No announcement yet.

My 1989 Lincoln 557 cobra jet project in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to get or barrow a video recorder. I'm still upgrading and finishing some things. I see some 10" tread tires I want for the back that will go right on my stock rims. I am still spinning the tires non-stop all the way through 1st and 2nd. Looking to put on headers with 3" dual and h-pipe. Air conditioning will go in over the winter. I just can't seem to stop spending money!!! Video recorder or another part for the car? The car just seems to win out every time. Imagine that...
    sigpic
    89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
    "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

understandable... even crappy cell phone video would work for these junkies though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working shocks WOW

Just changed the rear shocks. The driver's side was shot!!! It moved by just flipping it upside down collapsing under it's own weight!!!! Put in coilovers and raised the rear over an inch. Hooking off the start is so much better, like night and day. Should get my 0-60 way down from 6sec. Still going to put some 10" tread tires on the rear then decide on the sway bar.
        sigpic
        13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
        "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

nice!

What tires (and rims?) are you going with?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

cmooooon slicks!
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I am looking at BF Goodrich radial TAs. The 255/70-15 Fits on the stock rim and has a 10" tred. I'm not ready to get rid of the spoke hubcaps yet hehe. My speedo is showing a little faster then what the car is going so I want to make all changes with gearing and tire size before calculating what tooth speedo gear I need.
              sigpic
              13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Wow, that's a heckuva tall tire. Looks perfect on a Chevy 2500 van! 255/60 is a stock 27" tall, 275/60 is 28".

My experience with Radial T/As was that they're less than optimal in all conditions but also extremely predictable. Never got stuck with mine, but that was in a wagon with a stock lowpo.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

255/70/15 or a stock panther steelie? we must get pics. i personally, have not seen this before. im sure you mean 255/60/15. that tire would fit decent i would think. i still would be curious to see how they fit on the rim.
                  Last edited by marquisman; 11-21-2011, 10:55 PM.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

^^^ That too. 8" wide is about optimal for a 255/60/15.

Comment

you can (and I will in the future) buy steelies which the stock hubcaps will fit onto but are wider. Up to 10 inches tall.

Keep in mind that tires significantly wider than the rims will not grip nearly as well as they would on a properly sized rim.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I'm still looking forward to seeing them myself. Must be a square looking tire since the sidewall is 10.4" I have to special order them from Summit to see them in person. Should do in store pickup since it is only a 35min drive. That way I can roll them from pick-up to return if they won't work for me. They should be good for about 50 feet.:smirk:
                        sigpic
                        13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          ^^^ That too. 8" wide is about optimal for a 255/60/15.
                          THIS!

my merc has 255/60/15s on the rear, mounted on 8'' rims and they look proper.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
                            I'm still looking forward to seeing them myself. Must be a square looking tire since the sidewall is 10.4" I have to special order them from Summit to see them in person. Should do in store pickup since it is only a 35min drive. That way I can roll them from pick-up to return if they won't work for me. They should be good for about 50 feet.:smirk:
                            Hey, if you really want a 29" tire, don't let us stop you! I remember an old Car Craft article where they bought a '70 Kingswood and tried fitting 255/70/15s on the front and 275/70/15s on the rear (IIRC). Then again, the Kingswood was a good bit bigger visually than a Panther. A more common solution for smaller vehicles like ours seems to be (once have been?) 255/60/15 front and 275/60/15 rear. I did that on my Colony Park for a while, and it worked decently except for the rears seeming a little wobbly from the tall sidewalls.
                            Last edited by 1987cp; 11-22-2011, 11:02 PM.

Comment

I just saw this pic in the PoTM thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/attachme...3&d=1321838380

Not that I know squat about Town Cars, but what's with all the little buttons along the bit of trim above the radio?

Comment

Ahh SOOOOO refreshing to see a vehicle taken to this level with engine modifications and have the interior in absolutely spectacular shape. One thing I mumble about is how people spend oodles amount of time on building an engine while they leave the interior looking like a complete trash bin.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X