Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe a good move then. I just feel bad because I know how devoted you were to fixing it up and just being able to enjoy it! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

if you sell it to him then i suggest you have him join gmn as i would like to know the progress of this car.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

This car really gets around.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

like my ex girlfriend, who also was many others ex girlfriend lol. i hate to say it but, i see nothing but bad things ahead. these projects always start and sound good but, short lived. would be nice to see someone show that merc some love.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
            I'm driving the Tacoma again now, THANK GOD... so the Merc can go on the back burner and stay there until I'm out of debt and the weather warms up.
            Sounds like a nice situation. Even I have started looking into possibilities for getting something much newer (and legal in MI to put kiddo booster seats in the back seat without harness retrofits) for a more trouble-free DD.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
              At least my co-worker's fiancee is a Ford mechanic.
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

That could be a bad thing if he's one of the ones who doesn't know what Gator Grip pliers are and hunts for the OBDII port on a carbruleted vehicle.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Well, I hope that my co-worker is ready to buy this Mercury, because it looks like the best woman has the job and Samantha's electrical system is back to its battery-killing ways.

A '90 Tercel hatch just popped up, local, on CL and I'm going to try to nab it for $750 - assuming it has the 3E-E. If it's just a 2E with dual Aisin carbs I might pass but if it has Toyota EFI then I'm sold. It was fun while it lasted, Samantha, but you were too far gone before I ever had a chance to save you.
                  1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

i really approve the name samantha for that car. i was gonna name my town car that or beverley i flipped a coin for it and it ended up being beverley one side had an S and one had a B i got B on the flip.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Gee, who could have ever guessed that this would happen...

Reality comes at ya quick.

Comment

or as they say, "life happens". yet, i refuse to conform lol.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Well, I;ve completely lost faith in this thing. Apparently, this most recent dead battery was enough to push the rather new alternator to its breaking point, and while en route to examine the Tercel I had in mind, it crapped out. I didn't realize this until I was trying to pass someone and the engine was just running like shit and misfiring and shooting embers out of the exhaust system (pieces of cat, perhaps? :< ) and then when I looked down, the gauge read 10.8 volts. And dropping. I tried to turn back home and make it on the battery but the car soon crapped out completely... I mean absolutely nothing. I called up AAA for a quick tow, but this was my breaking point.

Here I was, in a car that wouldn't run.

No heat.

In the pitch black.

In 18 degree weather.

Me and the lady were nearly frozen solid by the time the flatbed came. If we weren't dressed as appropriately as we were things could have gotten ugly, because we were waiting over an hour for help to arrive. Fortunately, our "Mercury" clothing is usually warmer than our "every other car in the house" clothing and we could brave it, but enough was enough. I told the driver to tow it to my store, and had the old man meet us there to take us home.

And today, I took 4 junk tires from home, popped off the HP800's and toss them in the back of the Tacoma along with the full size spare, and also removed - and got a full refund for - the alternator. The fact the alternator died isn't the point here, by the way - sure, I could get a free replacement, but I've still got a draw that kills the battery completely. And okay, I fix that with a cut off switch - now, do you think the $1.25 per delivery that Papa John's gives to the girl is really going to keep gas in that brute's tank? The Tercel is STILL a better investment in the long run because the heat works, the A/C works, and the car doesn't die every 5th trip out somewhere.

So the car is at 518 Old Post Rd., Edison 08817 now. I'm saving the tires for my tacoma. If my co-worker still wants this car, I'll knock the cost of the alternator off of the sale price ($130 after employee discount) and let her take it with the old, but drivable 'junk' tires.

If not, remember that '90 Vic I was talking about that I wanted the AOD from? The scrapyard gave him $450 for that car. Probably more than a private seller would be willing to give me for a car with no alternator. I'll without batting an eyelash pull whatever unobtainium that '83's came with and have this thing crushed. I'd honestly likely be doing my co-worker a favor and sparing her the headache. This car left me stranded for the last fucking time. I'm sorry I didn't instead grab that '81 NC State Trooper car. It would have been a WAY better option than... this. I was in over my head before this even began, and underestimated the amount of damage that could be done to a car in 2 1/2 short years. I've learned my lesson on buying "pre-modified" cars... never again.

So, does anybody want a nice steelie full size spare with a brand new Definity HP800 on it? $50 + shipping or local pickup. The tire alone would sell for $86.99 + tax. Great all-around tire.
                          Last edited by Midnight Drifter; 01-06-2012, 02:21 AM.
                          1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Man, that SUCKS!! That is why myself and others here strongly suggested against buying the car. We weren't trying to be mean but saw all this coming and were kind enough to try and save you the grief. The positive side is you "got out" somewhat early (without doing frame repair, etc...) and now are that much smarter. Probably a bargain when looked at in that way. BTW I wouldn't sell that car to anyone unless they had a restoration business. Short of that - take the "ass-whippin' and junk it!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Sounds like a good candidate for the drag strip....Anyone need a 351\c4 combo?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Fuck that... just because this car is beyond your skill level dosen't mean you should crush it. If you can't handle fixing it, sell it as a project. That coupe looks straight, solid and original. To you it's problems may seem astronomical but there are people out there that could fix all it's problems in short order.

I don't really car about a Tercel. Obviously it's going to be more economical on a pizza route. Sounds like you really wanted a Tercel in the first place for all its economy and practicality.

You're really beating a dead horse with all the comments about what the previous owner did. We get it; you think Matt didn't do a good job with it. Why don't you move on and leave Matt out of it. I'm sure he sold it to you cheap enough. I don't even know Matt so it's more of a matter of reading over all the cheap shots in your thread that makes me think your attitude stinks.

Comment

Working...
                                X