to just go to a junkyard and get the whole bumper assy, unless your looking for a special strip-less bumper like i aam, which are harder to find. Hood too, shouldn't be more then 50-100 at a junkyard. It's too bad your more then 6 hours away from me, I'd love to see another S model.

How's the undercarriage/floors/frame look? much rust there?

As far as the radio goes...i may have hacked mine when i got it =/, really regretting it now. I'm curious as to your dash configuration can you post a few pictures of it?
                  We're looking for the whole assembly, only thing is, all the junkyards around here have absolutely nothing in terms of 79-87 boxes.

All of that is pretty rustless, minus a small bit to be patched on the floor pan.

When I'm up next time, I'll try to take some pictures to post.

Comment

Originally posted by flyb0t View Post
                    We're looking for the whole assembly, only thing is, all the junkyards around here have absolutely nothing in terms of 79-87 boxes.
                    That's so often a problem ... I had one heck of a time finding the little supporty-plate things for a wagon rear bumper, and ended up scoring an whole extra bumper from some salvage guys whose buddy demos the things. Took lots of phone calls, though, and then it was quite a drive to go get it!
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yeah. If anyone has any leads or knows of any junkyard finds that would be good, let me know..it's getting really frustrating not being able to find anything, not to mention not having time to go peruse junkyards.

Comment

lots of them in the junkyards around here. i think i may grab a rear bumper reinforcement...and maybe a front next time im at the JY....my rear is a little rotted out.
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

lots of them in the junkyards around here. i think i may grab a rear bumper reinforcement...and maybe a front next time im at the JY....my rear is a little rotted out.
                          Oh yeah? I am very interested in this..where exactly in Jersey are you? Can you get the price on a good hood, trunk lid and rear bumper box?

Comment

south jersey, i usually go to shorty's you pull it, or albion. i believe hoods are $50. i can see about the trunk lid and rear bumper box.
                            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

south jersey, i usually go to shorty's you pull it, or albion. i believe hoods are $50. i can see about the trunk lid and rear bumper box.
                              Thanks man! That'd be great!

Comment

Finally, after a long time of waiting, my big christmas present this year, a 351 Cleveland.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cleveland.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1268257

2bbl, from 1970. With a few modifications, going into the LTD relatively soon, as weather and money permits. I'm home from college for the winter break, so I've got scads of free time to work on the ol' gal.

On an unrelated note, can anyone explain why my Grand Marquis is misfiring/bucking at speed? Literally everything on the motor has been replaced once (or twice) recently, and yet nothing is resolving this misfire/bucking idle/bucking-jerking while driving. Only things that haven't been replaced are the timing chain (which we checked and think it's still okay) and the TFI module, which we tested and verified working.

Comment

Working...
                                X