88 Marquis "Granada 2"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88 Marquis "Granada 2"

I have been waiting since February to get this car! I drove over to Pace, Florida and got the title Wendsday and went back Saturday to haul the car back home. It was purchased new by my great uncle, and it was rarely driven and garage kept until 2006 when he gave the car to his sister who in turn gave the car to me 2 weeks ago. Since 2006 it has been outdoors and maintenance was rare, although it is in decent condition dispite its abuse.

I use to own an 82 Ford Grananda, same platform/bodystyle and to this day it was the most comfortable car I have ever driven, until now hopefully. You know how a car just seems to fit YOU like a glove, the Granada did... I think this one will too!

I am planning on getting started on the known repairs it needs by this weekend. I am making a list as well for any things I need to check or watch out for that are known to cause problems with this model, so if you know of anything, just let me know.

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    52,176 original miles

Installed options:
    • Autolamp
    • Washer Fluid Warning Light
    • Low Fuel Warning Light
    • Tripminder Computer
    • Concealed Remote Trunk Release
    • Tilt Steering
    • Illuminated Entry
    • Map Lamps
    • Rear Defroster
    • Speed Control
    • Locking Wire-Style Wheelcovers
    • Conventional Spare Tire

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mercury s001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	1297839

Name:	Mercury s004.jpg
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	1297840

Name:	Mercury s005.jpg
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	1297841

Name:	Mercury s006.jpg
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	1297842

Name:	Mercury s007.jpg
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	1297843

Name:	Mercury s008.jpg
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	1297844

Name:	Mercury s009.jpg
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	1297845

Bob
    "Elaine" - '88 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    52,146 mi, stock 5.0L

Good luck with your car, looks like it has potential. But.. just to clear things up an 88 MGM is not the same platform as a Granada. The MGM is on Ford's full size Panther platform and the Granada is the compact Fox body platform. They are completely different vehicles, the Panther being body on frame and the Fox being unibody.

Welcome to the site.
    Last edited by tjc78; 07-06-2011, 11:24 AM.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
      Good luck with your car, looks like it has potential. But.. just to clear things up an 88 MGM is not the same platform as a Granada. The MGM is on Ford's full size Panther platform and the Granada is the compact Fox body platform. They are completely different vehicles, the Panther being body on frame and the Fox being unibody.

Welcome to the site.
      You are correct, I wish I had caught that before I posted as now I cannot edit it. I should have said "similar bodystyle"... as they do look similar.

I think the old girl has potential, I just need to sort out a few things mechanically, although she starts and runs great, she will overheat and leaks transmission fluid. I am off to the parts store today...
      52,146 mi, stock 5.0L

Comment

Does the fan spin alot after you shut the car off?

And where is it leaking transmission fluid?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
          Does the fan spin alot after you shut the car off?

And where is it leaking transmission fluid?
          I wil not know much until I get a battery this afternoon and change the thermostat, but I did not notice the fan spinning after shutdown. There is a pin hole in the transmission line near the rear of the motor, it only leaks when running in gear. I plan on replacing both lines from the transmission to the radiator.

Bob
          52,146 mi, stock 5.0L

Comment

Originally posted by JustBob View Post
            I wil not know much until I get a battery this afternoon and change the thermostat, but I did not notice the fan spinning after shutdown. There is a pin hole in the transmission line near the rear of the motor, it only leaks when running in gear. I plan on replacing both lines from the transmission to the radiator.

Bob
            That have a transmission cooler?

Comment

I always did like the two-tone rocker panels with matching vinyl top. A very good looking color combo. It'd look a lot smoother if the upper bump trim was removed though...

Are you looking into just fixing her up and/or restoration, or will you be upgrading and modding/restomodding?

sigpic
              - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

That have a transmission cooler?
                I ment the transmission lines that go from the transmission to the radiator.

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
                I always did like the two-tone rocker panels with matching vinyl top. A very good looking color combo. It'd look a lot smoother if the upper bump trim was removed though...

Are you looking into just fixing her up and/or restoration, or will you be upgrading and modding/restomodding?
                Yea, the upper trim has got to go. I have not made up my mine on the color, but I do like the two-tone color scheme on these cars. The plan for now is to restore the car to like new condition, but for now I will get it running reliably for it to be my daily driver while I repair my two trucks and then sell one of them.

