Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1987 Town Car Stars and Stripes RestoMod Sleeper. Need Advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 Town Car Stars and Stripes RestoMod Sleeper. Need Advice.

Here is my 1987 Town Car Stars and Stripes Edition. 1 of 100 built in 1987. Currently my daily driver. RestoMod in progress. I envision this car to handle on rails, and do the 1/4 in 12's. I'd like something that I can literally autocross. Need advice. Now I know that sounds outrageous, but it's only a 4100 lb car. New S197 Mustangs weigh just as much. Here is my restoration list in order of priority. Engine Performance, Braking, Suspension, Wheels, Rear End Rebuild, Paint

Engine Performance:
    Stock LoPo 5.0 tank motor. I started with Dual Exhaust/Flowmasters last month. My focus is on performance at this point. Next up will be a set of GT40 Heads/Intake/Cam/Computer/Mass Air/Shorty Headers. Someday, maybe a Vortech dependant on driveability. A good breathing 5.0 will get over 20mpg. I don't want to average 10mpg for the sake of a Vortech Blower.

Braking: I'd like to convert to something high performance that will stop this Tank on a dime. I need advice. Perhaps a Cobra brake upgrade?

Suspension: Rear control arms and or bushings will be first up. Secondly, I will address the small front swaybar and lack of rear sway bar perhaps with Crown Vic Police Interceptor Units or if anything else is available. Next up will be the Springs/Shocks. I've heard Springs are a touchy subject with weight/ride comfort/ride height(need advice). Front control Arm replacement if possible or perhaps just bushings.

Wheels: I plan to do a 20" wire wheel combo with performance tires for handling.

Rear End: I like 3:08 gearing for gas mileage, but I will be converting to traction lock. Maybe some gears. We'll see.

Paintjob: Factory White finish. All stainless refinished. Going to have to try to save the Stars and Stripes stickers somehow!!!

87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
    Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Nice to see you made it overhear as well!

It seriously sounds like your doing it right.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
      Nice to see you made it overhear as well!

It seriously sounds like your doing it right.
      Hey bro. Had to take your advice. Surprised to see you on my post so quick. I think I'm doing it right. Got guys on here putting 557CI Cobra Jet motors in their mint town cars. So, I gotta represent. Love this car. Hate the LOPO 5.0. I Love the track width and length. So solid. t I think it will handle great with every suspension part I can throw at it.
      87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
      Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

I agree you're on the right track. Not sure how much police suspension will help, there are limo parts out there though like swaybars.

Imo 12s in the quarter streetably will take more cubic inches and/or boost.

Not sure i'd trust 20 inch wires for performance applications, and tires will be super pricey.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Welcome
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I'm concerned with my choices of front and rear control arms and brakes at this point. I think I'm seeing/reading that people use late model town car front control arms and poly bushings. What are people using for rear control arms and bushings. As far as brakes, I'm reading about the 98-02 front upgrade which seems great. Probably need to change spindles and front hubs. I read Lincolnmania did the 92-97 rear disk upgrade. What about the master cylinder?

Comment

I have no response but... Kick off your shoes and enjoy the ride !

Comment

Originally posted by 87stars_stripes View Post
                I'm concerned with my choices of front and rear control arms and brakes at this point. I think I'm seeing/reading that people use late model town car front control arms and poly bushings. What are people using for rear control arms and bushings. As far as brakes, I'm reading about the 98-02 front upgrade which seems great. Probably need to change spindles and front hubs. I read Lincolnmania did the 92-97 rear disk upgrade. What about the master cylinder?
                I'd box the rear control arms and get poly bushings in before re-inventing the rear suspension. The newer cars have a very different design. Stiffness is most of what the box era rear end seems to lack.

There are a few ways to make the mc work with rear disks.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Very nice. I've actually worked on an S&S before. Lincolnmania and I rescued one out of New York and he still works on it. Its fairly rough these days but its still running.

