Mod Box - 85' Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 get the roundy box motor.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

License plate light is fixed. Now to find where I put my wiper arm linkages. So far was able to find one of the wiper arms but the rest of linkage is mia. I hope they didn't get thrown out accidentally.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
        License plate light is fixed. Now to find where I put my wiper arm linkages. So far was able to find one of the wiper arms but the rest of linkage is mia. I hope they didn't get thrown out accidentally.
        That would suck, especially if the linkage didn't have any play in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
          There are only 3 wires going to it so if I had to guess I would say high speed, low speed and ground. Can anyone confirm?
          I would say they're high, low and park (ground is through one of the mounting bolts), but not certain. I'll consult my '87 wiring diagrams the next time I'm at the shop.
          RyPow
          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
          2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
          1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
          2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
          2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

85's still used the fuckhuge wiper motor with different wiring.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

After a lot of cursing and some crying I've located the missing wiper linkage on the bottom of the trunk so crisis has been averted. I also decided to mod Aero wiper motor to fit rather than finding one out of a box. It will be 5 years newer than any box unit and finding replacements in future will be easier.

Comment

do post pics... I really want to see how this mod works.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Are the aero ones lighter? Every other motor on the car, starter to lock, seems to be lighter for the aero cars

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

It's lighter than the big honking thing that came in the 85'. I am not sure if it's any lighter than the later box motors. It has aluminum casing so it may very well be lighter. I will post some pics tomorrow on what was required to make it fit. Not really much to it.

Also, the only things keeping me from getting this car certified and plated is the wiper motor and one of the body mounts in the trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                      Are the aero ones lighter? Every other motor on the car, starter to lock, seems to be lighter for the aero cars
                      Any 87+ (and possibly 86) wiper motor is way lighter then the could-be-a-starter-motor-wiper-motor the 85's have
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

2 things left to do on the Mod Box before safety.

1. Hook up windshield washer.
                        2. Weld up body mount hole in the trunk.

Could someone post a pic of how the windshield washer is attached and more importantly where it attached? I looked around the cowl and only found one possible spot right in the middle of the windshield. Is that where it goes? Also, what does the washer look like on these? I am missing mine.

Comment

It drives...and nothing fell off.

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

This is so awesome.

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
                              1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

yes, just the one spot in the middle for the nozzle.

also... huray for the hood being on!

Comment

Working...
                                X