Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I call it the Monolith. I have plans for it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
    Lots of nice things

Er. Um. Wow. Thanks for all that. I needed that, it kinda made my day.

Uh. To address the discussion:

I was leaning toward a twin screw because of reliability. It seemed like centrifugal chargers were a lot like turbos and thus, kinda fragile. But it's a lot easier to replace a turbine than it is to replace engine parts, so I can see the point there. I also wouldn't need to worry about hood clearance with a centrifugal charger, since it'd sit around the front of it instead of on top, from what I've seen anyway. My main concern would be the whistling noise I've heard some chargers make. That would drive me nuts.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you said about GMN. I would still be so damn clueless about so many things if not for the guys here. I mean, I've even got part numbers for riduculously specific parts from here. Your comments about progress and learning also made a lot of sense and...honestly kinda cleared up some apprehensions I had about myself.

Basically, in the long run I want something that is as practical as possible done in a way that looks good. Rugged, but classy. Capable, but comfortable. I plan on keeping it for as long as concievably possible, so I want to update it as much as I can to make it dependable and something to be proud of.

The LSD and tires have made a HUGE difference. It snowed five inches today and I drove from Jerome to Twin Falls and back with very little difficulty. It goes where I point it and doesn't get stuck anywhere, regardless of ice or snow. I'm also REALLY glad I got that wiper switch replaced; the intermediary setting is a godsend.

I do plan on trying an automotive class sometime this year to see how it goes. I would rather have an apprenticeship under someone, though. I'd learn a lot faster and better that way, but I don't see it happening. Hopefully I'll meet some people while I'm there.

And lastly, the fender really isn't that bad at all. If I knew what I was doing I could get it out with a rolling pin and a rubber mallet. There is a small dent, but it's in too small a place for a plunger to work. Once the fender is back in the proper shape it should tap out without too much trouble. It was more of a shock than anything, since it was the first time my car has touched another since I got it, and I've maneuvered the thing through some pretty insane things before without even realizing it.

Um, it says "More info here:" but there's nothing after it. I'm not sure what happened there.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

I did some more looking into it, and from what I read twin screw superchargers make their boost at all RPMs and spool up the fastest while only creating heat through pressure. Which, from what I understand, would mean that that'd only be an issue at high PSI and a radiator upgrade would take care of it otherwise.

The centrifugal types are much easier to install and very easy to intercool, but can't move nearly as much air as a twin screw because of their volume and so don't gain much outside of WOT. The main reasons I want one is for the power to move things, for increased mileage, and better engine life by reducing how hard the engine has to work to do what I need it to. It doesn't seem like a centrifugal type would help much, if any, with mileage since they're so similar to turbochargers. The area where it provides the most gain is also the area where it would burn the most fuel.

Or am I confusing RPM with throttle position?

EDIT:....And centrifugal types are very noisy. Very, VERY noisy.
      Last edited by ootdega; 01-13-2015, 09:05 AM.
      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

you can set up either for the RPM range you want it to operate in. That's just size and pulley configuration. Smaller pulley to spool sooner. With the right size for your application, you can get a pretty flat torque curve out of it across all RPM. Figuring our what size of screw/snail and what pulley size however, I have no clue about.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've seen some superchargers/kits v1 & v2 on CL locally, looked into it and v1s scream like jet engine whine. V2s are much, much quieter but I don't know how quiet. Maybe search some YT vids for idle & rev on Mustangs for an idea.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Twin screws and any blower that work off of the engine as an accessory will kill fuel economy. I hope you know that when you buy a performance blower, you're going to get blower performance and blower fuel consumption. I like the idea of a turbo better, seeing as you can drive around off of boost (or making a small amount) and when you want power, you have it. Yeah you have a bit of lag from a stand still to WOT, but what does it matter. You're in a rolling barge.