The front and rear brakes don't absolutely require messing with the master cylinder, but you will get better performance out of it if you do. Mostly its the valving and proportioning thats different. The actual bore of the MC is the same. The later model booster is a dual diaphragm type too, so you have more available boost. The stock MC feels fine with large front and later rear discs, but the later stuff feels more confident. Scott replaced my original MC with one from a 2000s model and it definitely made a difference. of course the original really was original, some 185k miles and 25 years of use.

Nobody has done this yet to my knowledge, but adding a panhard bar to the rear should make it significantly more stable. if you've ever worked on Fox Mustangs, you'll recognize the basic 4 link design under that Lincoln. Same shortcomings, etc. Later cars have a watts link, but the control arms mount up significantly different, requiring adding brackets to the frame and a completely new rear axle. You can probably get quite a lot done with a panhard bar. Of course, using a 92+ rear may be to your advantage anyway. They have the discs for one, but they also have a wider track width. Its not a bunch, I think its roughly 1" overall but that might be useful for handling. The disc backing plates will bolt in place of the stock drum parts if you wish to retain the original rear axle.
                  Last edited by gadget73; 09-04-2011, 02:40 AM.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87stars_stripes View Post
                    With the big brake swap, you'd need 16" wheels at least. Rear discs are a fairly easy swap if you have all the parts. Backing plates, parking brake cables, brake hoses, rotors, and calipers.

You can use the master cylinder that's on your car with the new brakes. Most people however upgrade this as well as the rest of the brake system so everything works as it would on a newer (non abs) panther.
                    I just did a rear end swap in my car from a 1992 Crown Vic, with a k code rear (3.55:1 ratio with traction lock) and rear disc brakes. Just ditching the drum brakes gave the brakes a whole different feel. I plan on doing Big brakes in the front, paired with My HPP wheels that I have yet to find a 4th. I also am simultaneously planning an ABS swap. Because these cars aren't the best in wet weather.

Police box rear sway bar would help drastically, paired with either a front box police bar or a Wagon bar.

Some more steering mods would be the 98-02 police steering box. I've only driven one car that had both the big brakes and the upgraded steering box and such. And that was actually a wagon. And that thing fucking stops on a dime. The steering takes a bit to get used to but it's fucking awesome.

Oh, welcome to the site mang! Lol. What part do you hail from?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post

Some more steering mods would be the 98-02 police steering box. I've only driven one car that had both the big brakes and the upgraded steering box and such. And that was actually a wagon. And that thing fucking stops on a dime. The steering takes a bit to get used to but it's fucking awesome.
                      My 89 is running a 98-02 steering box, complete 98-02 front suspension, poly bushings in the upper and lower control arms (and sway bar bushings)s p71 front sway bar, police rear sway bar, police shocks, and hpp front springs and rear tow package springs. Big Brake swap up front, disc out back, and riding on 16" hpp's. It handles and stops damn fine, and after I finish putting the 925# and 225# springs in, it should be even better.
                      Last edited by pantera77; 09-04-2011, 10:27 AM.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Welcome and good luck with your plans , I noticed a Tennessee plate on your car , what part of the state are you in?
                        sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

welcome to gmn!

they made more than 100 stars and stripes town cars, the actual number is around 1800 (i think it was two for each dealer if they wanted them as i remember the dealer i worked at in the 80's getting two of these)...........i work on one and there is another one in the same town that i see all the time parked on the street.,,,,sent u a detailed pm on parts needed for the upgrades.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Not going to touch 12's without some serious motor work .. especially with 20's and 3.08's out back. Your not going to lose much (if any) mileage going with 3.55's but youll notice a big difference in power, you could likely get away with 3.73's too and 20's are too big, especially if you want performance, just extra weight and tires that cost double of what a 16-17 would. Just run some 16 inch wheels or even 17's if you find a set you like but you probably shoudlnt go bigger then that. Big heavy wheels will make your car handle way worse and slower and even worse on gas.
                            79 Grand Marquis

Comment

put a low enough first gear and enough motor, you can make reasonable 1/4 times with tallish rear gears. Prob will require a wide ratio gearset though, the stock stuff is certainly not favorable for that kind of speed with a tall rear gear.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X