No announcement yet.

My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to sell my 91 and hang on to the 87. Perfect parts hauler, go to the office car, etc. I bought another car

One of the actuators is frozen, still need a gear kit for the back window. After crossing battery terminals, may need alternator and/or voltage regulator - we'll see.

Otherwise, I don't think this car needs much of anything except a VERY good cleaning inside and out, wiper blades, and some less UGLY wheels. Think I should throw some alloys on it? What kind should I get that's factory Ford?
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Can never go wrong with the turbine wheels.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria
      1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
      1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Junkyard alternator from a 90 Town Car fixed my crossed battery terminals stupidity.

The cargo area was FULL of water after last rain storm. The kid seats were in standing water :-( Headliner sagging. Believe the prior owner, when MAACO painted or whomever, they did not put sealer around the screws/bolts that hold roof rack on - so water came in all down there. The back tailgate glass was wet - so was the passenger side window C/D pillar - but not the driver.

I backed it under cover for now.
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

Comment

It could be that whoever installed the roof rack did not use the teflon inserts for the screws. Well at least whoever installed it did not drill through the headliner. On second thought maybe they did and replaced the headliner. I have seen that happen !

Comment

Teflon inserts for the screws? Did not know about this. Headlienr is definitely original to the car, nothing through the headliner luckily!
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

Comment

When I get a chance I will look at the shop manual. Maybe they will show them. Silicone sealer would do the same thing however it may be harder to remove the screws if needed later.

Comment

I looked at a shop manual. It does not reference a roof rack or mounting of such thing. It shows trim all over the car, but not the roof rack. Odd.

Comment

Wagons get no love! Thanks for checking though Tom!

So I scored parts off of an 88 CP yesterday that had the factory tow package Local guy parting it out.

1) Roof rack spoiler
                  2) 4 Turbine wheels
                  3) Exhaust from cats back. I cut the exhaust right after the muffler and will rejoin the exhaust there. Believe I forgot 1 hanger, so I'll go back and grab it.

Hoping to go back and get the 3.55 TracLoc rear end soon. That should be fun trying to remove the carrier and the pinion while laying in the leaves/dirt. Minus the front fender and under door chrome strips, the other pieces of trim are all there.
                  -Nick M.
                  Columbia, SC

Comment

When i put the stainless trim panels on the Towncar, I dipped the screws in silicone. they came out fine when I needed them to. The sealer was there more to keep the panel from rusting around where the screw punched a hole than anything else.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll reseal the roof tmrw night.

Tonight I took the TB/EGR coolant hoses and put them together as the gaskets between both are steaming.

Torqued lugnuts to spec tonight. Did a quickie wipedown of the nasty steering wheel. Rechecked all my fluid levels. Radio don't work, but DANG the heat works REALLY WELL. Changed the fuel filter (10 years old).

And took it for its first mayden voyage under its own power

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6182.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1276934

I drove it 40 miles running errands. It performed great. Gave it a half tank of gas and just drove.

Only issue I can find at fault is the speedometer error is realllly bad. Like the dash reads 85 when i'm really doing 70. Need to get my goodie bag out of speedometer gears.

Once I seal the roof up, I'll take it through the TOUCH (yes with brushes) car wash and let it scrub most of the dirt and check for leaks that way.

Not bad for a sub $1000 car that needed a $3 grounding strap from engine to frame, and another from frame to body. Think shifts AMAZING, nice quick shifts.
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

Comment

Those turbines look really sharp now that you got them on. Better than those wire wheel covers, IMO.

My Cars:
                        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I've noticed lately the car starts out in second gear sometimes. I'd shift it into 1 and it'd go. Figured old car stuff. It also shifted quickly from 1, did a quick shift to 2, then into 3rd. Then lockup around 35-40.

Today wasn't so good....

I'd driven down interstate at 70. entered downtown. Tried accelerating from a light and felt like brake torqueing ...but brakes are fine. It was half accelerating then i feathered the throttle and it kinda went, then did a really soft, crummy shift to 2nd and a yuck into third. It contined doing this the whole drive. Mind you, plenty of ATF, and I do have TV grommet installed OK.

I babied it back home. Got stuck at steep uphill traffic light. Tried to accelerate...it tried, but no go. Had to put in N, flashers, and reverse into a parking lot. Tried to drive it this evening - still doing it. It now accelerates but then it has a really long pause before trying for second and stutters. Poor wagon. It's never towed anything...fluid looks fine...

So IDK what the hell is going on. I thought it was shifting great. Figures something would happen. I have a leaky roof, and leaky windshield and now a junk transmission? Things come in threes!

Trying to decide what to do next...does it need TV cable adjustment
                          -Nick M.
                          Columbia, SC

Comment

Probably. Sounds like lack of pressure. Could also need a filter change. Worst case, rebuild time. Could also be low fluid.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Have you checked the TV cable grommet?

'93 T-bird
                              '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                              '88 Mark VII
                              '86 CV

Comment

I gotta say does anyone read what the op rights? He mentioned half the stuff that was recommended by you two. lol

/minirant. lol
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X