I like the idea of the centrifugal blower, because they're a easy as balls to set up as an accessory and you add a inter cooler. From the quick bit of scouting out I've done on my car, it'd be far far easier to remove AC and the condenser, since it'd be hard to make room otherwise. If you use a stock Foxbody peocharger, for example. You'd need to swap to a fox style accessories brackets. A twin screw or roots blower Is always awesome, just because it's awesome. But you're right about hood clearance.
            A blower without whine, isn't a true blower.

Annnddd. If you're looking for power and boost for reliable daily use. I'd think about upgrading your engine before bolting on a blower.

Disregard my spelling and lack of reading, I'm on my phone.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
            The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
            It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Also keep in mind a Centrifugal like a Procharger (also applies to turbos) put less stress on the bottom end because its boost comes on progressively with rpm, so you can drive it normally with no extra stress, so they can be added to a stock bottom-end engine set up for lower boost (a lot of guys run 7.5 psi max) and the engine will last as long as it ever would. Yeah it doesn't have as much low-end torque as a twin-screw but the less stress plus install/setup simplicity make them popular. They're by far the easiest forced induction to install.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                you can set up either for the RPM range you want it to operate in. That's just size and pulley configuration. Smaller pulley to spool sooner. With the right size for your application, you can get a pretty flat torque curve out of it across all RPM. Figuring our what size of screw/snail and what pulley size however, I have no clue about.
                From what I can read and watch on the subject, it seems like it has more to do with the gear ratio than the pulley or snail size.

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                I've seen some superchargers/kits v1 & v2 on CL locally, looked into it and v1s scream like jet engine whine. V2s are much, much quieter but I don't know how quiet. Maybe search some YT vids for idle & rev on Mustangs for an idea.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
                You're right, it is much quieter. Almost silent. That's something to consider then.

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                Twin screws and any blower that work off of the engine as an accessory will kill fuel economy. I hope you know that when you buy a performance blower, you're going to get blower performance and blower fuel consumption. I like the idea of a turbo better, seeing as you can drive around off of boost (or making a small amount) and when you want power, you have it. Yeah you have a bit of lag from a stand still to WOT, but what does it matter. You're in a rolling barge.

I like the idea of the centrifugal blower, because they're a easy as balls to set up as an accessory and you add a inter cooler. From the quick bit of scouting out I've done on my car, it'd be far far easier to remove AC and the condenser, since it'd be hard to make room otherwise. If you use a stock Foxbody peocharger, for example. You'd need to swap to a fox style accessories brackets. A twin screw or roots blower Is always awesome, just because it's awesome. But you're right about hood clearance.
                A blower without whine, isn't a true blower.

Annnddd. If you're looking for power and boost for reliable daily use. I'd think about upgrading your engine before bolting on a blower.

Disregard my spelling and lack of reading, I'm on my phone.
                Well obviously. That was addressed earlier in the thread. (...I think) I'll be converting it to H.O. Mass Air before I do any forced induction of any kind. When I do I'll be replacing and upgrading any and all parts involved. Pistons, lifters, rockers, injectors, exhaust, everything. If I go all-out and do everything right I should be at or close to 300 horsepower.

So, I wouldn't really need much more power, I just want a charger to increase fuel economy, and I'm not sure a centrifugal type can do that. It seems too similar to a turbo to give that impression. I could of course be wrong, and I kinda hope I am, because if I can get that out of a centrifugal type then it would be by far the easiest and least expensive option.

It...wouldn't be nearly as awesome, but I can live with that. I'm still kinda wary of the frailty of them, since I've seen many photos (and some Ebay listings) with damaged turbines. It wouldn't take much to do it either.

I'm not gonna be removing anything from the car though. I'm keeping A/C and anything else. If it'd be difficult to do without removing anything, then I'd think it'd be easier to just modify the hood. From what I can see though, every Foxbody with a V2 I can find with Google ends up relocating the alternator to fit it. We've got a bigger engine bay to work with.
                Last edited by ootdega; 01-13-2015, 07:38 PM.
                89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Originally posted by ootdega View Post
                  From what I can read and watch on the subject, it seems like it has more to do with the gear ratio than the pulley or snail size.
                  I misread Sly's comment. He actually addresses my concerns about fuel economy before I even had them. So it's pretty much settled that I'm going with a V2 Vortech. Probably the Si model.