After that, I will get to restoring the marquis as time and budget allows. The only mods I forsee are some tweeks to the motor... hey, more power is better right?
                52,146 mi, stock 5.0L

Comment

Originally posted by JustBob View Post
                  I ment the transmission lines that go from the transmission to the radiator.

Yea, the upper trim has got to go. I have not made up my mine on the color, but I do like the two-tone color scheme on these cars. The plan for now is to restore the car to like new condition, but for now I will get it running reliably for it to be my daily driver while I repair my two trucks and then sell one of them.

After that, I will get to restoring the marquis as time and budget allows. The only mods I forsee are some tweeks to the motor... hey, more power is better right?
                  It wouldn't hurt to add a cooler, in fact it would be better. Also, if you're replacing the lines, get new quick disconnect fittings.

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to add a cooler, in fact it would be better. Also, if you're replacing the lines, get new quick disconnect fittings.
                    Thanks for the tip, I just put a nice stacked plate cooler on my gmc 1500, I will pick one up for the Marquis next week. Do you mean quick connects for the hard lines, or for rubber replacement lines. I was going to bend all new metal lines front to back... I am curious about the quick disconnect fittings.
                    52,146 mi, stock 5.0L

Comment

Ok, I am a bit discouraged now, but not deterred! I got the overheating sorted, it had a bad thermostat, but I have now found out the condition of the Marquis had been grossly exagerated...

Name:	merc engine s004.jpg
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	1265314

The engine was overfilled by 2 quarts for the engine oil, and when combined with valve covers that leaked worse than a screen door on a submarine, well it was quite a mess;
                      The transmission was overfilled by 4 quarts;
                      The battery was not playing possum, it was dead... with a dnr note attached;

It would start and run like a swiss watch, when I first got it. Now that I have fixed a few things, and replaced the coolant temp sensor, all new heater hoses, radiator, thermostat, cap and rotor, capped a couple of broken vacuum lines... it now runs with a miss, and when you accelerate, it stumbles briefly and then it will accelerate.

Tomorrow I start dissasembly to change the valve covers, plugs and plug wires, pcv valve grommet and filter. While the upper intake plenum is off I will rebuild and ultrasonic clean the injectors, throttle body, egr spacer and replace the tv cable bushing with a brass one. Glad I like working on cars!

If anyone knows of anything I need to check or replace while its apart just let me know, I will pick up a chilton or haynes on the way home tomorrow so that may help with knowing where what is, and checking sensors etc.

Oh and has anyone seen this before? It is a brown metallic powder all over the passenger side of the engine bay... kinda like powdered iron!

Name:	brownresidue.jpg
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1265313
                      52,146 mi, stock 5.0L

Comment

Buy an official Ford manual(s) for your specific model and year. They are far more acurate. I normally see them on Ebay. I have the set for each car I own.
                        The brown dust COULD be from the A/C compressor clutch. Either an old one that was replaced or the existing one.
                        Last edited by Mainemantom; 07-15-2011, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                          Buy an official Ford manual(s) for your specific model and year. They are far more acurate. I normally see them on Ebay. I have the set for each car I own.
                          The brown dust COULD be from the A/C compressor clutch. Either an old one that was replaced or the existing one.
                          I would rather have the ford service manual, but after buying parts for three vehicles, I will barely be able to buy the chilton. I bought a online OMC service manual for my outboard, is there anywhere you can do that with ford service manuals? For my OMC it $7 compared to $55 for the actual book.

I didnt think about the a/c clutch, I checked all the pulleys and the smog pump and couldnt find anything. I will try to find out if the a/c compressor or clutch has been changed, but right now it works fine, no noise so maybe it was changed.
                          52,146 mi, stock 5.0L

Comment

Looks great, mines the same color on the inside.
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS- "Sarah" 122k miles

1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV- 275k? miles

Comment

May want to remove or replace that "ratty assed" Hood Insulation. There's a guy on Ebay that markets them from a company in PA. CLASS TECH CARS. Talk to Chad (he is in VA.) 540-896-5758 or http://www.class-tech-cars.com. Please note I DO NOT make any money from this - only doing a public service!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X