No announcement yet.

Creamy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparing to install the 3.90 geared rear end in Creamy. Removed the old 3.27 posi one borrowed from Casper the friendly Merc yesterday.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Sounds like somebody is ready for some mountain climbing. ;-D

Comment

The 3.27 rear end and underside of Creamy hope to begin installing the 3.90 rear tomorrow

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1281911 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1281912Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1281913 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1281914

Comment

There is something wrong with the underside of that car. There is not a hint of rust there.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            There is something wrong with the underside of that car. There is not a hint of rust there.
            There's a hint on the control arm bolt and exhaust hanger.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Wednesday learned a bit about aluminum drive shafts from Panthers are not all HD using 1330 U joints. The shaft in Creamy was using a 1310/1330 joint on the trany end and a 1310 joint on the rear. Was thinking it had bastard joints on each end. Pulled a drive shaft out of the back that was to be used in a 5speed conversion which is for 1330 joints changed the rear flange to a 150 truck flange to match the rear ends flange. Then the front slip yoke to accommodate the tranny which i believe uses a AODE tail shaft because it wont fit a stock AOD. Had to modify the snap rings a bit to clear the grease fitting on these HD Spicer 1330 joints

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1281924 Click image for larger version

Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1281925 Click image for larger version

Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1281926

Comment

Thursday finished installing the rear.
                Friday Tighten everything down and installed the drive shaft. The larger rear flange on the shaft made it a lot easier to torq down the fasteners.
                Assembled the rear coil overs on the rebuilt shocks as the driver rear compression is wacked. Not sure why as the rears have few miles since they were rebuilt about 5k on them. Then installed them.
                Sat set the rear ride height and after some contemplation ordered fittings figured on needed for the brake lines. 3 brake line hoses will be measured up for after the fittings are installed.
                Dug out the emergency brake hook up kit and put some thought into how to hook it up.
                Attached Files

Comment

Brake line fittings showed up today. Installed what is needed to hook up hard lines, measured up for flex lines and ordered them. Hope to see them Friday if not Monday.

Comment

Brake hoses showed up today. Installed them and bled the system. Slapped the rear wheels back on and took it for a test drive. Have to take it easy to break in the new rear gears fr a while. So far dont hear any noise coming from the rear end. Might need a bit bigger master cylinder. Next is hooking up emergency brake it will take some thought.

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1281942 Click image for larger version

Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1281943 Click image for larger version

Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1281944

Comment

so clean...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Have finished breaking in the rear will be changing to heaver weight oil in it soon. Had some issues dialing in the brake system. Ended up needing a 1 1/8" bore instead of 1". Spent a lot of time making adjustments to the length of the boosters rod had the booster crap out on me too.
                        Fuel economy changes 9 to 10 in town now around 10 to 12, Highway just short of 19 but the run wasnt the best for good evaluation do to heavy traffic, accidents, and road work. Probably needs some jetting changes as its now running on the main circuit of the carbs instead of the idle circuit. Probably needed smaller jetting on the mains anyway as never had them completely dialed in before removing the A/F meter to set up the duallys metering.
                        Another issue I expected was an increase in oil temperature. First noted running before rear gear change running at 2500 RPM in drive which is were the engine was just couple 100 rpm above were the torq curve is really jumping up. Now OD is in that range at highway speeds which is what I was shooting for. have also notice an increase in vacuum readings at highway speeds which was expected another reason for leaner jetting as its pulling too much fuel because of it. Expecting after changes to be in the 24 MPG range again.
                        So an oil cooler maybe in the works before next summer. Some of you running lower 3.73 or lower gearing may want to consider it also especially if your running a stock oil pan.
                        My 9 year old reman mini starter gave up on me Friday so had to replace it and finish getting the car ready for a show Saturday.
                        Last edited by turbo2256b; 10-23-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Weather is becoming a bit crappy as winter approaches. Thoughts about installing a PI steering box and a reman power steering pump are in my thoughts as well as a big brake swap. Have most all of the parts needed except front brake hoses.
                          Also something havent mentioned is I used an internal frame rest converter and coating in most enclosed areas under the car in the rocker panels frame mounting brackets, and frame from rear bumper to and including the front torq boxes. The goal while changing brakes and steering componets is to pull the front bumper and do the front fenders enclosed areas the rest of he frame and a finial adjustment of the front bumper on reinstall.

Comment

Put the pedal to the metal for the first time since installing the new rear end. From a 15mph roll didnt hit the shift light so must have shifted around 6000 or a bit less. Spun my 295 50 15s about 2 revolutions before locking up. Cought up to cars infront of me on my 1/4 mark so let off but was in the 90mph range well before the quarter mark and not even in third gear yet

Comment

sounds great.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

what size tires and rims u running on creamy?

Comment

Working...
                                X