This is the third time I've made a double post to correct myself. Sorry about that.
                  89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

meh... new subjects can be trying. I know I'm still learning stuff on this subject.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                      meh... new subjects can be trying. I know I'm still learning stuff on this subject.
                      That's true. I'm just overly hard on myself.

But now that that discussion has reached a conclusion, I'll go ahead and log the other stuff I'll be doing. All of this stuff is sitting in a box in the corner right now, but once it warms up I'll get started on them.

A pair of Gabriel Ultras for the front, which I should be able to install myself. They were $33 each and have a lifetime warranty.

I got this brush guard for $30 in Boise. I need to push that dent out a little and I have a pretty solid idea on how to do it. I won't be putting it on until after I do the alternator converstion though, since I'm going to mount fog lights on it.

I won't be able to use the side guards, since they're not as wide as the car (the thing fit in the trunk), so I'll just be going with the bull bar and coming up with some things to bolt onto it later. No idea how I'm gonna attach it, but when I do I'll try to make it as solid as possible so it'll do its job.

And then there's these things. I got them to replace the chrome trim I screwed up sideswiping my grandma's car, but they weren't what I was expecting. They seem to be shaped to fit exactly over the outward flare on all four fenders. Pretty clever. The hardware bag came with clips and screws, but there aren't any holes for clips, so I'm guessing that since they're labeled for each corner individually even though they look identical, the screw holes on them line up with the holes already holding the trim in place. Also pretty clever. The set was $51 plus shipping.

I'm thinking I'll just put these on over the top of the OEM trim, just because it protects the edge of the fenders. These'll just be some extra armor, if you can call it that. I don't know how they'll look yet because it's been too freakin COLD to go outside for more than a minute.
                      Last edited by ootdega; 01-15-2015, 08:05 AM. Reason: Typo.
                      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Where did you pick up the fender trims? Never seen them for the older cars.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Where did you pick up the fender trims? Never seen them for the older cars.
                          You'd be surprised what you can find on Ebay. Oh, and I actually paid $37 plus $21 shipping. They've raised the price by about 3 bucks since then. The shipping cost is because it comes in a five foot tall box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RI-02-MEGMA8...662169?vxp=mtr
                          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

That brush guard is going to look AWESOME. I wish I could find one very much the same. Keep us updated on how those Gabriel shocks are, most of us run KYBs.

To the motor opinion, I think you're over estimating the power of the HO cam. I believe flat tops, 1.7s and the HO cam with decent heads has been proven to net something like 240 RWHP, make sure you do a shift kit too if you haven't already.

Glad to see what you're doingh with the car! Looks great!

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                            The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                            It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

.... Keep us updated on how those Gabriel shocks are, most of us run KYBs....
                              I think Sly might be running Gabriels on his car. Might be mistaken.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

That brush guard is going to look AWESOME. I wish I could find one very much the same. Keep us updated on how those Gabriel shocks are, most of us run KYBs.

To the motor opinion, I think you're over estimating the power of the HO cam. I believe flat tops, 1.7s and the HO cam with decent heads has been proven to net something like 240 RWHP, make sure you do a shift kit too if you haven't already.

Glad to see what you're doingh with the car! Looks great!
                                Thanks. The problem right now is getting these goddamn bolts off. I've thrown enough WD-40 at the things to fit a square block through a round hole, but no dice so far. I'm gonna need to borrow some tools.

I've read good things about the Gabriels, but we'll see what happens when I get them put in. And yup, a shift kit is on the list.

So the camshaft is a bottleneck? I could always look elsewhere, but I'd like to keep the same smooth idle it has now. My end goal is around 325, with the charger. i'll definitely settle for less in favor of reliability and efficiency though. What should I go with?
                                89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Working...
                                X