No announcement yet.

Larisa "1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass 2-Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah that looks suspiciously like a roll pin, those have no place in such an assembly. Solid is what you want, and good you were able to find the right part. Just a shame you had to undo all this work due to such a stupid issue. But again, there is the loverly killer dowel pin with some Cummins diesels, you ought to see the carnage that one is capable of if you happen to have already used up your daily dose of luck when it lets go. So yeah, you got off easy, and let's hope that's all the issues you'll ever have with it.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Is it an explorer thing? I know they got real cheap with the lifter retainers what with the plastic spiders and whatnot. I'm curious if my old explorer cam was like that as well.

Comment

yeah, that is not a dowel pin. Should be a solid piece of hardened rod. Basically its just drill rod. If you have any shitty drill bits of the right diameter, you can hack off the shank and grind a bevel on it. Its probably 5/16" if I had to guess.

Just make sure you have something in there to retain it. The mech fuel pumps had the eccentric to do it, the EFI cars used this paddle looking thing to do the same job. Its got a little finger that goes into the dowel hole to make sure it doesn't walk out. They are not a tight fit, and it can work loose.

Also, shoot some brake cleaner on the cam bolt and in the cam hole before you try loctite otherwise it won't do jack for you. It does not bond to oil. Mind the torque too, it ain't much of a bolt. You'll also want to verify its the proper grade 8 bolt. 45 ft/lb is quite a bit for a 3/8" bolt, and a cheese grade one will strip on you.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

pic of the roll pin that broke because a dowel pin was not used like it was supposed to, its hollow opening on the other end of it.Click image for larger version

Name:	12794508_552492464913094_4132195777639698861_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1279014

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
          -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            Is it an explorer thing? I know they got real cheap with the lifter retainers what with the plastic spiders and whatnot. I'm curious if my old explorer cam was like that as well.
            Fawk if I know, every Expy engine I worked on got a different cam so I never checked this, and to be honest I never even thought of checking it.

Also, if bolt ain't damaged reuse it. It's a 3/8" and 45 lbs-ft is the upper limit of the dry assembly of a Grade-8 bolt, if you oil it 45 is actually too much. So that's another reason to clean the cam threads and dry them out nice and good like as Gadget said. By the way Loctite is not considered lubricant, so 45 is good still.

And +1 on the retaining plate of any sort. If that is left out and the pin walks out there will be another timing set job in the car's near future...
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsLincoln View Post
              pic of the roll pin that broke because a dowel pin was not used like it was supposed to, its hollow opening on the other end of it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]44665[/ATTACH]
              K, so I was wrong, that ain't no roll pin, them are actually a flat piece of steel that gets rolled onto itself to become a round pin, usually with some spring properties to it. Idk wtf this is, but it obviously wasn't up to the task.

Comment

This is a sign, she's beckoning to be brought back to the junkyard she came from.

You fix your damn axle yet? I know that was like two years ago but I was wondering that the other day.
                Good work Matt, always good to see good ambition when it comes to projects.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                  Fawk if I know, every Expy engine I worked on got a different cam so I never checked this, and to be honest I never even thought of checking it.

Also, if bolt ain't damaged reuse it. It's a 3/8" and 45 lbs-ft is the upper limit of the dry assembly of a Grade-8 bolt, if you oil it 45 is actually too much. So that's another reason to clean the cam threads and dry them out nice and good like as Gadget said. By the way Loctite is not considered lubricant, so 45 is good still.

And +1 on the retaining plate of any sort. If that is left out and the pin walks out there will be another timing set job in the car's near future...

Jusy to be safe i bought a new ARP cam bolt and washer, gotta pick up some arp ultra torque fastener lube. It calls strictly for that and not locktite because the bolt is made of chromoly.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                  1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post

Just to be safe i bought a new ARP cam bolt and washer, gotta pick up some arp ultra torque fastener lube. It calls strictly for that and not locktite because the bolt is made of chromoly.

Comment

Last time I put one in, I used regular old engine oil and a torque wrench. Its the same cam bolt that has now been out of the car 5 times now I think since I've owned that engine. Once it ejected on it's own Its an original Ford piece with close to 200k on it. Not precisely sure, its not the original engine to the car, though as I recall the donor car was pretty close in mileage to what my car had when I did that job initially.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have a quick question guys, the hole on the cam that the dowel pin goes in, does that hole go through both sides of the cam or only partially within the cam ?, i want to make sure there is nothing else left in tjat hold when i install the new dowel, i just didnt know if the hole was drilled from thefactory completely through. I wiuld say not, because id they did then the dowel can work its way out and fall out into the rotating assembly and really fuck up things. On the other hand i got the timing chain gear dots to link up at 6 on the cam and 12 on the crank.

Comment

It doesn't go through.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            It doesn't go through.

Thank you thain . Wanted to make sure i got all the old pin that was in there out now i wont be afraid to tap it in there with a hammer, and not have to pull it back out which probably would be a bitch getting back out

Comment

Update: Dowel pin ordered will be here monday, also scored for $82 worth the money in my opinion a set of 8 remanufactured 4 hole 19lb injectors flow matched, with a lifetime warranty, this will assure i have good injectors, and should clear up my issues. This seller on ebay had amazing deals for fuel injectors, i would recommend him to anyone who's looking for warranty on remanned fuel injectors, he had hard to find ones too, surprisingly he had 24lb injectors 4 hole design with our type of connectors, but i will get those later when i go to mass air.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsLincoln View Post
                                Update: Dowel pin ordered will be here monday, also scored for $82 worth the money in my opinion a set of 8 remanufactured 4 hole 19lb injectors flow matched, with a lifetime warranty, this will assure i have good injectors, and should clear up my issues. This seller on ebay had amazing deals for fuel injectors, i would recommend him to anyone who's looking for warranty on remanned fuel injectors, he had hard to find ones too, surprisingly he had 24lb injectors 4 hole design with our type of connectors, but i will get those later when i go to mass air.
                                Does he have 60lbers? I'm interested in a set of those.
                                __________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                                The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                                It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
                                X