No announcement yet.

1985 CV - A Canadian 2bbl 302

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a snakedriver specifically for getting at weird access screws. Came in very handy when I had the 85 b-body with a q-jet.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      I have a snakedriver specifically for getting at weird access screws. Came in very handy when I had the 85 b-body with a q-jet.
      Good call... I have one of those too. The snake driver, not an 1985 B-Body... used to have one though... 1985 Caprice. Good car, until I crashed it. Ah, to be 18 again...
      ************************************************** ******************************
      1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
      1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
      http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

"Where's my Honda?"
        "Sorry babe, I had to crash that Honda."
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I did the double filter gasket thing once on a boat. It was a top mounted remote oil filter. Fired it up and it pissed oil everywhere, all over the upholstery of a 1 year old boat. I spent the entire rest of the day detailing that boat to get all of the oil out of the seats, carpet, and out of the engine bay. Cars suck far less in that regard, at least it just gets oil on mechanical bits. Just imagine if the oil filter was inside the car and that happened.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, it's certainly nice to hear that I'm not the only one who's had some oil issues!

Update:

New Oil filter was Fu-kayed thanks to the double ring action. Replaced it. Got new egr plate gasket and new carb mounting gasket installed. Sourced replacement mounting gasket from local parts shop.. fel-pro. Took some pictures to illustrate the thickness difference between stock and the mounting gasket that came with my kit... it's about 25% thinner.

Got that all installed and discovered that the threading on the fitment that attaches my fuel line to my fuel filter on the carb was worn out and it was leaking gas all over my intake manifold. Got some thread sealer from my dad that he uses on his boat. Let it sit for four hours and that did the trick.

Also, and this is the BIGGEST news, I figured out my fast idle cam indexing while the carb was off! My choke pull off wasn't pulling enough, so I adjusted it, reset the idle screw and syncronized things with the coke plate opening and it all works amazing now! No more constant fast idle and she runs great!

Still a little hesitation on fast throttle from slow/stop, but all in all working really well. Tranny shifts awesome too! It's nice to have things finally working well. Next job is attacking some of the rust spots over the winter and cleaning up some of the trim. Also, next year is new exhaust time!

WOOT!
            ************************************************** ******************************
            1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

Here are the pics I snapped while I was working on the car over the weekend:

Click image for larger version

Name:	carb off.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1278216
              Carb is off the car. Makes it way easier to mess with the fast idle cam. But now that I know what to look for I think I could do it on the car now... which is nice.

Name:	gasket thickness comparison.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1278217
              You can see how much thicker the stock gasket is compared to the one that came with the rebuild kit. The one I now have installed matches the stock thickness. Really cut back on boiling gas in my carb.

Name:	gaskets installed close.jpg
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1278218

Name:	gaskets installed.jpg
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1278219

These are some shots of the gaskets installed. The colour of the EGR plate gasket is a light gray and the one that came out is black, but they seem to be made of similar material.

That's all for now.

Comment

Cool. Figured there had to be something a bit goofy there. Didn't realize the pulloff had an adjustment screw. Carbs really ain't my thing. I know them decent enough in theory, but its those little details that are important.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Cool. Figured there had to be something a bit goofy there. Didn't realize the pulloff had an adjustment screw. Carbs really ain't my thing. I know them decent enough in theory, but its those little details that are important.
                  Yeah there's a 1/4" hex head in the back of it. Twist it to the left for more pull and to the right for less.

Drove the car to London again, this time there were no hiccups at all. No hesitation or anything. Just no balls! lol But what do you expect for 130ish hp (when new) and 2 tons?

Next year is new exhaust w/ my fresh from Georgia Lincoln Logs, maybe some rust repair to the body. Then in a few years I'll do the head swap, new cam, 4bbl conversion and some suspension work. Should probably upgrade the brakes too... just better performing pads and rotors, nothing crazy.

If I ever need to do some rear end repairs, then I'll ad the limited slip but I'll leave her as is for now.

She won't be a 12 second car or anything, but at least she'll get out of her own way!

Long-term saving up for a late 1960s big block galaxie fastback. it'll be my 45th birthday gift to myself.

PS - there's a definite hissing/whooshing sound coming from the direction of my brake booster. It happens when the brakes are applied, but also sometimes when the throttle is applied. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by SeanP View Post
                    PS - there's a definite hissing/whooshing sound coming from the direction of my brake booster. It happens when the brakes are applied, but also sometimes when the throttle is applied. Any thoughts?
                    Might be the the auto parking brake release valve.

I'm sure there's a topic here on it but the one on CVN is stickied: http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...38#Post1452538

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                      Might be the the auto parking brake release valve.

I'm sure there's a topic here on it but the one on CVN is stickied: http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...38#Post1452538
                      Thanks! That sounds about right. I looked at it briefly the other day and found where it was. Can't seem to find where the hose goes through the fire wall though... it's attached to a hard shaft (giggle) not a hose. I will remove it another day and see if the vacuum hose going through the firewall is routed through the shaft.

Just a question about interior trim though for the folks who know... do your boxes have the stuff under the dash exposed or is there supposed to be some sort of interior panel to cover this stuff up? It looks like there may be spots for this stuff to screw into the dash, but it also might never have come with it. Just think the mess of wires is a little ugly... but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanP View Post
                        Thanks! That sounds about right. I looked at it briefly the other day and found where it was. Can't seem to find where the hose goes through the fire wall though... it's attached to a hard shaft (giggle) not a hose. I will remove it another day and see if the vacuum hose going through the firewall is routed through the shaft.

Just a question about interior trim though for the folks who know... do your boxes have the stuff under the dash exposed or is there supposed to be some sort of interior panel to cover this stuff up? It looks like there may be spots for this stuff to screw into the dash, but it also might never have come with it. Just think the mess of wires is a little ugly... but that's just me.
                        Wonder if my brother's '87 GM has one? I never drive it so don't know. Can't say as I remember an auto release, though. Just remember him pushing the pedal to set it and pulling the handle to release it. Would think it doesn't have one but a confirmation would be nice...

Comment

Ash and I crawl around at junk yards all the time and Town Cars seem to be the only boxes with a cover to hide all of the stuff under the dash.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

That's good to hear. I would hate to think that i'm missing a third of my dash!

Comment

my 88 MGMGS and 93 CVLX have the carpet shields to hide all the under-dash ugly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hmmm, maybe I'll keep an eye out for some ugly hiding carpet shields on an MGM or Towny.

On another note... gotta adjust my hot curb idle up a little. My alternator charge is a little low, so when I come to a stop the light comes on. If it revs ever so slightly the light goes away... so... hopefully a straight forward fix. I still have to see about plugging that vacuum line, but that can wait for now. The car's going into storage soon so I'll fiddle with cleaning some trim pieces, adding little touches here and there. I'll post as it happens!

Comment

Working...
                                X