No announcement yet.

My 1989 Lincoln 557 cobra jet project in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mind if I ask how much those Moser axles ran you? Beefy.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

All Moser custom 31 spline c-clip axels are $295 a pair.
      sigpic
      89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
      13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
      "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

considering stock replacements are about $125 per... that's a good price.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          considering stock replacements are about $125 per... that's a good price.
          yeah, sounds like a case of "might as well upgrade" even if you don't need it.

And of course with a 557...this is one car that needs it.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Got the housing back from the welder's shop.

Did some wire brushing and sanding. Keeping my fingers crossed for 40degrees tomorrow to do the cleaning inside and out. Can't have the torpedo heater running with those volatile fumes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0743.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1273828
            sigpic
            13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
            "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Got the rear painted and assembled it to check gear pattern. I smiled when the backlash was 0.012. The pattern was another matter.

Hindsight being 20/20 it bugs me that I didn't put a 0.030 pinion shim in. I thought about it but decided to put in the 0.027 that was in it to begin with. Since I'm no expert, I'm thinking about trying the 0.030 and seeing if that gets me there. I have said before give me a 50/50 choice and I will choose the wrong one every time!

Name:	DSCI0745.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1273854Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0748.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1273855Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0752.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1273856
              sigpic
              13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Havent keped up with the complete thread but a heads up. The weakest point of the rear end are the bearing caps are you using the stock ones?
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                  Havent keped up with the complete thread but a heads up. The weakest point of the rear end are the bearing caps are you using the stock ones?
                  Sorry to say just the stock caps. The only help is the aluminum cover/brace.

2nd try was a little better. I think it's about half way there. Wish I knew more about how much to change shim to get a desired effect. Thinking about going up by another .003 to total .033 and see where I'm at???

Name:	2a.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1273860Click image for larger version

Name:	2c.jpg
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1273861
                  sigpic
                  13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

There is so much win in this thread I don't even know what to say except... awesome job!!! This is what I love seeing done with boxes
                    1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
                      Sorry to say just the stock caps. The only help is the aluminum cover/brace.

2nd try was a little better. I think it's about half way there. Wish I knew more about how much to change shim to get a desired effect. Thinking about going up by another .003 to total .033 and see where I'm at???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38625[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38626[/ATTACH]
                      That looks better. That's about what the 4.10's I put in my 88 came out at (actually they were probably a touch worse).

At least with the whole axle out of the car tearing it apart again isn't as bad...
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Well, here is number 3.

Still not enough. I'll try one more time at .036 Ugh! I just want the drive side closer to the toe and root.

Name:	3a.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1273864Click image for larger version

Name:	3b.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1273865
                        sigpic
                        13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Pretty damn close though. I always hated setting up gears, even in the marine side of things. That's why I don't even try anymore lol.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I think the 3rd setup at .033 is the best.

This is the 4th try at .036 it seems to have gone too far.

Name:	4a - Copy.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1273876Click image for larger version

Name:	4b - Copy.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1273877
                            sigpic
                            13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

This is at .032 pinion shim. The backlash was reading .015

Name:	DSCI0747.jpg
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1273880Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0748.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1273881

Moved the carrier .003 to get backlash to .013. I wanted to get to .012 but those shims were not available. Stacking them just didn't work as well as getting the oem shims in one piece. I was shocked when they did have these sizes in stock at my local dealer. This is the final marking. I think pinion at .031 with backlash at .012 might be perfect but I just cant do it again. It got quicker and easier each time but not enough to do it all over again! lol

Name:	DSCI0749.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1273883Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0750.jpg
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1273884

Much happier with the brakes. They went on quite well. Everything is lining up perfectly. Made me happy since they sat for a few years in a box.

Name:	DSCI0751.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1273885Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0754.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1273886Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0755.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1273887
                              sigpic
                              13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

What calipers are those?

Comment

Working...
                                X