No announcement yet.

My '89 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good cables help. I can't be bothered to replace mine, so I rigged it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I got lucky finding mine where I did. Most other junkyards only sell them with the rest of the transmission.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Transmission slips

New cable is on and the shifts are more where they should be. However, the transmission is still slipping. It does it whenever I leave the parking deck and sometimes when I'm stopped on a hill and try to get going. It doesn't slip at all if the car is already moving. Fluid level is where it should be and the fluid on the dipstick is still bright red. What could be the problem?

Comment

might need to tighten the cable a dink (technical term for 1mm or less). It also may be suffering from "Morning Sickness". If you only have the issues when cold, it could well be morning sickness. If it's sporadic, tighten the cable a little.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

How old is the fluid? When it was changed, was the gasket installed on the filter? If the gasket is missing it sucks air and slips in first.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I replaced the fluid and filter six months ago. I did forget the gasket around the filter the first time. I drove it about 10 miles before I realized what had happened, drained the fluid, and reinstalled the filter with the gasket on it.

Comment

Bad throttle cable?

To follow up with the bad cruise control and kickdown cables, I think my throttle cable may possibly be bad too. The pedal isn't very responsive and I have to push it down a bit before the engine responds. It feels as if the cable has extra slack. And it would make sense how it broke if the upper plenum was removed without disconnecting the three cables from the throttle body and having them snap.

Comment

I took it for a short drive today and noticed white smoke coming out of the driver's side of the exhaust. Passenger side is fine. Could it be the recently-replaced intake gaskets?

Comment

Also the coolant level seems a little low considering it was filled up not too long ago. The oil level on the dipstick seems pretty high to me and that was also changed recently.

Comment

could be. Could also be the egr spacer if you haven't bypassed the coolant lines going to it.

Comment

Just dropped the car off at the shop. Hopefully it will get fixed today (or tomorrow at the latest)

Comment

Good news everyone!
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	500px-GoodNewsEveryone.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1273842

Just got the car back from the shop. The intake gasket wasn't leaking at all! I guess I was wrong about seeing coolant in the oil. They did a couple pressure tests and only found a few leaks in various hoses, all of which were replaced. Guy who runs the shop used to work for Lincoln for a while and definitely knows his stuff. He did say that the timing cover gasket could go bad soon, but I won't worry about it much until the summer. Since I already sold my parking pass back, I won't be driving it much until then anyways.

Comment

well thats good. Could have been short drives not burning the moisture out of the oil. That can happen when its cold.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
                              Good news everyone!
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]38597[/ATTACH]

Just got the car back from the shop. The intake gasket wasn't leaking at all! I guess I was wrong about seeing coolant in the oil. They did a couple pressure tests and only found a few leaks in various hoses, all of which were replaced. Guy who runs the shop used to work for Lincoln for a while and definitely knows his stuff. He did say that the timing cover gasket could go bad soon, but I won't worry about it much until the summer. Since I already sold my parking pass back, I won't be driving it much until then anyways.
                              Totally read that whole post in his voice.

Glad it seemed to be a simple fix.

'93 T-bird
                              '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                              '88 Mark VII
                              '86 CV

Comment

Car is back on the road after sitting for five weeks! It got fixed five weeks ago, but it cost $280 to buy my parking pass back from the school. F that. I hated having it sit for so long, but it's back on the road again. I still need to adjust the transmission cable a hair. It shifts a little late.

In other news, our van needs a new serpentine belt and my sister's car needs a new radiator cap, upper hose, and window motor. I'll try and get as much of this done in the few days I'm back at home.

Comment

Working...
                                X