Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I call it the Monolith. I have plans for it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks a bunch for the info. Highly anticipating the instillation of these on your vehicle. Interested in how they fit the front fenders.

Originally posted by ootdega View Post
    You'd be surprised what you can find on Ebay. Oh, and I actually paid $37 plus $21 shipping. They've raised the price by about 3 bucks since then. The shipping cost is because it comes in a five foot tall box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RI-02-MEGMA8...662169?vxp=mtr
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Maybe make some extensions for the wrap-arounds... like a little stylized set of bars that are a little wider apart top to bottom between a couple of plates so you can drill holes to mount the wraps where they should go. Then you can decide what height you want the wraps at.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So the camshaft is a bottleneck? I could always look elsewhere, but I'd like to keep the same smooth idle it has now. My end goal is around 325, with the charger. i'll definitely settle for less in favor of reliability and efficiency though. What should I go with?
        heads largely. With good air movement and a good intake, a 302 can certainly make reasonable power with the stock camshaft.

http://airflowresearch.com/articles/article087/A-P1.htm

mind you that is probably a bit unrealistic for most people to hit, but there is precedent. Also keep in mind you're losing about 40-50 hp through an AOD, so that 400 hp at the flywheel might show around 350 to the wheels. 240 at the rear wheels is ~290 at the crank, and that is not unreasonable for a better set of heads, intake, and exhaust. More cam can get you more power but if it won't move air in and out, that will only help so much.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          Maybe make some extensions for the wrap-arounds... like a little stylized set of bars that are a little wider apart top to bottom between a couple of plates so you can drill holes to mount the wraps where they should go. Then you can decide what height you want the wraps at.
          The wrap-arounds are actually attached with plates. Once I can get these unholy things off, I'll take some pictures.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          heads largely. With good air movement and a good intake, a 302 can certainly make reasonable power with the stock camshaft.

http://airflowresearch.com/articles/article087/A-P1.htm

mind you that is probably a bit unrealistic for most people to hit, but there is precedent. Also keep in mind you're losing about 40-50 hp through an AOD, so that 400 hp at the flywheel might show around 350 to the wheels. 240 at the rear wheels is ~290 at the crank, and that is not unreasonable for a better set of heads, intake, and exhaust. More cam can get you more power but if it won't move air in and out, that will only help so much.
          Ah, I forgot to factor in the transmission. That makes more sense now.

Well, the cam would be to supplement all of the parts I'd be using for the Mass-Air conversion. The article in that link uses $1325 cylinder heads, so I think it'd be more economical to invest in a more efficient camshaft and port a set of GT40Ps nicked from a $450 junkyard engine.
          Last edited by ootdega; 01-16-2015, 08:16 PM.
          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

The wrap-arounds are actually attached with plates. Once I can get these unholy things off, I'll take some pictures.
            I know, hence the suggestion to make intermediate spacers to extend them outward.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I know, hence the suggestion to make intermediate spacers to extend them outward.
              Oh, I see now. I can't quite picture what you were trying to describe, can you elaborate?
              Last edited by ootdega; 01-16-2015, 10:58 PM.
              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

I'll try to draw a quick pic later.

Comment

I'll try to draw a quick pic later.
                  Sweet.
                  89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

I think I found the camshaft I want. This seems like it has everything I'm looking for, and it's only $171 to boot.

The more I learn about this engine platform, the more I like it. It's really easy to make something great and inexpensive enough that someone like me can actually do it. I can look at this giant list of mods I wanna do and not be delusional when I think "I can do that."

Being poor your whole life makes having really nice things kind of emotionally overwhelming.

Anyway, um...

Specs:
                    http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=812&sb=2

Sound:
                    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Well, the cam would be to supplement all of the parts I'd be using for the Mass-Air conversion. The article in that link uses $1325 cylinder heads, so I think it'd be more economical to invest in a more efficient camshaft and port a set of GT40Ps nicked from a $450 junkyard engine.
                      I'd be inclined to go the other way. Put the best heads on it you can afford, and then figure out the rest from there. Porting a set of P heads is not exactly easy. They are very easy to F up, and by the time you have them ported, rebuilt, and ready to go you're probably halfway to buying heads that would out-perform them in every possible way. The other thing you get out of a more mild cam with good heads is stock drivability with power on top of it.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        I'd be inclined to go the other way. Put the best heads on it you can afford, and then figure out the rest from there. Porting a set of P heads is not exactly easy. They are very easy to F up, and by the time you have them ported, rebuilt, and ready to go you're probably halfway to buying heads that would out-perform them in every possible way. The other thing you get out of a more mild cam with good heads is stock drivability with power on top of it.
                        Good point. The more complicated I make it, the less durable it becomes. Kinda defeating my own purpose there, and it'd be a whole lot of money for not a whole lot of gain. Okay.

The cam I linked in the previous post is very mild and versatile but still a good improvement. It should work just fine with Mass-Air, GT40Ps, and 3.08 gears and it's cheap. It doesn't look like it should require anything special to run it well either, except maybe new valve springs.

I think it's a good compromise. Diminishing returns, you know?
                        Last edited by ootdega; 01-17-2015, 02:22 PM.
                        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Here's the quick drawing of what I was thinking of with the spacers.

Comment

I like that sketch. You also took care of the dent for him. lol But really that sketch looks pretty dang cool.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Here's the quick drawing of what I was thinking of with the spacers.
                              Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              I like that sketch. You also took care of the dent for him. lol But really that sketch looks pretty dang cool.
                              That's...brilliant. I like it.

I just went and measured the thing and it's about 61 inches from the bends of the wrap-arounds. Wikipedia lists the car's width as 77.5 inches (six and a half feet, sweet unholy hell), so that's about 16 inches to cover, give or take. Won't know what I'll have to work with until I get the central bull bar mounted, but that's...a really good idea.
                              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

meh... give a little clearance... go at least 10 inches both sides for a 2 inch gap.

Comment

Working...
                                X