No announcement yet.

85.03 Crown Vic Coupe "CVGT"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I plan to have the basics, Oil Pressure, Volts, Water Temp. Also need to find somewhere to mount a Tach. later on. I'm thinking of building a basic center console for it with cup holders and whatnot. But It needs an engine first.. Oh Priorities.

I've been detailing the engine bay for the last week or so, painted most of it black. Thought it didn't look good enough so I did it again.

Going to dissasemble the front upper control arms, shocks, spindles (I'm imaging that the coil will just fall out with the UCA out.) Sand down and paint the LCAs. After I buy some heads I'm going to go pick up all the Big Brake parts from the JY. Currently stuck between using Enamel paint for the frame or just pay a bit more and get POR15.... Choices.. I think I'm just going to use POR15 since I want it done right and to last.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Put the lifters in the shortblock, timing cover on. Found a cheap set of used explorer heads, may go get those today (Hour and a half drive, one way). Unless the girlfriend wants to celebrate this anniversary of ours..

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
        Unless the girlfriend wants to celebrate this anniversary of ours..
        I don't think Phil will mind.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          I don't think Phil will mind.
          Rude.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Get a room.

Just make sure those heads are actually usable. The last set of "ready to run" heads I bought needed to be milled flat from a shitty gasket grinder cleanup job, and 8 new valves. I think it was 3 intake valves, and 5 exhaust valves that were bent. The exhaust valves they couldn't get exact matches for, so it got a full set of those.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Get a room.

Just make sure those heads are actually usable. The last set of "ready to run" heads I bought needed to be milled flat from a shitty gasket grinder cleanup job, and 8 new valves. I think it was 3 intake valves, and 5 exhaust valves that were bent. The exhaust valves they couldn't get exact matches for, so it got a full set of those.
              Yeah.. My current place is.. Buy shitty heads and try to get lucky or just buy good heads and don't be a cheap asshole. I'm thinking of just finding or buying good heads. There's some things that deserve not to be cheated on.

What's going on with your Town Car? Haven't heard much about that.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

If you're going to use untouched P heads on a 351, then you're going to limit your camshaft selection. You don't want to use an aggressive grind with restrictive heads, although they are an improvement over stock. Your best bet would be to either use the P's and an appropriate grind (siumilar to a Lightning cam, or HO grind), or go aftermarket, and more aggressive. An aggressive cam with P heads is going to be a turd compared to a P head/ mild cam combo.

I have a set of TW170s in the boxes, and an Anderson N21, but I think those are going to live in/on a 306 for My Dad's '65 coupe. The TKO will more than likely take up residence there as well.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

That's the cam that's installed in it now.

It's a mild cam, I would love to find a pair that have head head work done, I may port and polish them myself or have them done by a machine shop that I know. I may have them decked to raise the compression a bit. I know they're going to be a real restriction, especially on a 351. I'm planning to use 1.7 RAs and new valve springs right off the bat, unsure of what I plan for porting, though... I plan to have more work done in the future but just want to get it in functional order.
                  Last edited by Bobcat; 10-28-2014, 08:57 AM.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend porting them yourself. Its easy to do more harm than good.

Someone posted a good how to on porting P heads one time; maybe it was either Larry, or 88grandmarq?
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

P heads are very weird to port. Or so I've heard

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post

What's going on with your Town Car? Haven't heard much about that.
                        virtually nothing. I drive it on occasion. Still has the same list of shit that I need to do with it that its had for a while, plus that whole smashed quarter panel thing that some other guy in CT needs to hurry up and fix for me
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                          I wouldn't recommend porting them yourself. Its easy to do more harm than good.

Someone posted a good how to on porting P heads one time; maybe it was either Larry, or 88grandmarq?
                          Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                          P heads are very weird to port. Or so I've heard
                          Bought GT40s today, they were reasonably cheap and came with a bunch of other goodies.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          virtually nothing. I drive it on occasion. Still has the same list of shit that I need to do with it that its had for a while, plus that whole smashed quarter panel thing that some other guy in CT needs to hurry up and fix for me
                          Just start calling him everyday and reminding him. He loves when people do that

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Triple post.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Bobcat; 10-29-2014, 10:27 PM.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Triple post.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Bobcat; 10-29-2014, 10:27 PM.
                              __________________________________________________

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Wednesday 10-29-2014

Whale got sold last night, down payment received. He's coming for it on the 11th. I get to enjoy my time with it for another couple weeks then she's off to NJ.

Real damn downside is now I get to start fixing my F250.
                                - Tore out the passengers manifold because it was leaking. Got new gaskets, broke a bolt in the manifold (woops).
                                - Picked up plugs, wires, cap, rotor. The cap and wires look brand new, replacing it all so I know it's good.
                                - Need to get some front tires for it, got some sweet mud tires on it. I like.
                                Going to keep it mainly stock just for winter DD use.
                                Anyone want to buy a plow??
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	1276632

Painted the driver's side of the coupe's frame tonight, used the air wire brush to clean it all up then did two coats of gloss black. Planning to do a good heavy layer of paint for protection.
                                Went and dropped the Gt40s off at Nick's, put in a couple bolts (Not really thinking) and they fit the 351.. Odd, their bolt holes were supposed to be 7/16s and the 351 is 1/2".. The guy said they're ported, I'll look into that when I have time, doesn't matter to me. Gasket surface is good on them, valves are not bent either. Also picked up a MSD 6AL, MSD Cap, Ford Racing Plug wires & MAC Prochambers. Heads, ignition, mufflers. 170$ Hour 1/2 drive, worth it.

Bunch of random pictures, taking the engine out with my dads excavator. Painted all the metal in the engine bay Gloss Black with 5 coats of high gloss clear coat.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1276638Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1276639Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1276640Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1276641

Winter plans:
                                > Put in 351, get it running and tuned
                                > Big Brake swap
                                > Aero rear end LSD, 3.73s
                                > Speedway rear coils or possibly cargo coils. Wagon/PI rear bar(If I can find one..)
                                > 925lb front coils
                                > TKO 500 or TR3550 5spd swap? Looking into it.. No T5.
                                Last edited by Bobcat; 10-29-2014, 10:26 PM.
                                __________________________________________________

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
                                X